Do You Keep Your Gadgets On Charge All The Time?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Theo • Jul 28, 2015.

1. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to keep my laptop on charge all the time, that is until the charger over loaded somehow and that was an expensive mistake. I did think if the charger wasn't attached to anything then it wouldn't charge, but it did so now I unplug the charger literally each time, rather than to use it while on charge.

I think we get lazy with charging until something like this happens, so always unplug or switch off the socket.

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I had bought some cheap Chinese chargers a few years ago and since the chargers I had previously worked well enough no matter how long I left them plugged into the sockets, I left these chargers plugged in all the time whether they were in use or not. In less than a month, the chargers were dead. From then on I always unplugged any charger I used the moment the device whose battery is being charged is fully charged.

3. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm pretty lazy, since it seems there are chargers for various devices all over the house. I mainly leave them plugged into the electrical sockets, but don't keep the devices plugged in all of the time. I've even bought longer cords so I can leave the cords plugged into the sockets and not have to get out of bed, for example, or move the couch. This is an older house, and the outlets are definitely not always easily accessible. I wasn't aware that the chargers could burn out simply from being plugged in all of the time, since this has never happened to me, but I'll be more cautious now, and will unplug those I don't use all of the time.

4. BFjohn

BFjohnNew Member

Threads:
    I used to do that util the battery exploded. I learned a tough lesson that time and after that incident I haven't kept any of my gadgets on charge the whole time.

5. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This applies more to things like phone and laptop chargers rather than things like lamps that you have to flick a switch for. Many people leave the chargers for phones and laptops plugged in and then just attached them, that's when they can burn out especially if you use lots of graphics or keep it on charge constantly.

I never noticed but my cable (white) had a yellow tinge and that must have been the wires overheating inside. I did a little test and plugged in my charger and the L connector was hot even when it was not attached to the laptop.

6. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    A lot of people do this, and I don't think that it is a good idea at all. In the past, I always left plugs and things switched on, but I recently got a smart meter for my electric that tells me what I'm using and where, and since I did that I have been able to spot ways in which I can save money. It is well worth it, and you should always take a look at what you have switched on, and see if there is anything that you can get rid of, as it will certainly save you a lot of money in the long term.

7. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree with the above poster, in that a lot of people like to leave their gadgets on charge all the time, especially their cellphones or mobile phones. I have heard a few stories about phones being charged over night and then catching fire, and burning the entire area where they were charging. I have to charge my tablet frequently, but never when I am asleep.

8. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's a complete waste to charge a device that's already full to begin with, and I don't know why you'd do that, even out of laziness. Less advanced devices will continue to draw electricity from the outlet, which can degrade that device's battery over time and waste electricity. Smartphones don't suffer from that extra draining because they cut off the electricity upon completing a charge, but it's still a waste nonetheless. The best charge range for devices is between 30 and 80%. You don't have to have it at 100% constantly, and constant charging isn't good.

9. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never do this. Not only is it an unnecessary waste of electricity, it can actually cause small parts inside the charger to burn out quicker than expected. It's actually meant to be beneficial to battery life to let it discharge completely around once every two weeks.

10. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    I had no idea! I wasn't mindful of this at all, it wasn't on my radar.
    Time to do a little extra research and see what's up. Could have just learnt a valuable safety lesson.

11. Sunshine703

Sunshine703Active Member

Threads:
    Well I do this when I'm using my laptop and most of the time it's on charge. I get a bit lazy and forget while I'm using it that the laptop is already fully charged. And for the programs that I need to work with, it drains the batteries relatively fast, which is why I resort to just sticking the charger in as I work. But I wasn't aware that charger's could overload and now that I think of it, it does get kind of hot after awhile.

But I don't really charge my phone or tablet all the time. Only when it needs too. Sometimes I do it overnight when I need it the next day, sometimes I just bring an external battery charger along to charge with me in the car while I'm out. But they're definitely not on charge all the time.

12. DreekLass

Threads:
    I agree. Once a device is charged, I take it off charge immediately, because I learned my lesson the last time I keep my smartphone charging even once the battery was full. It destroyed the battery, and caused all sorts of problems, that even after I purchased a new battery, had ruined some aspects of the actual smartphone.

My tablet though - the battery drains embarrassingly fast. So literally I have to leave it on charge whilst I am using it, even if it is full at the time.

13. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I always wondered if I would damage a charger if I accidentally left it plugged in and unattached to a device. I’m in the habit of unplugging all chargers at night (unless it’s something that needs to charge overnight, of course, then the charger will be unplugged during the day) so it rarely happens, but I have done it a handful of times. So that’s a good reminder to keep being mindful of what’s plugged in.

14. DreekLass

Threads:
    Whilst I never leave actual devices charging at all times, or over night, I have been known to leave chargers plugged into the wall - sometimes switched on and other times switched off. Still, I have been told that this can also be dangerous to do. But the mains is really hard for me to get to, so I tend to leave the charger plugged into the walls, even if they are not connected to a device.

15. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't usually do that because I have heard it is not a good idea. I do tend to keep my laptop plugged in though...I guess I should not be doing that. I do not have my cell on the charger though, actually you will save electricity as well if you dont keep your items plugged in.

16. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I always unplug the charger from the socket everytime when the charging is done, because I read that it's the right thing to do. Even if the charger cuts off the electricity flow to your battery, it still consumes electricity, so that's another thing to consider. I did damage my cellphone battery recently and it can't hold a charge anymore due to overcharging using a universal battery charger. I opted to use that instead of the original charger which I also have at the expense of my original battery, so I learned to not just use any charger these days.

17. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    I rarely do this nowadays. Even if the gadget like my phone is not yet fully charged and I have to do something outside, I remove it from the socket. I am super paranoid about electricity and fire so I am extremely cautious about leaving my gadgets charged for extended periods of time.

Before, I always left my laptop on charge. Then, the battery broke and would not work on its own. So after that mistake, I never left my laptop charging too much. It breaks the battery and is also a fire hazard.

18. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do keep my laptop hooked up so that I do not have to worry about running out of power while working. My phone and tablet I disconnect once it is charged up. Power surges are a concern during a storms so I unplug the power cord that has all the cords plugged up.

19. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have to say I'm guilty of this nasty habit, but that's just with my tablet (eReader). Because we're often left without electricity due to the severe shortage of electricity here, I grab every opportunity to top up my battery because I never know when the power will go. Plus when there's no electricity, the only thing I can do is read. I have noticed that this is taking a toll on my battery though, because it seems to be struggling and doesn't last. I've heard it's a good idea to let the battery empty out once in a while, but I have never done this.

20. paultrump1

paultrump1Member

Threads:
    No,I never charge overnight.I'm afraid of over charged and something bad would happen