Do You Impose Cost Per Item Limits?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Denis Hard • Jan 21, 2016.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    One way a number of frugal folks save money is by imposing limits on the amount of money they'll spend on any clothing item. If it's a shirt for example they could set a limit of say no more than $10 a shirt. This compels them to buy only clothing they can afford to and stops them from buying more expensive clothes even if they could be heavily discounted.

Do any of you use this strategy to save money?

2. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    I actually do that all the time whenever I shop. If I see that an item is more than my budget limit for that particular kind, I often leave the item and look for something cheaper that could fit my allotted budget. For example, just like what you said, with clothes if a shirt or blouse is more than $10, I'd leave it and look for a cheaper one with an almost same quality or design as the previous one I saw. I've even become more frugal now that I'm a mother so setting limits is always my thing. :)

3. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I do this especially for higher priced items like phones or laptops. I do this for smaller items like shirts as well but I have a bit more wiggle room when it comes to those because they are inexpensive items so even when they get a bit more expensive I can still afford them. However, I do still put somewhat of a limit even on those because even with clothes it can get yw too expensive as some items can go for insane prices just because of the brand and in that respect it's why I try and shop only at stores where items are cheap.

4. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:It really works if you set a limit on what you can spend and still get what you wanted! I like to wait for sales like at Safeway and CVS weekly. If you get lucky you'll find in-store specials too on what you need. I found this week bread we needed for just 2.50 a loaf at CVS. :)

5. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    Not really but I do impose a strict budget for myself and I make sure that I never go over my budget for the week. I haven't thought about this idea yet and this is actually the first time I heard about this. I'd say that this is somewhat great, but people may encounter problems when it comes to needs like food, and other necessities. For wants such as clothes, shoes, etc. then this is a great way to save.

6. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Generally speaking, yes I do 'impose cost per item limits' on clothes I buy. I've always held my hands up and admitted to being a shopaholic. But what I'm not is a mug, so I shop very smart. I like to mix designer gear with high street stuff, but lean more towards the latter. So often when I'm looking at designer stuff, I observe these little rules I set for myself to ensure I stay within budget. For example, I refuse to buy a simple, basic T-shirt for over £50, regardless of what brand name it is. In fact, in order for me to even pay £50 for a T-shirt, it would have to either be very good quality and/or very dressy.

7. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I generally stick to a frugal budget when it comes to clothes shopping and this is to make sure I hunt out the best deals possible. I like designer clothes as much as the next person, but I do not like paying designer label prices. I am not going to spend $200 on a pair of jeans, but I will see if I can find those jeans for a new or used price of $100. The problem is that some clothes are high quality and it is worth it to spend the money on them. I am willing to spend $300 on a North Face or Columbia coat because I know that it is going to last me at least 5 years and I make sure I choose designs that are not going to go out of style.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I do that always whenever I'm buying any new item in general, since I don't have unlimited funds to begin with, lol. I think that strategy is quite effective since you manage your budget so that you don't overspend to begin with.

9. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I always set limits on what I can spend per item. I won't spend more than £5 on a shirt, £10 on trousers or jeans and £10 on sweaters or outerwear generally. I'll spend up to £15 on a pair of shoes however, because regardless of what clothing I'm wearing with them, I have to wear shoes, therefore the shoes are likely to get more usage than the clothes over a shorter period of time and I'd want them to last a similar amount of time.

Occasionally I will spend more on clothing however. For example, I bought a thick winter cardigan last year that I can wear around the house (to help lower heating costs) and I did spend £20 on that. However it's still as good as new and I expect it will last a number of years yet.

10. Flowerpower

FlowerpowerMember

Threads:
    I'm naturally frugal so I don't need to actively impose limits on every day items like food, however I refuse to fall into the trap of buying expensive electronics and gadgets, not that I buy cheap ones but just something that is reasonably priced and within my means.

11. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do set a price limit for an item when I am shopping. I am shopping for a tablet with a price tag of no more than $350 for the type of work I want it to do. I am not looking for an entertainment tablet, I want it to work like a laptop, right now I have seen prices higher that $1,000, still looking.