Do You Like Black Cats?

Discussion in Pets started by Spectre456 • Sep 7, 2014.

1. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    I know this is a weird question, but I recently found out that black cats are the ones with the lowest adoption rates. I personally love black cats, they look amazing, I plan to get one sometime in the future, but for now it's enough with the Calico I have.

Do you guys like black cats? Would you adopt one if you saw it at a shelter?

2. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    We owned two black cats before and they are both adopted. I guess the only bad luck recepient of their notorious stigma are themselves. Both of them died from being ran over by a vehicle in separate occassions. We live in the main road of our village and I see both of them having the thrill of their lives by crossing in front of cars when it is nearing them, never when its still far away. Observing this, my husband already knew that someday it will be their death.

#2Sep 8, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
  3. sthrngypsy

sthrngypsyActive Member

Threads:
    I love black cats. They look like mini panthers and often have the best personalities. Some people think they are bad luck and some people want something more unusual. Adoptions go something like this: anything considered exotic/unusual (Persian, Bengal, Siamese, etc), white with blue or green eyes, orange tabby, brown/gray tabby, calico/tortie, black/white, and finally black. There seems to always be at least one black kitten in each litter too...

4. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    Absolutely! It's weird when people say that black cats carry curses or are unlucky. All cats are lovable! I do not own a pure black cat, but I have a tuxedo one. My boyfriend owns a black cat, and he is just the most adorable cat ever. :)

5. Execsapphire

ExecsapphireNew Member

Threads:
    I like the way black cats look. We have a lot of stray cats where I live. I am allergic or I would have taken one of the black kittens to be my pet. I have not been around many cats, but the stray black cats here are all black with green eyes. They look pretty cool. I think they are nicer looking than the majority or cats. I hope they are not bad luck because we have so many around here.

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I only ever had a black cat and I do think they are lucky. It is sad they are not adopted, but I would adopt them and encourage others to. In fact if I see a black cat I hope it walks in front of me or I try to.

7. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most people don't like black cats because they are associated with evil. Others believe they bring bad luck to the owner and so on. But beneath the fur a cat's just a cat. If I was a cart-lover much as I would prefer to get myself a white kitten, if the only one available is black I'd take it. But who can blame anyone for hating black cats?

That's why some people have come out to fight for black cats. Here's one:
    They may lure evil in order to fight it!

8. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have two black beauties that we rescued just before Christmas last year. One that looks like a little panther and the other looks like the opposite of those toilet paper commercial kitties lol.. a cute little black fluffball; they're just gorgeous. I've heard black animals are the least adopted as well. I don't understand it myself.. other than having one heck of a time trying to get a good picture of them, they're just as awesome as the rest ;)

9. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I do not mind cats of any color as long as they are not vicious and grumpy all the time. However, I have heard quite a lot of superstitions when it comes to cats that I do not believe in. There are no base for all the superstitious beliefs and I do not understand why they have originated. I would never mind having a black cat in my home, but I am sure they can scare the death out of any person when they walk around in the dark.

10. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I recently just saw the statistics for this too, and I wasn't really that surprised since black cats have a negative connotation of supposedly being bad luck. I personally don't believe in it though and would definitely adopt one if it were cute enough. I especially like the ones with white paws because I find the contrast very appealing. Some breeds of black cats don't appeal to me much, but I'm not really too picky.

11. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, not really. My folks here are very superstitious. They have always thought that black cats brought bad luck. And that's how I view them too. I know it sounds silly but it's our belief. However, I did see a some fluffy and furry and fat black cats in YouTube and I find them very cute and cuddly. Would I want such a cat that I have seen in YouTube? Well, maybe... But if there are other options for the color of the cat, why go for black? :D

12. TuRon Davis

TuRon DavisActive Member

Threads:
    We once had a cat named Grandpa and he was all black with perfect white boots . however, I really don't care for cats as much as I used to. Me and my family took in cats all the time when we were young but me, not now. I don't believe in black cats being bad luck either. They are just as adorable as any other color.

13. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah I love cats. I have an orange tabby on by my side all the time. But I don't like cats as much as I like my dogs and as for the color, well I love black cats because they look really cool.

14. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am fond of all cats, that includes black ones. I have never been superstitious in my life, but there are plenty of people around me who view an encounter with a black cat on a Friday the 13th especially unfavourable. Personally, I think it is rather silly, and it only complicates life, which is already challenging enough as it is.

15. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    I don't really like cats because well, I don't like them. But they're really cute. As for me, I don't mind black cats, I'm not that superstitious and besides black cats look really sophisticated and well charming in their own way.

16. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    I love them! And their fur is less noticeable if it ever gets on my clothes. I do know about the low adoption rates and sadly most shelters in the area consider black cats to be not adoptable and not worth spending money keeping them. So they are generally put down. I think people when looking for a cat should really focus in finding the right personality and have an open mind when it comes to appearances. I have 2 black cats, 2 color pointed (like siamese) and 1 white with grey patches and the colors have nothing to do with the personalities. One of the black ones is sweet, quiet, a little shy, loves to be petted and is pretty much a lap cat, the other is active, playful, more dominant, a good hunter, more independent, and loves to eat.

17. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    It seems that most people that have replied either like them or wouldn't mind having one. I think not adopting them because of superstitions is very sad, I respect the beliefs of everyone, but it's still sad that a possibly great pet gets left behind and eventually put down because of it.

Wow, that is definitely living up to the superstitions surrounding them. Of course, your cats were probably daredevils and it had nothing to do with superstitions. I hope you enjoyed their company while you had them.

18. dizzykitsune

dizzykitsuneActive Member

Threads:
    I adore cats of all colors and shapes. I don't dislike black cats, but I do have a preference for certain breeds of cats. Bengals are one of my favorites. I think cats that have patterns on their fur are absolutely adorable. With that said, I've own one black cat out of the five I've owned at different times throughout my life. Her name was Midnight and she was absolutely adorable and very tiny. I didn't think of her any less than I did any of my other cats.

19. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    Bengals are hybrid cats, crossed between a domestic cat and an Asian Leopard cat. I don't support those for a number of reasons. One is that breeding them promotes the trade of the exotic cats and the Leopard cat is an endangered species. The other is that a lot of the cats produced end up not being good pets and are put down. Sometimes the personality is just too wild and uncontrollable.

20. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a black cat, and I don't mind owning one, since I'm not superstitious at all, although my cat isn't really black, it's more of a black/grayish color. His fur has some whitish parts on his stomach area. I noticed that he has black paws and a black nose and green eyes, while other cats have pink paws, so I was a bit surprised that some black cats have white paws. Aren't they supposed to be pink?