Do you have your own indoor herb garden?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by chiofthenorns • Sep 15, 2014.

1. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I like gardening. I found a list online of the different herbs that you can grow indoors with minimum supervision. Here are some of them:

1. Basil (Great for pesto/pasta!)
    2. Chives
    3. CIlantro
    4. Dill
    5. Mint
    6. Oregano
    7. Parsley

At home, I have Basil and Oregano. I love Basil, so I grew this about a year ago. I also chose to grow oregano because of its medicinal benefits. Which of these do you have at home?

2. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    Having herbs in your home is really easy and saves you lots of money. Herbs are kind of expensive in the grocery stores around me. They are usually 2/3 dollars for a little packet. If you plant them you'll have more than enough and never run out (at least that is my experience).

3. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Right now I only have parsley and mint growing in my balcony. Last week I planted chilli peppers, I'm curious how they'll do. The plants grow not that tall and once they start producing 'fruit' look pleasing to the eyes. I also had basil but lost my plants, I'll replant soon tho'. I find the experience of growing herbs indoors quite interesting. From the food perspective I always have fresh ingredients at hand, and from a monetary one, I save some cash, albeit just a little.

4. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    I love cooking and usually add flavor in the form of herbs and spices. I always like the idea of a mini indoor herb garden so that I can just use whatever fresh herbs I need straight from the plant. However, every time I have tried to do this, the plants are dead within days. I guess I am just not a green fingered person.

5. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, we do. We started doing this four years ago, and since then we have not had to buy any more seeds as we have been able to plant new plants each year from the old ones. It saves us a little bit of money as we would always have bought herbs in the past, and this is something that we just don't have to do anymore now that we're able to provide our own. I would recommend it to anybody, because your mood is lifted when there are plants growing in your home, and you will also be able to use them in order to make your food taste and smell great, so you really do have nothing to lose with it!

6. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    Oh, definitely a topic I have some interest in..thanks for the list =). If I were to have one at all, it would have to be indoors given that I'm on the 8th floor of an apartment, lol. I'm not exactly a green thumb or anything but I think I could manage a small herb garden. And how lovely to have living things in your home *and* save money with it? :)

7. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have some herbs in pots outside. Indoors is probably better because many herbs like partial sun, I just don't have a lot of indoor space right now because of my moving boxes and whatnot. Anyway, I have basil, peppermint, spearmint, chocolate mint, cilantro and lemon balm. If you like Mexican food, cilantro is very handy for making salsa and pico de gallo.

8. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I’m thinking of starting a mini indoor herb garden. There’s one spot in the house that I think would be ideal to grow a few herbs. Fresh basil is one of my favorite things ever, and I got pretty spoiled spending a lot of time with someone who grew it. That is no longer the case, and buying fresh basil at the grocery store is far too cost-prohibitive, so it’s good to know it’s ideal for an indoor garden. I’d definitely start with that, and I think I’d supplement it with oregano. Peppermint appeals to me as well, but my cat seems to love any sort of mint so I might worry she’d eat my plant, haha.

9. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In my dreams, I have a large kitchen, with plenty of counter space, and a butler's pantry, with an herb garden. I did, at one point, have an herb container garden on my patio, when I lived in a different place, but someone stole the herbs. I am unable to have real plants indoors here, unless they're under glass, or other protective device, because my cats are way too attracted to greenery, and very clever. I planted lettuce in my balcony container garden last year, and the cats ate it. I was happy they were at least eating something that wouldn't poison them, but I was disappointed, since I'd planned to eat it myself. I love fresh herbs, and will someday have another herb garden, either indoors, or just outside the kitchen, since that would be very convenient.

10. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I am trying to get an indoor herb garden started. I have basil that sprouted, but I'm still waiting for the parsley, tulsi, and the slowest of all, cilantro. I've had to try a second time with these because after over a month, only the basil had sprouted. Hopefully now that there is more daylight hours I'll have better luck with this.

11. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not growing any herbs indoors or outdoors at the moment, but I know plenty of people that are growing some of the herbs you've mentioned here. It's a simple task to do, and you pretty much sit and wait until the herbs are ready for whatever use you have planned. It's a low effort, high reward situation when it comes to growing herbs at home.

12. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Nope. We do have outdoor garden though. Just a small-ish patch, but hey, it works. We have both veggies and herbs there, I'm not actually sure what's there this year, but I think there's strawberries as always, some parsley probably, and tomatoes.. Not sure what else. D: