Do you make shopping lists?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by isabbbela • Mar 31, 2014.

1. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have been obsessed with making lists lately! I do them for everything. I write down what I need from grocery shopping, from the drugstore, what I need to buy for my dog, what clothes I want at the mall, lists for everything and anything!

You name it, I have a list for it! To make the lists I use a simple note app (called Colored Notes) where I can have colorful notes containing actual notes or checklists. I usually use the checklists. While I find lists very useful, it's exhausting to keep them up! For example, if I'm about to sleep and remember I need something at the drugstore, I have to get up and write it down, otherwise I'm unable to sleep!

Is anyone else like that? Are you obsessed with creating lists for everything??

2. starfox64

starfox64Active Member

Threads:
    To be honest, I've never made a shopping list. I go strictly on memory, and of course, I end up kicking myself later for forgetting something. The thing is, we have a local Wal-Mart neighborhood market very close to my house, so it is no biggie if I forget anything.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I always make lists of what I should buy before I go to the mall so that I won't forget to buy what I need. But I don't make lists as often as you do, I will only make them when I think that I might forget them. I don't really make lists about the clothes that I want because I think I can trust my memory to remember that, the same goes for other "major" purchases.

4. sunnyside

sunnysideActive Member

Threads:
    I make a shopping list mainly when I go grocery shopping. I would also make a shopping list around Christmas time of gifts I plan to buy for different people. If I do not make a list when I go grocery shopping, I would more often than not forget one or two items. Even if I am only shopping for a few things, I still like to make out a list. Not only do I make out a list, but I like to put an estimated price next to each item on the list so that I would have an idea of how much money I would be spending. The prices are not always exact but are usually very close, since I would have a good idea of the prices having shopped for the same items on other occasions.

There are those who would shop without a list and just go from aisle to aisle, perusing the shelves to see what they need from each particular aisle. However, I think shopping this way may cause one to buy extra stuff thereby spending more money than if they had a list which they could stick to.

5. maxen57

maxen57Active Member

Threads:
    I always make a shopping list especially when I had to buy a lot of stuff. When my son's seventh birthday came up, I listed and listed so many things and tired as I was after the purchases, I was still glad because I didn't forget anything. Here in the Philippines, the first, the seventh, the eighteenth (for girls) and the twenty-first (for boys) are the most important birthdays so it was crucial that I didn't forget anything.

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't make shopping lists anymore. It's not that I don't find the useful. There was time I shopped with a shopping list every day but since I've been the same things every two weeks for a really long time, I don't need the shopping lists anymore. I not only know what I should buy but know exactly what the cost will be most of the time [as prices change here for some items each season].

7. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh absolutely, I do! I find having a list every time I go groceries shopping serves two purposes; I never forget anything and it helps me stick to my budget. I try not to deviate too much from it. The fact that I've used a list for so long means it's almost imprinted in my brain, too. Once or twice when I've forgotten to take it, I've been able to get almost everything I would have got anyway.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    As for me, I only make lists when I have to buy an assorted group of items, other than that, I don't make them. If I make a list,then I write it on paper or on my phone.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I sometimes do although I mostly only do it when I know I'll be buying a lot of items and I know I'll forget one or two if I don't write them down so throughout the course of a week or sometimes even months I'll start jotting down items as I remember them and when I feel the list is already complete I'll be going out and having more confidence in buying since I know I have already written down all that I want to buy. I also do it for grocery lists though for those I tend to just write down on the day of shopping just because I'm usually too lazy to think about it prior.

10. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    As I had posted in another thread, I never go shopping without a grocery list. Actually, my grocery list is in my phone for I note down whatever that comes to my mind and when I go to the supermarket, I have a list to follow. However, I am only human so I admit that sometimes or should I say often I buy more as add on to my grocery list especially when there are promos and discounted bundles. My grocery list now is good for 2 weeks because of time constraints, heavy workload in the office.

11. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I will sometimes make lists if there are specific things I am looking for or I am buying a lot of merchandise. Lists can help you if you think you are likely to forget items when you are in the store. I like to be open sometimes when I am in the store though so I can leave some flexibility for bargain purchases. My mother was always big on making lists for doing everyhing around the house. I think it helps to keep your organized.

12. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I always make a list, and I always stick to it. I have a piece of paper on the front of the fridge and write on it when I run out of something, and whenever I go to the shops I am able to take the list that I have. I think that this is the best way of working for me, as it means that I don't ever forget to buy things, and I always have enough of everything that I need.

13. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    I don't make a physical shopping list when going shopping but I do have an outline in my head of what I will be purchasing. I usually mostly stick to what I have decided without out any considerable deviation.

14. Shoplady

ShopladyMember

Threads:
    I definitely always have a shopping list for the grocery store or drugstore so that I stick to the items I plan to buy. This really helps my budget by helping me avoid impulse purchases. I also keep a list of other random items that I need like tools, clothing, etc. that are not immediate needs. This way I can keep my eye out for sales and bargains on those items I want to get but don't need right away. I also have a Christmas list and upcoming birthday list so that I can find these things on discount and not be stressed with last minute holiday shopping.

15. hades_leae

hades_leaeActive Member

Threads:
    I would say that people who have many categories of things that they need to buy are probably the ones who make list after list. I don't make them, I used to when I had my first apartment.

I remember going shopping like once a month, and because I didn't g often, I would buy up everything that I needed for the house. After my first 2 or 3 times doing this, I realized when I got home that I missed so much stuff, so I started creating list afterwards.

16. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I make a list if I'm going shopping for items I don't normally buy more than if I'm going shopping for regular things. For example if I'm going shopping for a party I'll write down what I need (including if I need any paper plates, etc) as well as the food items. I'll usually categorise these by shop too after searching online for which shop has each item at the best price unless it's something I buy all the time anyway. But generally if it's just a regular grocery shop then I don't need a list.

17. rosemoon

rosemoonActive Member

Threads:
    I tried making shopping lists for a while, but it didn't work out. At least not when it comes to grocery shopping. I would always end up buying stuff that wasn't on the list or forgoing what was on the list. Once I got to the grocery store I just couldn't stick to the list. I do always make a mental list when I go clothes shopping though. I don't really like clothes shopping though so it's easy for me to not purchase things I don't need.

18. cluckeyo

cluckeyoActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I make my shopping list out on large index cards. I do the shopping for us and my parents. So I will have a list called "Walmart". Our stuff is on one side and their stuff is on the other. Another card for Sam's, one card for each store. Then I have a card where I write down my coupons - what it's for, what size requirement, how many required, how much off. That way I can quickly see what I have available and pick and choose which coupons I want to use. This system works good for me.

19. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08Active Member

Threads:
    Making lists keeps me focused and prevents me from impulse buying. It also makes me ponder the cost of the items prior to buying them.

20. shcoo

shcooMember

Threads:
    I use an app called EverNote to keep ongoing shopping lists. It's super helpful, and making lists helps me plan healthy meal ingredients ahead of time and not buy anything I don't need. I can also try to estimate how much cash I will need for each grocery trip.