Do you make your own accessories?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by True2marie • Aug 13, 2014.

1. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    Diy (do-it-yourself) is a big trend currently. The recession inspired many people to make their own stuff. Are you one of them? If so, do you make your own accessories?

One of my friends makes cute bracelets. She gets her supplies from Jo-Ann Fabric and craft store. Another person I know creates mini purses. And I - I crochet scarves. The cost to do these crafts and produce a product is way less than going out to a store and buying the corresponding item.

Easiest hat to crochet . . .
    [​IMG]

#1Aug 13, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  2. Bright7

Bright7Active Member

Threads:
    Nice hat! I crochet my own hats and scarves, too. I have a book on bead crochet, and I want to try making bracelets, necklaces and even earrings. A great advantage about making your own accessories is that you will have one of a kind piece that no one else will have, and you created it. That is a very rewarding feeling.

3. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    I don't make my own accessories, but my aunt makes alot of dresses and hair bows for the kids in the neighbor.

4. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I don't make my own accessories. I don't have any crocheting, knitting or real creative skills so I don't think I would even try to get into it. I think it's a nice idea because you could then give it as gifts or have an accessory that truly is one of a kind.

5. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I can sew well enough to make a simple dress or top. My mom use to make all of my clothes when I young, she would take a coat apart and refashion it to make fit me often. She also mades hats. She was very talented in that way, her eyes started to give her trouble so she stopped sewing. I was never as talented as she was in the sewing department. As I said I can make a simple top that is now selling for $20+ in the store, often I do not purchase a item because I feel it is over priced because I know I can do it myself, it is a matter of time for me often.

6. MindyT

MindyTActive Member

Threads:
    I do not make my own accessories. I am NOT crafty. I do NOT have the patience, the time, or the passion to make items. I don't even pretend to! It is just not me.

7. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I don't. First, I don't use them. Second, I don't have time. But I have a friend who's really good in making accessories that she could actually sell them as they are done very fine. But she doesn't; she only use the accessories that she makes for herself, just to be unique and be sure that she'll find no one wearing the same accessories that she does.

8. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    I wish I had the time to make my own accessories. I guess it's not my passion, although I love wearing handmade earrings and bracelets. I have a friend who makes handmade jewelry and I just buy from her. One thing that's great about handmade jewelry is the uniqueness. You know that you will never have anyone wearing the same stuff as yours. My other friend makes her own scarves. Another one weaves leather strips into belts. These items are so amazing. I just want to wear them but couldn't make one.

9. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have been making my own individual jewellery and clothes for a long time. I like to collect seeds, nuts and shells and turn them into necklaces and bracelets. I also enjoy creating special designs that I print onto my scarves and t-shirts. My head is always full of new ideas. I simply like unusual and outstanding accessories for myself, and also to appreciate in others. :)

10. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I've never made any accessories, but I'd love to try something like this out, crochet sounds like a great hobby to have especially if you have a lot of downtime like me, and making you own accessories like hats, scarves, gloves, etc is not only a very cost-saving practice, but also looks like lots of fun.

11. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I used to make bracelets when I was younger and had a lot more time, but now I don't anymore although it's okay since I don't really wear bracelets anymore anyway. I still make them with my nieces and nephews from time to time and I wear those sometimes because they have sentimental value but now that I've grown accustomed to not wearing anything on my wrists, I kind of get a bit uncomfortable after some time wearing the homemade bracelets. They are still very cute though and it is amazing to see the product that we get from just using a few elastic bands or other similar materials.