Do you neglect your teeth in order to save money?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by True2marie • May 21, 2014.

1. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    I have a co-worker who CLEARLY hasn't been to a dentist in a long while. For her age - 35 - her teeth are dingy. What is ironic? This same woman sports designer purses for at least $150 or more. To me, she could carry a less fancy bag and do something about the yellow sticks hanging out of her mouth. :)

2. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I do not, but know plenty of people who do. I think it is very short sighted because if you ignore your teeth now later on you could have very large dental bills when the problems become so large that they are not merely cosmetic or so painful that significant dental work is needed. I generally feel sorry for people who do not care for their teeth because I feel like it must be too large of a financial burden for them to maintain their smile, but in the case of your co-worker it sounds like she is not prioritizing.

3. Francy

FrancyMember

Threads:
    I definitely do not neglect my teeth. It is definitely worth the money to me. You only have one set of teeth so I believe in taking care of them the best I can. I brush and floss on a regular basis and see my dentist every six months. I do have insurance that pays a portion, but I have annual deductibles to meet as well. But it's totally worth it to me.

4. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Have you ever considered that your co-worker might have a great fear of dentists? It sounds like you don't like her for other reasons than just her teeth. :)
    Personally I don't care if people have straight, crooked, yellow, white, fake or gold teeth, as long as their breath isn't too bad. I pay a lot of attention to my own teeth, valuing my electric toothbrush, natural tooth paste and dental floss very much. It cuts down my dentist bills dramatically.

5. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    I do my best to look after my teeth everyday and I never look forward to going to see a dentist.

But I save a separate money not only for the dentist just in case but also for other health emergency.

6. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    I do my best to look after my teeth everyday and I never look forward to going to see a dentist.

But I save a separate money not only for the dentist just in case but also for other health emergency.

7. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    For a woman that cares about her looks enough to buy designer purses/clothes, she sure doesn't mind exposing a broken smile hehe :p

I guess that it's all about priorities. When your teeth are fine and you're in no pain it's easy to spend money on less important things. And it's funny, these kinds of people are the ones that will end up complaining about how expensive the dentist is when they could've easily avoided getting there.

8. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    Maybe she has a fear of the dentist? Something that is very common.

My teeth are not in the best shape because I sucked my thumb up until I was 18 (and I sometimes still wake up in the middle of the night sucking my thumb today) and I ate a heap of sweets.

I don't believe many people skip the dentist because of a desire to save money.

9. caseyfacey

caseyfaceyActive Member

Threads:
    Maybe she doesn't have proper dental coverage and she needs a procedure that costs way too much? Maybe she has a fear of the dentist (which many do...including me). You sound very quick to judge. Perhaps she is fine with her teeth.

10. Gloryontheway

GloryonthewayNew Member

Threads:
    I have had many abscess teeth from my wisdom teeth. The pain was extremely excruciating. I had dental surgery to remove all four of my wisdom teeth. I have also had a root canal that gives me pain just thinking about what was done. I go to the dentist when I am in pain. I make sure I floss, brush and use over the counter whitening products to take care of my teeth. You will end up spending more money later by neglecting your dental care. Every one thinks different. I don't like talking about other people's shortcomings.

11. JaydonTyler

JaydonTylerActive Member

Threads:
    There is no reason anyone should neglect their teeth. its cost effective when you live a healthy lifestyle and maintain good hygiene. You dont need to buy expensive products to do this. All that you need to do is be healthy. What is health? It's the maintenance of the body. What does that mean? That means you need to add fuel (food) and keep the body clean (free of toxins). This is cheap to do since you will actually be buying less products and the foods you do by are cheaper.

Your health plays an impact on your teeth. Brushing is not enough. You dont need to go to the dentist if you are healthy, but I would say going at least once a year is a good choice if you can.