Do You Make Pizza At Home To Try To Save Money?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Ke Gordon • Feb 14, 2016.

1. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I must admit, I have not made pizza at home too many times. It is usually easy to pick one up from a pizza place or buy a frozen pizza. The most I have usually done is use a Bobboli crust and add ingredients. However, the Bobboli crust's are now rather high priced too. So, Since I had coupons for Pillsbury Pizza dough, I got it in the can, since I had coupons it may have cost me 1.50. I bought mozzarella cheese (got it at the cheap store so it was about 1.70...I didn';t use it all, so say 1.50 for the cheese. Even though, I would have preferred pepperoni, I had left over green pepper, black olive and onions. I used those...plus I have a ton of Classico spaghetti sauce from a holiday trip to Costco, I used that...and the pizza turned out great...It may have cost me 3.50 at the very most. Yeah, maybe at Aldi I could have gotten something similar for 2.99 but it would not have the fresh ingredients, and would be higher in sodium. I really liked this pizza think next time I might try a little hamburger meat along with veggies.

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I make my own versions because it does save money, but also I can add the toppings I really want. I usually use garlic bread, or some crusty bread with butter and add tomato paste and garlic to it, then add the toppings.

I think it can be healthier too, as you can add less cheese and more veggies. I always add more onions on the base for flavor, and also a layer of pesto.

3. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I tend to favor just having one delivered because it doesn't cost that much anyway and the amount of time and effort I get to save I could just put towards something else. However, sometimes I do crave something a bit more homemade so on these occasions I will make one myself, though I wouldn't say I am doing it primarily to save money because even though I do end up making it for cheaper I also use a lot of cheaper ingredients that make the pizza a lot less quality than I would have gotten from a restaurant, but if it's what I was craving for at the time then it's worth it.

4. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We used to make pizza bread - a pizza with all the ingredients but with an old bread for the crust. The kids loved the bread pizza especially when we had ground meat and mushroom. However, when we computed the expenses, it looked like it is cheaper to order from Pizza Hut since they had a promo of buy 1 get 1 free. That was more than 3 years ago and until now it is Pizza Hut so we have forgotten the homemade pizza.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do not know how to cook, so I have no choice but to buy pizza. If I am craving for one, I just buy the promo where I can get 2 slices of pizza for a little over $1, so that's cheap already.

6. atlmom5

atlmom5Active Member

Threads:
    We rarely order out for pizza or buy store bought pizza. I can make several pizzas that are a whole lot more filling at home at a lower price than a frozen pizza, and the savings are huge compared to ordering take out. Ordering pizza for a family of seven can cost us between $50-$60 if we order from a small independent pizza place, but a lot higher if we order from the bigger pizza chains.

7. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, it is not that difficult to cook Sidney. I am sure you can follow package directions, and you would end up saving a lot of money in the long run. Two pieces of pizza for a dollar sounds like a great deal though!

8. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I make my own because I can't usually eat store bought pizza due to allergies. If I can eat it it's astronomically expensive as well, somewhere in the region of £5 a pizza (about $8) store bought or even more in restaurants or take out. I'd rather make my own, which costs a lot less, and I can pick the toppings that I can eat as well.

I also like pizza bread, @Corzhens@Corzhens! We've done that for years, if we happen to have the ingredients already that need to be used up! It makes a nice treat sometimes!

9. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I like to make homemade pizza and my kids like to put the toppings on themselves. I do not necessarily make it to save money because I like the taste of it versus ordering pizza out. Plus, a bonus is using as much ingredients I want instead of getting the few they put on take out pizza. I will buy frozen pizzas that will go on sale 10/$10 to have for a quick meal once in a while but that is usually the only ones I will buy. I just recently tried the Pillsbury pizza dough but thought it tasted too much like the biscuits so I did not really care for it.

10. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I have made homemade pizza a few times but I find it can get quite costly. By the time you add up the price of the dough, mozzarella cheese, pepperoni, and veggies it's going to cost as much as getting one from a pizzeria. I will sometimes use English muffins and top them with pizza sauce, some cheese and pepperoni for the kids. They enjoy this, I just leave out all the toppings and they make their own. I was once up at a friends cottage and we made personal pizza and cooked them on the BBQ. That was really great but again, costly by the time we were done.

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Ke Gordon@Ke Gordon, I haven't really tried buying a frozen pizza in the supermarket, but I once bought a frozen pizza that was reheated in a pizza and burger store. The pizza tasted awful! It's bland and lacking in ingredients! So I'm a bit wary of the quality of frozen pizzas after that incident.

12. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    Not as a rule. Pizza is something I treat myself to rarely, so I don't mind paying a bit more for it when I do. I find that Domino's and Pizza hut just make it far better than I ever could, so why scrimp there.

13. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I sometimes make my version of pizza with very inexpensive biscuit pop open dough. I can get this pop open dough for just .72 locally at the supermarkets. I wonder sometimes if the crescent roll pop open dough will work making it in my cast iron pan, but it's a bit too pricey for me, so I stick with my pop open biscuit dough which I spread spaghetti sauce and cheeses with pepperoni that I slow cook on stove top for a pizza to eat. I mostly buy frozen pizza that I doctor up with extra string cheese and extra pepperoni too.

14. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I do this too! Pizza is almost $15 a pie where I live. I can buy some yeast packets for under a dollar, I already have flour and the other ingredients. It is a quick way to make a tasty meal in the winter time. I don't make pizza in the summer though. It is way too hot.

15. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    When I'm really in the mood for pizza, but don't want to spend much, I will usually just get a frozen one at Save-A-Lot. They sell their store brand of 12" pizza's for 2 for $5 or $2.50 each if you just buy one. They're not amazing but they're much better than a lot of the other frozen pizzas in that price range. The other good thing is they really aren't that bad in terms of fat and calories, since they're not as greasy and swimming in cheese like what you would get from delivery.

I do like making pizza at home as well, but it's not always as cost effective as just getting a frozen one. By the time I buy a bag of shredded mozzarella and a jar of pizza sauce, I'm already over $3.50, and I haven't even gotten the dough or any other toppings such as peppers, pepperoni, or whatever else. Most of the time, if I make a pizza at home, it's when I have some leftover pasta sauce, and some leftover veggies I'm trying to use up.

I've also tried making the dough entirely from scratch, with yeast and bread flour. But not only does that take several hours when you factor in the rising, the end result is never really worth the effort imo. I'm terrible at making breads and pizza crusts from scratch for some reason, lol.

16. Charon LeFleur

Charon LeFleurNew Member

Threads:
    I once tried to make pizza at home; not only did it taste terrible compared to even pizza chains but it cost me twice as much because I had to purchase all of the ingredients. I think if you've got the gift of making good pizza it's worth it but otherwise it should be just a treat you enjoy when you've got the cash.