Do you keep food in plastic bags?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Dora M • Oct 2, 2014.

1. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's quite common for people to keep food in plastic bags, believing that it will keep fresh for longer. Some friends of mine keep their bread and vegetables in plastic bags in the fridge, along with herbs and even leftover food. I feel absolutely appalled by it, thinking about all the toxins that are leaching from the plastic into the food. I would never use anything else but natural materials to store my food in. How about you?

2. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    No I don't do this. For the most part it's messy and it doesn't look to pleasing to the eye having a lot plastic bags bunched in and it's a mess to have to check in every bag to see what's in it. I usually take them off the plastic and place them somewhere more easily accessible and not a hassle to put in the fridge.

3. dizzykitsune

dizzykitsuneActive Member

Threads:
    Sometimes I do... where as other times I get grossed out by it. It all depends on the food, I suppose. My mom has put mashed potatoes in a zip lock bag in the fridge before, but that grosses me out the most. It gets far too messy for my taste.

4. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    It depends on the food.

I wouldn't put leftovers back straight into a bag, for example.

I sometimes leave tomatoes in the produce bag, though. And bread? It says in its own bag that it comes in, so I have no problem with that one either.

5. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't have a problem with it either, the bread stays in the plastic bag and sometimes if I use zip lock bags for other items. The important thing is not to leave it too long, but for a a few days is fine. Lots of food comes with plastic wrappings already, so I don't see how it can be toxic, for example a ready made meal has a plastic film and my tofuturkey wrapped in plastic when I open it.

6. LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08Active Member

Threads:
    The only type of plastic bag I use is zip lock when I am storing food. I do not keep any food in its original plastic bag because i feel like most foods go bad fast in them. The original plastic bag that foods come in has so much air in them which exposed foods to a lot of things.

7. MikeyPaine

MikeyPaineActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I've never had a problem storing food in plastic bags. I've never really thought about it, but even after I do, I still don't have a problem with it. For example, if I have left over Pizza, I put it in a plastic bag. No big deal.

8. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    No, we rarely use plastic these days. We avoid them; we unite with the universal campaign of avoiding the use of plastic bags. And even now that it appears to be safe to be using plastic bags, speaking of its chemical composition, we still don't use them. Simply for environmental reasons.

9. Danyel72

Danyel72Active Member

Threads:
    Over the last year, I have totally thrown away all of my plastic. I only store our food in glass containers. I also tossed all of our plastic cups, plates etc... I have read many articles that say keeping and especially heating your food in anything plastic has been found to lead to cancer!!! uugghh!! I don't know if it's 100% true or not but I'm certainly not taking any chances!

Danyel :(

10. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    I think it depends on the food. Personally, I wouldn't be sticking a pan full of leftovers into a bag, but maybe some veggies that I didn't use can go in one.

11. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I don't usually keep them in plastic bags actually. well not very often. However when I do I would have to say that it does seem to keep fresher for longer. What sorts of foods are you putting in plastic bags anyway? Mostly I just keep it in the original packaging that it came in and that stores fine. I think tupperware is a good storage unit anyway.

12. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    Not really. Plastic has a certain taste to it that sticks to food. I only use plastic bags when I need to take something to work with me like a piece of fruit or bread. I make sure though that I only keep it there for like an hour or so.

13. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    From what I've read, it mainly becomes an issue when the plastics are heated, which I seldom heat anything in a plastic bag. I have however considered switching all of my plastic storage containers over to glass instead though - not only because of the toxins issue, but also because I am sick of them getting stained so easily or melting in my dish washer.

I would also say, there are still some benefits of storing things in plastic bags too though. Items like onions or perhaps some leftover curry dinner you made, can easily stink up your fridge and contaminate the flavors of other stuff in there such as your butter. Also, when I am thawing meats in the fridge such as pork or chicken, I don't want raw juices dripping all over everything else, so I consider it much safer to have them in their own sealed bags.

14. sharpayvargas1

sharpayvargas1Member

Threads:
    As much as possible, I lessen my use of plastic bags to reduce my garbage as well. Especially that they are non-biodegradable. I use plastic bags only when I need to like to make sure that the food are separated that they don't get mixed or when there is a strong smell that I don't want other items smell the same. I don't want to get too paranoid of getting cancer from plastics because I always use plastics everywhere and if I use them for a few times to organize my food, that wouldn't make much of a difference, right?

15. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    It's either plastic bags or plastic containers of some sort. Although, I rather stick with plastic bags, because it saves more space and you can store it in smaller spaces in a refrigerator or freezer. Also, what type of food I'm storing, will determine if I want to keep it in a plastic bag or not; some foods do not store well with plastic bags.