Do you like to receive or give gifts?

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by andrew320 • Jun 6, 2012.

1. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    I do not like the whole idea of gift-giving, but I always prefer to be the giver rather than the receiver. It makes me feel awkward when I get gifts, especially from in-laws. For me, Christmas is the worst and the only time I don't mind gift-giving is on birthdays or even anniversaries, but why should anyone enter the poor house for gifts?

Anyway, question: do you like to receive gifts or give them?

2. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    I like both giving and receiving gifts. I couldn't say that I just like receiving gifts because I think that is not fair. I like giving gits more because I can fill that feeling of fulfillment when I see someone happy because I have given him/her a gift. To me, that smile on his/her face is already enough to pay me for what I have given.

3. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    Me too. I really love, love, love giving gifts...and I super love receiving them too. However, we do have a rule that their is no giving expensive gifts on holidays in order to keep things simple, non competitive and to release pressure. So, it is mainly homemade truffles, art, confectionery etc. A gift of love, rather than with a big price tag really simplifies things and keeps us focused on each other.

I just love the art of giving, whenever you can, even if it is just getting your buddy their favorite on a Monday because you know they are not fond of Mondays and vice versa.

4. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I like giving gifts, too, but I'm always wary of being stretched too thin. I'm not usually a huge fan of receiving them, but sometimes I need things that I can't afford, and if somebody is gracious enough to give it to me, then I need to be thankful for that.

5. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    I like both too, but prefer giving them. That smile on the people you give the present to is just priceless! I love receiving gifts as long as they really mean something :)

6. Jennifer

JenniferActive Member

Threads:
    I love both. I prefer both giving and receiving when it is done spontaneously. It's so much nicer to give or, for that matter, receive a present when it is least expected. Then it feels as if it comes from the heart and not because it is a certain occasion such as christmas, birthdays etc, where one expects to receive a present or it places a burden on one to go out and buy a present for someone else.

7. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    "It's better to give than to receive." I am a better giver. I like to try to come up with creative gifts based on the individual or experiences with them. If I am really low on money, I get super creative and some of the best gifs I have given didn't cost much at all. It is a good thing I have some art skills!

8. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    I don't expect gifts so I don't think about whether I like to receive them or not. What I do like is giving.

It's a lot of fun planning ahead for, say, someone's birthday. I get a lot of pleasure from shopping for just the right thing for that person. In fact, it's even more fun than shopping for myself. Main reason being that when I shop for myself, I am the only one who is having fun. When I shop for someone else, the person receiving the present is happy and I am happy to see his happiness, too.

9. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I also like to give, and enjoy the process of choosing a gift that is just right for a particular person. I love receiving thoughtful gifts as well. It was a milestone birthday yesterday, and I received lots of flowers and jewellery. Everything was perfect, and just the sort of stuff I'd have chosen for myself, which tells me my family really thought about what they were buying. For me, though, the best part of the gift giving and receiving process is that it means you spend a happy time with people who are important to you.

10. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I like to give gifts as well, but it's also nice to receive. I rarely get gifts, but when I do I don't know how to act. I feel a little uncomfortable, but I'm trying to change my way of thinking. I know there's some people who only like to receive, and I think that's wrong. It's better to do both, but I just prefer to give.

11. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    I perfer to give a gift rather than receive because I don't really know what I want myself. But if someone wants to give me a gift, then I would perfer a gift card or money so I can buy what I want. A lot of people just buy junk and I don't like that because we already have enough junk in our houses or closets. So gift card please, then I can buy what I need.

12. dreyz

dreyzMember

Threads:
    To be very honest, of course receiving is much better than giving. Sounding a bit selfish here, but it's human nature. That said, I do feel happy giving out presents as well, especially when I know I'm getting something that someone is yearning for a long time. Seeing the smile on their faces makes me happy too.

13. gina121

gina121Active Member

Threads:
    I'm open to receiving and giving gifts, only if the occasion calls for it. For some reason, I find it odd when I receive a gift out of turn or occasion, when I least expect it. I suppose not expecting it makes it difficult for me to be at the receiving end, although it might be a pleasant surprise for others.:)

14. donaldplozha

donaldplozhaMember

Threads:
    I like to receive gifts from a wide range of people, but I like to give gifts only to a limited number of people: my girlfriend and my family or/and very close relatives :)

15. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    Of course I also wanted to receive gifts. Although I don't always give gifts to anyone. The only people I give gifts are my brothers and sisters. My girls don't actually receive gifts from me from time to time. She only get if its her birthday or aniversaries. I don't consider flower as a gift too.

16. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    If someone is always looking to receive a gift from someone, then you have to look at it this way. Why give someone a gift that will never give you one at all. I feel that is very tacky and they don't deserve a gift at all. I love to give gifts but sometimes it would be nice to get a gift, that way you know that person is thinking of you and it makes you feel good as well.

17. dhintaka

dhintakaMember

Threads:
    Of course, I love receiving gifts. Who doesn't? When people gift things, whatever it can be, it shows their love & affection. It shows that they want to be in touch with you. It doesn't matter how big or small is the gift , what matters is their concern & love. I love to gift people and also enjoy receiving them.

18. Terri

TerriMember

Threads:
    I love to receive and give gifts. It's like the ultimate thing in the world to me. A surprise, especially a good surprise, is something I feel should always be looked forward to. The thing I feel is so great about a surprise is that person feels special in knowing others thought about him or her and she didn't have to initiate it or encourage any of the talk. That's something that would make a lot of people feel good... unless someone is paranoid and the fact that anyone planned or discussed something about them behind their back pisses them off.... other than that, give gifts and kindheartedly accept them, because even when you know you're getting a gift, what's inside the wrapping is often a surprise. :)

19. savergrl

savergrlMember

Threads:
    I enjoy gits as long as its something useful or that I actually want. Most times people give just for the sake of giving with little thought. Its obvious. I enjoy giving but its the shopping and selecting I enjoy.

20. melapie

melapieActive Member

Threads:
    I love both. I love giving gifts especially the part where you have to think of the most appropriate gift for the person. I also love it when I receive gifts that are well-thought off. Shows how a person really knows me.