Do You Have A Workout Or Diet Buddy?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by Zyni • Apr 15, 2015.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Do you have a friend or someone with which you workout on a regular basis or a diet buddy? I've found that tends to make it a bit easier to stay motivated if you have someone else doing it along with you to "keep you honest," so to speak.

There are even groups, similar to a support group type of thing, online that you can join for support and motivation. Have you tried doing anything like this or partnering up with somebody else?

2. AtlantaSports

AtlantaSportsActive Member

Threads:
    I was beginning to have a workout partner, but then I forgot to pay the gym membership for the gym that he works out at, and that lead to me arguing with the staff. Needless to say, I will not be going back to that specific gym ever again, and that is sad because I was starting to make some gains and some progress.

3. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    I do partner up on certain days. It helps me a lot to have the company and the energy of someone else whose goals are the same. It seems like, when I get weak, she has the go gettem spirit and I ride on her coat tails. It helps.

4. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    In a lot of ways I guess you'd say I am a loner and I guess you'd say it shows quite a lot in the way that I exercise. My husband is usually there in the mornings drinking coffee and watching the news while I do a floor routine. Jogging I always do alone. Although I don't think of it as alone because that's always a rather prayerful time for me.
    I've kept up near daily exercise routines, though, for over thirty years now and have never been inclined to go to a gym or seek out a partner for any of it. I guess I'm a self starter, pretty much.

5. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    I definitely think I need a workout buddy. It would help me be more accountable. A lot of my training isn't very focused and I no doubt fool myself into thinking I'm working hard. I guess if I joined a bootcamp type of training set up I would probably see the benefits as well.

6. allswl

allswlActive Member

Threads:
    At the moment I don't have one but I used to workout with some friends some years ago before life got in the way. I had to change the times I worked out. One benefit about working out with my buddies was I did what i set out to do in every training session. We encouraged each other and had a kind of competitive edge amongst us.

7. AtlantaSports

AtlantaSportsActive Member

Threads:
    That is right where I am at right now. I need more motivation to work out and eat healthily, so I am really in need of a partner at the moment. I just need someone that I can keep accountable and I need someone who can help keep me accountable as well. It will benefit more than just me if I can get this.

8. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am not currently dieting with anybody. In fact, I am not currently sticking to any one specific strict diet. I am dealing with IBS though, so I am being very conscious of what I eat. So, in that respect, I suppose I am following a diet. We are all currently eating healthily in my household, so I guess you could say that we are all each other's diet buddies. I sometimes workout with my older sister. She has three children though, so she is not always available.

9. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I tried this a few times and it never worked for me. I prefer my freedom and own timetable to do things. Waiting and working around others stresses me out so doesn't work well for me mentally or physically.

It is nice to have company, but only if they are reliable and on the same wavelength.

10. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Yes! It really does make the whole process of working out and trying to stay healthy so much easier. While you aren't really competing, having someone else there working out with you will push you harder and further than if you were by yourself.

Online support groups are also great as its just another means of motivating you to keep on track with your diet and workout routine. I go on MyFitnessPal all the time as just one example.

11. teabwoi

teabwoiActive Member

Threads:
    I do and luckily for me he is my dad. I really think that if you want to stay on a diet and you want to continue to workout that you will need someone that will help you to stick to the goals that you have set and that you want to achieve. I have tried going at it on my own already, but this is something that has never worked. It always seemed like I would start and stop and never be able to make it something that was really consistent for me so having him has really helped me to make it.

12. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I work out alone, but sometimes I think to myself I might enjoy a workout buddy. However, I think I might find myself distracted more than anything else, and possibly self-conscious. Plus I like being free to exercise whenever I want, without having to worry about someone else’s schedule. If I want to socialize I think groups/classes would probably suit me better.

13. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    My dad is my workout buddy. He runs every day and joins different marathons every year. He convinced me to run to stay healthy! Every morning, we run for a few hours at the park near our home. :) He inspires me to exercise every day to keep my body fit and healthy.

14. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I have a workout buddy. And that buddy is my older sister, but she has three young children, and that means that she is not always available for the workouts that we have scheduled, unfortunately. Not that I mind working out by myself. I enjoy those sessions too. But, as I am sure that most of you will understand, it is a lot more fun to workout with someone that has similar goals as you. You can push and encourage one another, and just rejoice in reaching your fitness goals with one another. So it sucks that we can't always do our workouts. But when we do get to, we have lots of fun.

15. Femiluv

FemiluvMember

Threads:
    One of my friends was my workout buddy for a few months before he moved. It was so great to have someone to workout with and motivate me on lazy days. I've never had a diet buddy but I'm guessing it'll be pretty similar. Extra motivation is always nice.

16. Dame6089

Dame6089Active Member

Threads:
    My girlfriend is my workout and diet buddy. While we don't always workout together, we always encourage each other to exercise and eat well. There is no better motivation than feeling guilty because your partner is being healthy when you aren't taking care of yourself!

17. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to jog with my friends during summer, and it's nice to have a companion when jogging. But sometimes it can be distracting when all you do is just chat and you don't jog anymore.

18. lordrenly

lordrenlyActive Member

Threads:
    I am in a circle of workout buddies that makes it easier for me to motivate myself in doing my workout. They can also act as a spotter whenever I lift weight that can be too heavy for me to lift alone. Overall, having a workout buddy is a must especially if you have specific goals that you want to meet. Without them, I guess you will be wasting your gym fee while finding excuses of not going to the gym.

19. thatnewmommy

thatnewmommyActive Member

Threads:
    Not exactly. Just started this month with something I'm calling "La Mision" which involves a change in eating habits and exercising. The exercise plan is called the "Lasy A$$ Can't Do SH!$ Fitness CHallenge". LOL I'm keeping a weekly blog diary and sharing it online. It's something I made basically for a friend who lives far so I can motivate her. LOL

20. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is the sad thing about my self-imposed workout sessions: I hardly have a workout buddy. In the past, whenever I try to dance Zumba with the help of a pre-recorded program in DVD, my mom, my siblings and my dad were always there to join me (but it's only my mom who's so into it while everyone else just goofed off). Nowadays they're busy with their respective endeavors so I'm fending off for myself. My college friends and some of my colleages invited me to be their workout buddy but we didn't really take our plans seriously. I'm thinking about joining a flash mob Zumba party when I have the time. That way, it won't be so lonely.