Do you make bone broth?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by JosieP • Jan 1, 2014.

1. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This time of year I find myself making a lot of broth. Chicken and Turkey are my absolute faves and you can do so much with them. I'll probably be doing it more often throughout the year now though, it's just so good for you and the health benefits are exceptional. Look it up if you're interested.

Does anyone here make their own broth? If so, do you just make soups or do you get creative with it? Do you drink it for health as many do? Apparently a cup of broth a day keeps the doctor away lol. That may not be so if you're generally a not so great eater, but it can't be denied it's a great addition to the menu and will now be a staple in my house since I've found a fantastic source for carcasses (I apologize to the vegans and vegetarians, that sounds awful doesn't it?)

2. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Bone broths and organ meats supposedly have great medicinal qualities and are good for your health in general. I make my own stocks from time to time, but I usually start with raw chicken when I am making chicken stocks - not just the bones from leftovers. Actually I don't like to use the bones from leftovers because they often have flavors and seasonings (such as bbq sauce) that I don't want leeching into my stock. I haven't attempted a beef broth yet, but I will some day soon.

3. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I do this too, I think most people do and if not, they really should. It's important to make the most out of the animal because first off it pays respect for them giving their life to serve as our food, and second, that's just a lot more practical. Broth is essential to a lot of great recipes and even if not used for that purpose, it's great for soups and ramen which I absolutely love, so I definitely have an appreciation for broth. :)

4. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Good point. I actually don't know many people who do use the whole animal, but you're right.. it's much more respectful if you really feel the need to eat it in the first place. Most of the people I know, buy ready made soups or stocks. They throw away everything, when the best, most beneficial parts of the animal are going to the garbage heap with it. I haven't made as much as I like over the years, just because of the way the commercial animals are raised.. but straight from the farm, I'm more than happy to use up the entire,healthy animal :)

Ugh.. I don't usually talk about it, it's starting to make me want to give up meat lol.

5. normanallison

normanallisonNew Member

Threads:
    I like all kinds of broth, especially i like chicken with garlic flavor. I would have broth any time any day.

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My dad makes bone broth as part of the cooking procedure whenever he makes viands that have soup in it. I don't really like sipping on the soup, but I make sure that the rice in my plate is soaked with soup.