Do you often buy used / second hand items?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by whnuien • May 9, 2014.

1. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    I like buying used items for gardening and also books if they are cheap but I don't for clothing or any other things. I have tried buying a used fan but it actually stopped working 2 weeks after :( What kind of used items do you buy and how often do you purchased them? Do they always worth your money?

2. katharinemae

katharinemaeActive Member

Threads:
    I buy used books, as long as it is in good condition. I love reading and collecting books in any genre that are good reads. Buying new books is really expensive
    and less and less people are buying them because of ebooks and the internet so I find it really exciting if I can find second hand books that are for sale and for a cheaper price.

3. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    For tools, I never buy brand new, I always go for the secondhand. Also, books. Secondhand books are very cheap and most of them are in good condition. I once bought a book for $2 and the original price was about $25 or something and the book is in good condition and barely have creases on the pages. As for more personal items like clothes, I always buy them brand new, you'll never know how much sweat the last guy has done to those clothes.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always buy used items. Be it DVDs, Books, Clothes, etc, I always buy second-hand not just because they are cheap. It's easy to find a used item that's almost as good as a new one which costs half the price of the new item. However, if the items don't look new to me, then I definitely wouldn't buy them. That's where I draw the line.

5. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    It depends. In most cases I like to buy electronics that are refurbished. I have in the past got some good deals from Ebay and other online stores. I think so long as the seller is top rated then you can be sure that whatever you are buying is also good. I have no issues so far but I always select carefully.

6. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Personally, I don't prefer buying second-hand items. Thinking just about the past of any item that I now possess creeps me out. So, as much as possible, I don't like to have much past. So I buy new stuff. I only buy the second-hand items, if the item were not available anywhere else, if it were something I really wanna have for collection, maybe or for some sentimental reasons.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I started to buy 2nd hand cellphones just this year when my phones broke and I have nothing to use. The 2 that I bought malfunctioned or stopped working after 2 to 3 months of use, so I think we should not expect a long life in general if buying used electronics. If they last for more than a year then you're lucky to have bought a durable one. I don't mind buying used clothes as long as they still look presentable, the same goes for other items like books or cd's.

8. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    I love buying second hand stuff to be honest. I buy from nice thrift shops and garage sales. I have gotten a number of great items. I don't usually by electronics, though I recently bought a gaming console. However, I mainly buy knick knacks and clothes. I have found brand new clothes at second hand stores with tags still on them. Or clothes that look new. Knick knack wise I have made my Teddy Bear collection a lot bigger. I also found a silver bedroom set with a tray, picture frame, mirror, perfume, bottle. It was beautiful and such a steal. I had to clean off the tarnish, but it was beautiful and only $15.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I rarely buy used items because I'm always very skeptical of the lifespan of each item I purchase due to the fact that i don't know exactly how the item was treated prior to the sale, but I do still buy some if they are just items I won't be using too much or items I wouldn't mind being messed up earlier than expected, especially if the item is the type wherein all damages are easily visible. I mostly just buy books second hand because I'm not too particular about other people having touched the item a lot when it comes to books for some reason, and they usually are way cheaper than the original price when you buy them second hand so even if there are some torn pages, as long as they are complete then I wouldn't be wasting too much of my money since I could still read the whole thing despite a few damages.

10. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I buy most things second-hand, simply because I never know what kind of treasures I will find in thrift shops, garage sales or second-hand outlets. I like unusual and rare things, not necessarily antiques, but one-offs such as home made furniture or clothes and other custom-made items.

11. Livvy

LivvyActive Member

Threads:
    Books and comics are what I will always try and buy used if I'm buying online, and if the thing I want is a little older, you know? If it's a new release, especially if its a hard cover, I will buy that new. I just can't pass up on the smell of a new book, and the feel of a hard back. If I'm buying online though, I'll look at the used copies first. Mostly because I feel weirdly bad about all these books that don't have owners anymore.

Yeah I know I'm weird.

12. luigi

luigiMember

Threads:
    I tend to buy my clothes used most of the time. My wardrobe consists of 80% thrift store items and 20% graphic tees bought in store or at a convention. Other than clothes, I have bought furniture, glasses, picture frames, knick-knacks, books, and board games from thrift stores. I will never, EVER buy used underwear (why do they even sell it?), night wear, mattresses, or silverware from thrift stores.

13. Livvy

LivvyActive Member

Threads:
    Somebody is buying that underwear...

14. davbopol13

davbopol13Active Member

Threads:
    I buy most of my clothes from thrift stores. I can't afford the brands I like the most, so I find it fun to look for them at the thrift stores, and pay pennies on the dollar for them!

15. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I buy all kinds of used items at thrift stores. Anything that I can sell on eBay for a profit. If I see a Ralph Lauren shirt for $4 at Goodwill, I buy it and sell it on eBay.
    I like to buy used kitchen stuff like dishes and coffee mugs for myself too.