Do You Know How To Flash Or Root Your Phone?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by sidney • Oct 2, 2015.

1. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    One of my smartphones has turned to brick as I was using it, so it has not been used for 2 years now. I researched a bit and it seems like I need to update the firmware of the phone. The technicians that I went to before told me the phone is totally dead and they can't repair it, but now I think I ought to try repairing it on my own. It's dead anyway so I have nothing to lose. So I'm just wondering if you know how to flash or root your phone? How did you learn how to do it?

#1Oct 2, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
  2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are some phones which can't be flashed. You'll need to verify first if yours is a CDMA phone.

Second step is to find flashing software. I don't know if there are some which are free but using Google you can easily find out whether you are in luck or not. Connect your phone to your PC and follow the softwares prompts.

As for rooting you can read a little more about how it's done on the site linked to below:

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Denis Hard@Denis Hard, The defective unit is actually a Sony Ericsson W995, would you happen to know if it's a CDMA phone? I have already downloaed the 2 components needed to flash it and I just need to see it the phone will be already detected when I install the softwares, since ever since it became dead it won't turn on, charge or get detected by the pc.

I am actually afraid of touching my Android so I don't mind being outdated with my OS, lol! I will try that when I am already equipped with better knowledge, since I might brick it, lol.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Maybe the technicians were right. The phone could be beyond repair or it would be too costly to repair . . .
    Your phone unfortunately isn't a CDMA phone so flashing software won't be of much use to you.

But since you don't mind doing whatever it takes to resurrect the phone before you trash it, you could give the software a try and see if it does work.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Denis Hard@Denis Hard, Thanks for the info! Someone is actually keen in buying my defective W995, I am just hesitating to sell it for $14 since it cost me $130 plus $32 on tax charges, since I bought it on Ebay lol. And it only lasted for 8 months. I guess if it's not repairable then I will just sell it. The red light on the back lights up when you charge it eventhough the battery doesn't absorb any power since I have another phone that uses the same battery so I was able to confirm it. So maybe that red light is not a sign of hope for the phone. I guess I will sell it if the phone won't be detected by the pc after I install the flashing softwares.

6. karamara

karamaraMember

Threads:
    I do know how to flash a phone but only Windows Phone. I haven't tried flashing or jailbreaking my Android and iPhone since they're pretty much okay without having to pry the software open, but when it comes to my old Windows Phone 7 it's a different story. That phone begs to be flashed no matter what because of how crappy it is. How I learned it is through the internet. There are a lot of tutorials online, all you need is some patience and courage.