Do you like to shop alone or with friends?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Miaka_M • Jun 9, 2014.

1. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    So, do you like to shop alone or with someone else? I don't really mind for either as long as I don't spend much. I like shopping with friends because I can get their advice but then I like shopping alone because I just rip through the mall with no distractions haha. What is your preference?

2. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer to shop alone or with my Mom and sisters. I enjoy the company of friends when shopping but find they tend to tire out and wanna call it a day long before I want to. They also don't share my sense of adventure when it comes to checking out new small boutiques or really any place they have never been before. When I'm alone I don't feel rushed and can go anywhere I want to. I can shop with my Mom and sisters because we are all like this.

3. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like to shop with my daughter because she makes even mundane trips like buying groceries more fun. If I don't have her to keep me company, it feels like something is missing. The only time I don't shop with my daughter is when I'm buying a surprise for her.

4. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    I actually prefer shopping alone then with friends. A lot of my friends are bad at giving advice when buying clothing. They either tell me that I should buy nothing, or they say "sure why not" to everything I try on. Ugh. I prefer shopping alone because I'm also more frugal, and will get things that I will actually wear. It's also faster and if something looks good awful on me, I don't have to worry about being embarrassed. Also, most of my friends are tiny and shop in completely different sections then me. (I'm a womans 20, and almost all of my friends are under a misses 10.) So it's super annoying and slightly embarrassing to try and find the tiny woman's section in tucked away in some back corner and try to find something that will both fit and not make me look like a old lady, when my friends have this giant section and selection to chose from.

5. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I hate shopping with friends and family if I'm planning to buy something. I like to take my time and try stuff on. I am very particular about the way clothes fit. I don't like to buy the first thing that I see. I like to look around to see if there is something better. I will often go to several stores then come back to the first store to buy an item. This drives my friends crazy so I just shop alone.

6. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    I only like shopping with my husband and my daughter because they will not try to make me spend more. They also prefer to follow my time so I get to stop as soon as I want. I tried shopping with my younger sister and my mum in the past and I almost cried waiting for them in the end.

I really can't stand a slow shopper and those who couldn't decide what to buy even after a few hours of looking around. I get tired and bored so easily when it comes to shopping.

7. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer to shop alone, especially when I'm buying quite a few pieces. I really take my time to select and I don't like it when other people give their opinion on what they think suits me. I'm very picky when it comes to my style and overall, comfort is more important for me. I would like to fit on clothes and see how well they feel on my body before I make a decision to buy.

Also, I don't like it when I feel pressured to buy something I really don't like because of friends around me. I prefer having some privacy when I shop.

8. KymARenner

KymARennerNew Member

Threads:
    I agree with forextraspecialstuff on this,I prefer shopping with my Mom and maybe some sisters...............I tend to avoid shopping with friends, we just don't match in opinions.

9. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I usually shop either alone or with family, which usually means my mom or female cousins. I rarely shop with friends just because I feel too self-conscious about my weight. Most of my friends are pretty thin, while I'm still a bit overweight, so it makes me uncomfortable to go for Large clothes when they pick Small and sometimes they still are loose. I mostly prefer to shop by myself because I take my time and go on my own time, or with mom because she gives great advise.

10. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When you are shopping with friends, you may end up spending a little more than you planned to. Of course it's a lot better to shop with friends or family but at what cost?

IMO, it's much better to shop with someone if you've done the budgeting together and that person knows exactly what you're going to buy. That way, shopping can be fun and kind to your wallet too.

Personally, I prefer shopping alone.

11. jewel777

jewel777Active Member

Threads:
    I like shopping alone. Because it takes me time to pick out stuff that looks nice on me. I have guy friend who I go shopping with sometimes that has no clue as to what would look nice on me. He's like, "what about this, what about that?" And his help ends up being a hindrance. And my women friends want me to spend more money I can comfortably afford, or they sidetrack me, looking at other things. When I shop alone, I can focus and usually can find a few pieces that I like that I can afford as well.

12. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't like shopping with friends. When I shop, I go with my sister and only with her that I go out to shop. Because I am pretty shy, I don't like any other of my relatives or friends to know a part of my vanity. It's enough that my sister alone sees it. Also shopping with friends takes more time and more money, because with them I have a weaker control of spending. They would just push you to buy more and more. And if you are out with them, surely it's not just shopping that you would not only be going shopping, you would do a lot more things than just that.

13. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    Definitely alone. i have been shopping with friends and family members many times and they either want to go and look in EVERY shop that they can find or they want to go in one and then run home. I am sort of in the middle, I don't look in every shop available, but I like to check out a few shops at my own pace. Last time I went with someone was last weekend with my girlfriend and it ended in a huge row because she wanted to spend longer, so I just went to the pub, she came out of the mall SIX HOURS later!!

14. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I like both but it depends on my mood. If I'm feeling friendly and playful or if I'm in the mood for browsing, I'd call up my friends and ask them to accompany me, but if I am focused on finding the items I want, then I'd most likely just go by myself so I could concentrate a lot more and maybe save myself some time and money by not needlessly hanging around coffee shops or restaurants in between shopping sprints.

15. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am definitely a solitary shopper, mainly because I don't like shopping in the first place. I prefer to have a concrete idea in my head of what I need and then think about the easiest way of how to get it. I like to spend as little time as possible in shopping malls or supermarkets. Quickly in and quickly out. If some friend happens to accompany me, I often get irritated about them hanging around the aisles for a long time, unable to make a decision. That's when I tell them politely that I will wait for them outside. :)

16. Annabell

AnnabellActive Member

Threads:
    I'm alright with both to be honest. Depends on how I'm feeling really. Sometimes I like shopping alone so I can just get my stuff quick, while listening to some music. In and out as quick as possible. But when I want a proper shopping trip, it's good to go with friends as then you're there to have a bit of fun more than the shopping itself.

17. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    I've gone through stages where I shop with 1-2 friends but I prefer being alone. One reason is that I wear larger sizes. Another is that I have a style that makes me comfortable and outside feedback ruins the experience.

18. Neperon

NeperonActive Member

Threads:
    I guess shopping online is more decent i mean in terms of getting stuff that you actually need and what we get to understand is the way of finding things according to our needs.So yeah when friends are with you the attention gets diverted.

19. richc3

richc3Active Member

Threads:
    When it comes to grocery/home improvement shopping and the like, my wife and I like to go together. We are big on trying new foods and recipes, and like to find out each other's opinions on home items/interior decoration, even if we can't afford it yet. It can be a good way to sneak in extra bonding as you learn more about one another's tastes. We have fun pointing out things we'd like to see in our home one day, and it gives us an idea of what to keep a look out for when we go to the thrift store. You can go to Ikea and be inspired by room design, then over time accumulate these items more cheaply secondhand.

With clothing shopping, I'm always open to taking my wife and probably have a lot more patience than most men do with it, but even then, she can spend 3 hours looking at Salvation Army racks considering each and every item. She likes when I find items for her that she might have otherwise missed, but sometimes it's good to drop her off for a few hours and go browse other stores. Guaranteed she'll still be looking when I come back.

20. soulite

souliteNew Member

Threads:
    I prefer to shop with friends, unless I'm shopping online. It's nice to have a second opinion before you buy something. Sometimes I think something looks good in the store, but when I take it home I hate it. Having friends to help you decide if you can pull off a clothing item is always nice. I notice that sometimes I even send links to my friends when shopping online, and ask them if I can rock it or not.