Do you make a shopping list when you do groceries?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by ssamcd • Jul 30, 2012.

1. ssamcd

ssamcdMember

Threads:
    Just wondering how many of you make a shopping list when do your groceries. I use to never make a list. When my husband was not working and we were counting pennies I started to only buy what I needed for the week. I would only buy the essentials. Boy did I save money. I could not believe how I cut my grocery bill. Just wondering do you use a grocery list every week?

2. Jennifer

JenniferActive Member

Threads:
    I actually do make a list but I always seem to forget it at home when I go shopping. The funny thing is, that if I do forget it, when I get home with the groceries I have invariably bought all the items that I wrote down (and more). Having a grocery list hasn't really saved me much money, probably because I don't really stick to it.

3. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    Yes, I do make a grocery list for a number of reasons. I just jot down a list on my mobile phone and stick to it. It really cuts down on me buying frivolous stuff because I like the look of it, for example. It also speeds up the process. It keeps me focused and I can place my attention on what I need to get and get me out of the stores in one piece and happy as my intentions have been fulfilled. I also can remain strong in the face of all the 'temptations' there.

All this from the humble grocery list! -> ha-ha.

4. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't the habit of making a list when I go shopping. In my family, not have that habit. I don´t know if it's a matter of memory, or something more practical, but it was never necessary. Anyway, I think it´s important to know what we need to buy. Many times, be in a hurry, I forgot to buy something important and lost the double of time. There are days when a list is necessary, but at other times the purchases can be made more relaxed. Today, the big stores have everything in sight. Eye contact is a good memory aid. ;)

5. sandooch

sandoochActive Member

Threads:
    I joined a site called The Grocery Game where they give you a list of the sales going on at your store of choice and combine them with the coupons you've collected for a few months from the Sunday Times. It does save a lot of money. I print out this list and jot down a few other items I need that are not on sale on the top of this list. But often times I see things in the store that I either forgot to put on my list or that I really, really want to try. But I am a big-time list maker! ;)

6. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    If I don't make a list, I will forget something. And it will never be something inessential, either. It will be eggs or milk or something.

7. Mrs. Rogers

Mrs. RogersActive Member

Threads:
    I'm anal about my grocery shopping and I only go once a month to Sam's Club. I buy in bulk and save considerably by doing this. I have a list that I use every month when I go and I always get the same stuff. We are a family of five and I never spend over $500 per month, even when I need extra stuff.

8. KNH

KNHActive Member

Threads:
    I always do make a grocery list. I am pretty impatient so it is always nice to go into the store knowing what I need, plus I don't stray and look at things I don't need :)

9. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I don't make a list I just roam through the isles and pick up what I need. Sometimes I forget something, but most of the time I get everything I wanted. I never could see myself sitting down and writing a list. The idea feels so foreign to me I just buy groceries off instinct.

10. BarelyHangingOn

BarelyHangingOnActive Member

Threads:
    We have a list that sits on the microwave. If it's not on the list that it's not bought. Those are the rules. It saves us from buying lots of junk food and other impulse buys that we don't need.

11. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    I don't buy that much so I don't need a shopping list. My shopping is done only once a week and I will buy various items depending on the latest offers. The prices of my staples have been quite stable for some time, though.

12. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    I have to make my list. I don't know what happens from the time I leave my house to the time I enter the store, I seem to go brain dead and draw a complete blank. I don't always stick specifically to the list, I always find other things I need as well.

13. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I only make a shopping list if we're entertaining or going away in our motorhome and I need to remember things I don't buy on a regular basis. I tend to just look around for the special offers in store and base the week's menus around that. I'm pretty good about not buying things I don't really need - unless my husband comes with me. He's likely to chuck in a load of unnecessary stuff without even looking at the price, so I try to time my shopping expeditions for when he's busy with other things, otherwise it's an expensive trip.

14. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    My dad is currently the one who does the groceries, and he has terrible memory. Even if we write down what we need, he forgets to buy it most of the times. So yup, we do make a shopping list the day before he goes to the supermarket.

15. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    No but only because I tend to buy the same core items to make the dishes I want throughout the week. I'm only cooking for myself though, so that makes it easier. I basically have my shopping list in my head.

16. melapie

melapieActive Member

Threads:
    I've always used a shopping list because I'm forgetful. Even with the essentials, I can sometimes forget to buy this and that (I do my grocery shopping bi-weekly). A shopping list also helps me to budget our income. I only buy what's on list; and if I happen to come accross something that I want, if it's not on the list, it's not going to make its way on my cart. Everyone I know who started doing this swears on how they were able to cut up on grocery expenses.

17. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    I do make a list when I know that I'm in a tight budget. But I'm also guilty of not following that list and often (if not always) go beyond the stuff on my list! But it definitely helps me remember the essentials. :)

18. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I make a list of what I want and I assign the item to the store that I want to buy it from since I shop at more than one store in a trip. Not only that, some things I will only buy at one particular store because it is cheaper there. So, yes, I break all of it down on my lists. I have them on ColorNotes widgets on my phone.

19. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    Most of the time I make a shopping list. However, if I know I'm going to buy the same things I did a week prior, which is usually the case, I won't, but it doesn't affect about the grocery bill is. For anyone who thinks they overspend, a grocery list is an important thing to bring with you.

20. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always make a shopping list because when I don't ,I forget something important and realize I forgot to buy milk or bread. I feel foolish when I get home with a jar of kimchi or a bottle of sriracha but not something essential like milk. A list keeps my random , non-linear mind on track.