Do you like the dystopian genre?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by kate23 • Mar 4, 2014.

1. kate23

kate23Active Member

Threads:
    I've realized that a lot of the books I've been reading lately are dystopian. Ever since I read The Hunger Games I got kind of obsessed with dystopia. I never even realized it was a genre before I read THG!

What dystopian books have you read?

2. emilyrose93

emilyrose93Member

Threads:
    Yes! I absolutely love dystopian books. A few of my favourites are:

- The Handmaids Tale (about a society where womens rights have been taken away and they are only used for "breeding")
    - The Running Man, by Stephen King. (about a society of violent reality shows, where a man signs up to the show and then has to escape assassins for a certain amount of time to win)
    - Children of Men (this one was a movie fairly recently, it's about a world where women stop being able to have children, but then one day one woman gets pregnant and they have to try and rescue her so she can have her baby safely away from people who want to kidnap her)

Gone and Uglies are good series as well, but they are more young adult. Gone is about a town where suddenly all the adults disappear, and basically a dome forms around their town, but they can't see through it. I haven't quite finished it yet, but I'm really curious about the origin of how it all happened. And Uglies is about a world where when people turn 16, they have to have loads of plastic surgery to make them "perfect", and if they don't they aren't accepted by society. It's specifically about a girl who decides she doesn't want to do it and runs away.

Basically, yes, I love the dystopian genre! I have even more recommendations if you ever need them!

3. Guru

GuruMember

Threads:
    I haven't read too many dystopian books but the subject does interest me.

1984 is a classic set in a dystopian environment which I have always loved even before I knew what the word meant. V for Vendetta and The Hunger Games are also good books to read if you're into the genre.

4. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I've read all three Hunger Games book as well and i do love them although my favorite out of all three books is the first one. Anyways, i think that's the only dystopian genre I've read so far. Too bad, because i actually like the genre and it's really interesting. Now that i think of it, i might actually just google some books on this genre see what other gems are there.:p

5. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The dystopian genre has gotten so burned out recently, thanks to the surge of YA novels pouring in. There are plenty of fantastic titles in the genre, but there are so many terrible ones being introduced to readers today. I love the genre. Still, it's going downhill thanks to a focus on quantity rather than quality as tons and tons of authors try to cash in on the genre's increasing popularity in print and film. It's a real shame. The occasional gem does release in book form from time to time, though.

6. Nate5

Nate5Member

Threads:
    Definitely, with maze runner, hunger games, divergent, and a lot of other badly written dystopian fiction, the genre is losing its credibility. 1984, brave new world, definitely addressed the issues and themes relevant at that time. Now, authors are just looking to make money through appealing to teenage fantasies, like being a hero and so on. Now, they also have shoddy movies to go with these books. yay!

7. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm a huge fan of dystopian themes but I love animes and mangas more than I love reading dystopian novels. There are so many dystopian novels that I like. The Divergent series for one and The Maze Runner. I'm not sure whether I want to read the Hunger Games trilogy. I spoiled myself by reading Wiki and the ending didn't sit well with me.