Do you make your own compost for plants?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by maddie • Nov 28, 2012.

1. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    I have a small vegetable garden and need to keep buying compost. I cannot make my own compost as I have no space. My garden is indoors..
    I still do some stuff from kitchen wastes..
    I blend banana peels and peels of vegetables in a blender. I leave the mixture in water tight bottles for a couple of weeks before I pour them into my plants. So far so good - i do not have gnat s and other issues.
    I have been thinking of investing in a bokashi compost bin.
    If you have the same kind of issues and still make your own compost could you share a tip or two with me. Thanks.

#1Nov 28, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  2. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    Interesting idea Maddie, how did you come up with it? I have been thinking about bokashi as well, but now I am considering worms. I think if you use containers that are narrow and tall, you could make a worm composter to fit in the corner of your kitchen without too much trouble. Bokashi is supposed to produce results within two weeks, but you still have to compost the solid waste that is left behind.

3. dhrynio

dhrynioMember

Threads:
    That is a really good idea Maddie! I will have to try that next year!

I mostly ask local farms for manure from animals that make manure that will not burn plants if used without composting. I get rabbit manure from a neighbor, goat from a local guy and I drove an hour away last year to get several bags of alpaca manure!! That stuff turned out to be gold! I mixed it into my soil and also mane a makshift manure tea with it to pour on those plants that needed a boost mid season!