Do You Like Carpet?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by hayrake • Feb 19, 2015.

1. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I grew up thinking carpet was so much nicer and more comfy than hardwood or vinyl floors, but now I wonder why. Well, actually, I know why. My mother was very cold natured and her feet would freeze in rooms without carpeting.
    Anyway, over the years I have come to the conclusion that I do not like carpeting at all. It wears out too fast and collects too much dirt and dust to suit me. My husband and I plan on replacing all of the carpet in our house with something else. It will take awhile, though, as we do the work ourselves.

2. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I really dislike carpets. Actually when I rented my current apartment it had a carpet. I learned to tolerate it up until I got a dog - then I asked the landlord if we could switch it to hardwood floors. He agreed to pay for it in full because where we live it is really warm and humid and carpets devalues apartments. So now I have a hardwood flooring and I live it so much better!

3. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also grew up on carpet lol. All of the households in my family, when I was a child, were kitted out with carpet. As the years have gone on, and interior fashion has evolved, people have been installing laminate flooring more and more, and yes it is cold. But it is easier to clean, more hygienic - in my opinion - and, aad just nicer to look at.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like carpet, but it depends on you home if you can have floors as laminate or hardwood I would have those and use rugs instead. I had to have carpet in an apartment because of neighbors, so I had no choice, but it gets costly replacing it all the time. Some rooms like a bedroom should have carpet, but living areas are best without due to wear and tear and heavy traffic.

5. DreekLass

Threads:
    I think that it also depends on which room you have the laminate and or carpet in?? Like, having hardwood floor in the kitchen, the hardwood floor can get pretty tattered pretty quickly. And it is hard to clean thoroughly, due to the heavy fixtures such as cookers and such.

But hardwood floor works best in kitchen settings. Then there are the floor that you can't get water on, otherwise it will rise up?? Carpet would be best in those scenarios, for a living area or a dining room.

6. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh gawd.. I will never do carpert again. It gives me the heebie jeebies. Nothing cleans those suckers thoroughly enough for me. All the dead skin and mites and never mind if you spill something, no matter how well you think you clean it up. It's just a bacteria party in there. Even with the fancy machines that make you think you're doing a great job lol. I think it's one of the most unhealthy things you can do to your home, but that's just my opinion. I'm easily grossed out by these things lol.

@DreekLass@DreekLass .. think floor sponge. Ugh *shivers*

7. Flowerpower

FlowerpowerMember

Threads:
    Well generally I do like carpets, they are nice and soft to walk on and can complement a room but I haven't bought one for my house.
    I generally dislike doing chores and it'll be just one more thing to clean. If I ever changed my mind though I'd buy a dark colored one so I wouldn't have to clean it all the time or live with a stain that cannot be removed.

8. Sunshine

SunshineActive Member

Threads:
    I do like carpets because they are more cozy and welcoming, but I agree they gather dust and dirt much faster and a hard wood floor is cleaner. I grew up with hardwood floors though so I do feel they are cold and unwelcoming. I kind of like a mix of both floors in a house - carpets in the bedrooms and hardwood in the main living areas. That way you still get the coziness but they are not in high traffic areas so don't get too dirty.

9. tipoywizard

tipoywizardActive Member

Threads:
    I like carpet it is a great addition and decoration to the house, however I have a downside from using it because it attract dirt and very difficult to clean. I dont like doing vacuum cleaning. LOL.

10. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Carpets look nice and they feel comfortable to my bare feet. My dream carpets are not the ones you often see in offices. What I'd like to own someday are Persian carpets - those thick heavy rugs with ornate designs. No one's really obliged to get a carpet. Some people find them useless but they get them anyway for aesthetic purposes. If you want to own one, then you must be committed to it. Carpets are a costly investment.

11. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    Carpet is great when you're in a climate that gets really cold in the winter, and you like walking around barefoot (like I do). But for beauty I'm a bigger fan of hardwood floors, and even more so in the summer months.

12. CyberGal

CyberGalMember

Threads:
    I actually like hardwood floors better. I think they're cleaner. However, if I did have hardwood throughout my entire home, I'd probably put some rugs down since it gets really cold here in the winter and both my daughter and I hate wearing socks LOL

13. DreekLass

Threads:
    Hahaha!!!!! Carpet is a bacteria party, and I hate when over the years all of the things that have been spilled the carpet begin to discolor and mat together, even though whatever was spilled was cleaned up 'pretty well' when the accident first happened.

Now why'd you have to go and put that imagery in my head? *sighs* LOL!!

14. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    OooOoOoO.. carpet spoooonnngggeeee! Screw Freddie and Jason and Jigsaw (oh my). Even when I had mine cleaned.. all I could think of was all that sitting water. You can't expect something to not throw a party while it dries on the floor.. the water seeps into whatever is under it and the carpet wicks.. things come back up later; it's never really completely gone. And to do this over and over and over again and the years and years of... SPONGE! AAAAAAHHHHHHH... I'm going to write this movie. It's happening.

15. goldenmaine

goldenmaineActive Member

Threads:
    I like carpets because they feel so comforting and relaxing to the feet when I get home from work. Also while I am relaxing with my feet on the carpet or I am on the carpet on the floor chilling, I find the cloth and fur very comforting. What I don’t like is that it is difficult to clean it, especially when it is spilled on by some fluid like drinks. My allergic reactions are also triggered after some time as the carpet collects more and more dust particles that penetrate my nose. We now have small sized ones for our feet only, unlike our previous ones which were large sized. They are now easier to clean and do not collect dust that much.

16. DreekLass

Threads:
    I am laughing my freaking ass off!!! Hahahahaha!!!! :D Good luck finding a movie director, hun lol!!! On second thoughts, after reading your previous post, it seems like you have it all figured out in your head already, hahaha!!! Freddie and Jason hasn't got shit on germsy carpet infested waters lmao!!

17. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Exactly! Just look at antibacterial product sales. THAT's my audience. People are scared Dreek.. they're very very scared. And I just know there are more showerhairophobes and wetsockophobes out there that are just waiting for this kind of scary. They've done the axe wielding maniac and the burn victim from hell. They want real life.. they want to sleep with the lights on for once because someone tapped into their true inner demons.

CARPET SPONGE!! dun dun dunnnnnnnnnnnnnn...

18. DreekLass

Threads:
    There are definitely more people like us out there. When I first went to secondary school, the first girl that I bonded with, I bonded with over our hatred for these things lol. We are no longer close friends, but I'm sure I could get her to buy a ticket to see your movie hahaha!! No, but I'm completely serious when I say that germs are 100% scarier than any gore horror flick!!!

19. owesem75

owesem75Active Member

Threads:
    I like my bedroom to be carpeted so I can walk barefooted while inside. Hard wood for other areas of the house. Another alternative though is the vinyl or tiles.

20. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    I use to live on our ancestral house which is more than a hundred years old, I live there alone when I was still on college so when I go home, I just lay down on the carpet and eventually sleep. I like carpets even when it collects dusts. this is also the reason why I kept a vacuum on the living room. I also wash them from time to time.