Do you like movies that are out nowadays?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by Mayvin • Oct 5, 2014.

1. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I don't really go to the movies anymore mostly because most of the movies out in the theater are full of such crap. Every once and a while they'll have a good movie but lately it seems far and few in between and the TV movies you can watch at home seem to have a bit more substance. But not by much to tell you the truth.

2. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Some of them are still good, and some that I haven't seen still look good. The thing is, I do think that the quality of movies have been going down recently. They're not as memorable or inspiring. I don't find myself quoting recent movies as much. I think that the last time that there were really memorable movies was, at the latest, maybe 2006-2010. 2011 on hasn't really been awe-inspiring.

3. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Lately the movies on are not very interesting. Often I find myself making plans with friends to go to the movies and we end up cancelling because nothing good is on! However, sometimes I do enjoy the movie I go to watch. That was the case of Guardians of the Galaxy not long ago, Divergent at the beginning of the year and also The Book Thief, which was na amazing movie in my opinion. Every now and then a good movie comes out, but lately there has been less than usual.

4. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, they are entertaining, but not really those kinds you would treasure or worth keeping in your hard drive. They are just good enough to pass time with. I think excellent movies that are able to touch lives only come once in a a while, so it's really forgiven that there far more movies that are typical. Even before it's happening I guess.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most movies made by the major studios/ production companies aren't that good. They're nothing more than a CGI-fest. Because they concentrate more on graphics rather creating intriguing stories, audiences don't find those movies to be all that interesting.

If you want good movies then I'd suggest watching Indie movies because Indie film-makers have to make great films in order to make enough money to fund their next project(s).

6. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    Some of them are just your usual run for the money. The usual formula is this, take a franchise that we all love and know and just make it into a movie. For example, that Michael Bay abomination Transformers and TMNT. They take what we love and because we love it from childhood we give it a shot and then they cash in on us and they make more and more. I hate Michael Bay and I hope he dies before he can butcher more things that we love, just kidding.

7. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    I'm pretty picky with movies, but sometimes there's a good one that comes out, I mean, I feel like it's very rare, but it's still possible. I've only seen a few movies over the past couple years that were actually enjoyable.

8. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    There's plenty of good movies to watch even now, it's all perspective. A lot of movie now are as much orientated in symbolic messages, allusions, metaphors, and allegories as bygone movies, but the way it is projected and shown is slightly to hugely different. However, if you live nearby drive-in theater(s), watch a movie there instead, because you don't have to deal with stupid morons always barking their mouths off at every scene, like I do occasionally.

9. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Movies tend to be about the names, stunts, action and special effects. There are fewer films that will be remembered as classics, being more commercial rather than artistic. Sagas tend to work to build up a following, Terminator, Expendables, Predator, Iron Man and LOTR. They seem to churn out until they run their course.
    There are still some good movies, but not all releases should be released and should go straight to DVD. Success is measured in box office takings or awards, yet awards don't always help finance the next film as budgets depend on takings rather than silverware. So, they opt for commercial viability over art, with masses of Marvel films, how many X-men movies I have lost count. They don't win awards but make money in DVD sales as well as box office. It's not entertainment, but a storyline stretched to its limits and I would rather watch on old classic than another X-men film.

10. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't liked new movies in a few years now. I am surprised because I did actually find a few I wanted to see but in general it isn't what it used to be. I think they have just run out of ideas which I don't understand because there must be some creative minds to make it so the possibilities are endless.

11. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I still enjoy going to the cinema, even though it seems to get ever more difficult to come across an new film that isn't some rehashed version of an old original movie. Also, many of the concepts that are being presented in current releases have been explored so many times in the past that it has become boring to see another version of the same thing. I simply like the big screen experience, and for that reason I keep going back.

12. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Well it depends on the movie really. Some of them are really still good but for the most part nowadays almost every twerp with a big budget can be a director so the only way I can somehow pick the movies that I wanted to watch is to check on the director and if he's made a lot of great movies then it would be on my list of movies to watch.

13. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Let's see. If you're talking about Hollywood movies, I try to be selective about them. I have a thing for Indie flicks because they have more depth and stimulate your intellect better than most big-budget films. I recently watched the movies showcased at a Korean Festival and most of them were really good. Now, I'm about to watch a handful of European films in this week's European Film Festival, sponsored by the EU. You can expand your choices by pursuing non-Hollywood movies.

14. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well for years, I had stopped going to the movies because the movie prices were and still are overpriced, and the price of the snacks are even more overpriced. Just absolutely ridiculous and daylight robbery, in my opinion. I tend to stay away from most of the movies these days, unless they are horror movies. Everything else seems to suck to be honest.

15. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I like some of them and I admit there seems to be a bit more bland movies out nowadays or at least they are just more noticeable to me. I think it's mostly because old movies were more formulaic and therefore more in the safe zone whereas movies nowadays have the disadvantage of not being able to stick too much to formula due to the fact that the crowds have already seen it all before. Maybe it will transition into something great, and from the few gems I've seen in the past few years, I really am optimistic that it will.

16. DreekLass

Threads:
    I have to agree with you. As I was saying above, nothing really gets my attention apart form horror movies. I think that that is because t get a reaction out of me things have to be extreme. Even now, the horror movies are JUST starting to get me. They stood no chance before, barely even making me blink much less jump. Hollywood needs to step its movie game up, for certain.

17. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have become more picky about movies because they're just not as good as they used to be. The quality has declined. There's nothing remarkable about the plots anymore. The characters are generic. There's nothing really original anymore. Every other movie is just a bad reboot of a classic movie.

18. DreekLass

Threads:
    I agree, unfortunately. There is nothing special about movies these days, except for the odd horror movie.

19. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    There are actually a couple of decent movies I've watched recently in the cinema. I'm talking about THE ROVER and GONE GIRL movies. I honestly stopped going to the movies until these two movies happened. I totally agree that most movies that come out nowadays are terrible. I don't what why's that. But you should try to see these 2 films, it's really interesting and you will not regret it.

20. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm just indifferent now. Some modern day movies are good, some are not. Nowadays, I'm a bit cynical to movies that come out now. None of them really stand out anymore.