Do You Keep Gifts You Don't Like?

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by Denis Hard • Mar 31, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Even those buying gifts ought to ask themselves that question before they they buy someone a gift. If you knew the person you were getting a gift would throw it out the next day, would you even bother buying them that gift?

So, supposing you get a gift you don't like how long do you keep it? A day? A month? Longer?

And here's the tricky question, would you expect someone who doesn't like a gift you send [them] to keep it . . . maybe "forever?"

2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I definitely don't expect someone else to keep a gift from me that they don't like!

As for me, it varies. If it's someone close to me and the gift was obviously important to them, then I may keep it. Otherwise, I get rid of it.

3. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't keep something I didn't like. I'd also tell them I didn't like it, not because I'm offensive, just because in my circle of friends and family that's how we all are. We can have a laugh and a joke about things like that. In fact, we've even been known to go out of our way to buy the most atrocious gift we can find just to see the reaction we get.

I remember once receiving a glass elephant with a pink trunk once...the next Christmas I wrapped it up and sent it him back!

4. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    Before I buy a gift for someone, I first do a little research about him/her, what does he/she like: favorites, hobbies, and so on. I always make sure that my gift would make him/her a bit happy. I don't want the item to go right at the trashcan. It would really hurt my feelings.

And yes, I'll still keep the gift even I didn't like it. I always do appreciate someone's thoughtfulness.

5. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes I do when they are from certain people. I have a scarf my grandmother knitted and as she is dead it's out of respect and I have never worn it. A friend who died also gave me a gift and I keep that also out of respect. I don't get many gifts these days so it's not an issue so much, but I have had awful gifts and if I have regifted or given then to goodwill if I'm not bothered about offending that person.

6. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    That's a good question. I used to always keep everything because I really do appreciate the thought. Lately, though, I've decided that it's probably best to just get rid of things I don't like if there is no sentimental value attached to it. I no longer want a bunch of things in my home that I either don't like or just feel so-so about. They just take up space.

7. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    I tend to keep them because of some thought instilled in me that it is rude to give or throw away a gift. I start thinking about the person who gave it to me and how they would be hurt and offended. I don't, however, keep these items forever.

8. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I certainly don't keep gifts I don't like, I just don't see the point. I pass them along to someone who can get good use out of them, either someone I know or charity. I feel bad about it, but I'm sorry, I just don't see the logic behind keeping something I don't like that's likely to collect dust when someone else can use it LOL For instance, I once received this hideous scarf that I just couldn't bring myself to use. I donated it to charity, and in fact saw a few there in the same style!

Likewise, I wouldn't take offence if I bought someone a gift they didn't like and they then gave it away.

9. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't throw out gifts that I otherwise don't like for at least a few weeks. I'll give the giver the respect they deserve and try to like the gift. After maybe 15 days, though, I'll give it to someone else or throw it away if I can't find a use for it. I'm not going to hold onto something that I don't particularly like because that's pointless.

10. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I usually re-gift presents that I get that I do not like. I wouldn't mind someone re-gifting a gift I give them if they do not like it. As long as the gift is being used by someone who wants it then I am fine with that!

11. kjonesm1

kjonesm1Active Member

Threads:
    I hardly ever do not get gifts that I don't like. I guess the people who get gifts for me know me well enough to get something they know I will like. In the rare occasion I get something I don't like, I usually wrap it back up and regift it to somebody else who might want it.

12. ABC123

ABC123Member

Threads:
    My poor husband has a history of trying his best to get me clothes as gifts. It is unbelievable how this man who sees me everyday and should know what kind of clothes I wear can mess this up so often. I've gotten five different articles of clothing from him in which I tried to wear, but after one try, I just couldn't wear it again. He had come to realize it. Now he keeps receipts and says as soon as I open the gift, if I don't like it he has the receipt. I give him credit for not giving up.

Other peoples gifts I don't care for are usually displayed or kept for about a year. Sometimes stored away until I find them and then I get rid of them either by goodwill, amazon, or regifting.

13. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    That is a hard one because I always feel bad if I get rid of something that someone bought me because they were obviously thinking of me when they got the gift. I usually hold onto it for a couple of years, unopened and then donate it. I know that some people do not put much thought into the gifts they get others, but I can always tell when someone has put their heart and soul into something they have purchased for me. I alos try to take that kind of thing into consideration when I purchase a gift for someone else.

14. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, because then I do not have to pay for gifts in the future, I can simply give away the ones I previously received and did not like. I actually think that over 1/3, maybe almost 1/2 of gifts that I receive I do not like.

15. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I tend to keep everything that's been given to me but it's more just because I usually can't be bothered to sell them individually. I did gather a bit more of them this past Christmas though and I'm planning on just trying to sell them all in bulk so I wouldn't have to work too much and still have a good amount of extra money.

16. TommyVercetti

TommyVercettiActive Member

Threads:
    If I don't like the gift or if it's really of no use to me, I usually just give it to someone who'll make good use of it. I don't feel guilty doing it. I'm thankful for the gift that person gave me, which is what that person wants, and I get to help another person in the process. win win.

17. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    Out of respect, I usually keep gifts I don't like for about a week. After that I try to get rid of it by giving it to someone who I know will love and appreciate it. I don't want to see it in my house just sitting there and collecting dust so I might just pass it on to others.

18. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    If I gave someone a gift that they didn't like (especially if it was expensive) I would hope that they would have the courage to tell me so that I could take the gift and get my money back, and maybe just give them half the cash instead.

If I'm given a gift that I really don't like, I try to find a use for it first before I give up on it. I have rarely met a gift I didn't like, although it does happen on occasion. If it's something really not my taste, I'd probably just box it up and put it in my garage for awhile, and eventually throw it away.

19. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do. It's not like I'll get anything better out of them, really. So I may as well keep it out of respect, after all the people gave it to me with good intentions.

20. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There's no harm keeping gifts. It's rare for me not to like gifts. I've always conditioned myself to appreciate the gifts that people have given me because they made an effort to find me one. If the gifts wear away with time, there's little choice left but to donate if not dispose of them when you can no longer use them.