Do you have good heating for the cold weather?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by TPhoenix • Nov 2, 2014.

1. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    It's beginning to move into the inevitable cold weather that most of us dread when it comes to the emergence of the Winter season. With that comes making sure that your house will be warm and you won't be freezing like crazy in it. How warm is your house usually during the cold times of the year? Do you get an adequate amount of heat coming in to cover the whole house, do you have to buy electric heaters to keep warm or do you just keep warm by padding up inside your house and use sheets and blankets?

2. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know what it is, but my apartment can go from ice cold to desert warm in a matter of minutes. When the heat is on, IT IS ON and it often becomes too hot, but I don't have control of when it comes on or off. So, I'm often reaching for something to keep me warm until the heat turns back on. It's crazy, but I've gotten used to it.

3. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Ah, this is one of the challenges in my household: to start investing in good heating to combat the cold weather. I guess the reason why my parents try to put off installing a heating system in our house is because we live on the mountains and depending on the weather, it can be so hot or cold out here. There's never a fixed temperature unlike in flatter areas.

4. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    My challenge for the cold weather is beginning to weatherized so I don't lose heat. I've learned over the years to start early. Checking weather stripping; replacing last year's caulking on the windows; pulling out the old draftstoppers :) - and that's just the downstairs! It's pretty comfortable upstairs - the heat rising and all, but I still pull out the flannel sheets and heavy comforters for those deep temperature drops.

5. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I'm definitely in the dreading the winter weather camp of people...cold is just not my thing at all. The heating in our apartment is good overall, but I don't like having to crank it up too much, so we end up having it turned out a moderate amount of the time, and on top of that we have insulated black out curtains, and tons and tons of warm, fuzzy blankets. I definitely prioritize keeping warm and comfortable this time of year but I like to be reasonable about my bills as well, so the mix of different things to keep warm works for us.

6. jackslivi

jacksliviMember

Threads:
    We moved into a better insulated house in April and so far this house is amazing at keeping the heat in. We plan on buying calk to just touch up a couple of spots but so far our heating bill has only reached to 140. Last year we paid over 600 for heating. It was awful but the house was in horrible shape. I was never so happy to move into a better house in my life.