Do You Like Barbeque Sauce?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by hayrake • Feb 19, 2015.

1. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I love pork and other meats cooked on a smoker for hours but used to think I had to drizzle it with barbeque sauce in order for it to be really good. The barbeque sauce, though, seems to be yet another one of those things that I've come to dislike over the years.
    I've gotten to where I much prefer just a little dash of hot sauce, if anything, on the smoked meat when it's done...oh, and a little creamy cole slaw on the side.

2. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    I have moved from my love of Texas style BBQ to North Carolina style BBQ. Texas BBQ comes with thick sweet sauce, much like ketchup but tangier. NC BBQ, on the other hand, no sauce... it is more of a vinegar style flavor.

When I first moved out here and tried it I thought, "What is this? It is definitely NOT bar-b-que." But now I love it, and also prefer. Don't get me wrong, I still slather a dry chicken breast in BBQ sauce if the occasion calls for it, but slow cooked pork is typically eaten sans sauce.

3. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I also used to love barbecue sauce so much more but as time went on and having ate so much of it I eventually grew more and more tired, and also my taste is is probably also evolving a bit so now I prefer simpler flavors. Although from time to time or in specific dishes, I still find it okay. I just don't put it in almost everything anymore.

4. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    Have you tried making your own BBQ sauce? It might just be the commercial sauces putting you off to barbeque sauce & not the sauce itself. Also, you can tweak the recipe according to your tastes. Sounds like you'd like a smokier & spicier sauce.

5. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do like barbecue sauce but since it's more economical to whip up your own mix than buy a branded sauce bottle from the grocery store, my family and I opt for the former. The ingredients we use are usually so simple: soy sauce, ketchup, vegetable oil and a few pinches of sugar.

6. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I love Hunt's Barbecue sauce. In my opinion there has to be honey and a hint of hickory smoke for there to be really great flavor! I'm not a fan of spicy barbecue sauces or overly sweet sauces in general.

7. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like barbeque sauce on my garden and veggie burgers or with my veggie sausages. I try not to use too many sauces because of the sugar levels, but it's great to add flavor as some vegetarian foods lack it and I don't like spices. Of course I like ketchup, but barbeque sauce is a nice change and with some mayonnaise is great.

8. happyshopper

happyshopperActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I do like barbeque sauce and I have it once in a while on chicken or on a burger but it depends what I feel like having at the moment. Sometimes I'll go out to eat to enjoy a delicious barbeque and I also eat it at home too. I love going to restaurants though which I do now quite a bit.

9. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love barbecue sauce but don't get to eat it all that often as the weather here means barbecues are few and far between! I tend to like all the variants on the recipe, especially the ones involving Jack Daniel's!

10. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    It ain't BBQ without a or some good BBQ sauce! My usual barbecue sauce I prefer to use are Sweet Baby Ray's and A1 steak sauce, and it's very dependent on what meat am I cooking. Plain and smoky flavors are good to eat overall, but sometimes I do like some honey mustard BBQ sauce or add a chili sauce of sorts like Tabasco. Also, steak and pork chops are my most liked meats to use BBQ sauce because it adds richness in flavor and texture.

11. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    There are certain types of barbecue sauces that I find too flavorful and I don't like those because they overpower the meat itself. I'd like to have a bit of sauce only, in a way that it only adds a bit of a flavor. If my food is too flavorful, it feels like I get full so easily, so overall, I don't end up enjoying my meal. Sauces with just the right balance is perfect for me.

12. goldenmaine

goldenmaineActive Member

Threads:
    I love barbecue sauce, especially the home-made ones made by my mother. It is very savory and adds a lot of flavor to any meat, especially pork and chicken. For chicken, I like the barbecue sauce that has stuck to the skin, and give a pack full of flavor when eating the chicken. For pork, I like a very saucy barbecue sauce that engulfs all of the pork and it is just so juicy to eat especially with the fat, oil and sauce mixed up.