Do you prefer a employee to come up to you when you are browsing or do you prefer to go to them for

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by amynichole318 • Mar 6, 2014.

1. amynichole318

amynichole318Active Member

Threads:
    When I go shopping for a large ticket item mostly like furniture or a new car, it seems like an salesperson comes up to me as soon as they spot me and start asking questions and giving information on what ever I am looking at, even if I didn't ask for help. Then they tend to follow me around the store and that drives me insane. Most of the time I just wish they would leave me alone so I can browse without the presurre. One time I went looking for a kitchen table and the sales person would not stop, he couldn't take a hint at all he just followed me like a lost puppy. He made me so nervous I finally just left, went across the street and bought a table from the other store.

Do you prefer having someone right there to answer all of your questions and/or give you a history of the object or do you prefer for the salespeople to just stand somewhere where you can find them when you need them. :confused:

2. caseyfacey

caseyfaceyActive Member

Threads:
    If you're making large purchases, the employees are usually pretty eager to help because they most likely gain commission off your purchase. They aren't just regular retail salespeople, but salespeople who work on commission as well. They want to make sure that they are the ones helping you from start to finish. If someone is annoying you that badly, just tell them you'd like to browse alone for a little while, and ask their name. Thank them and say you will come get them if you have any questions. (Of course, make sure you actually do so.) That way the salesperson knows you are aware of their name and what they look like, so there is no fear of another salesperson coming in to take their sale.

But I'm like you - I like to browse by myself unless I'm totally clueless about whatever it is I'm buying.

3. Gmac9100

Gmac9100Active Member

Threads:
    No. I prefer for employees to wait until i ask them for help. I find it super annoying when they bug me every few minutes. I know they are doing their job, but anyone with common sense should know that if i needed help i would ask for it. They are too aggressive sometimes.

4. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    To me the best situation is when I get into a store, someone introduces themselves and say they are available in case I need any help. Then they leave me to browse on my own. That way, the person shows respect and shows they are there for me, but I can browse and shop without being interrupted and having unwanted opinions all the time from someone I don't know.

5. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I usually prefer to go to them for help, although sometimes they are difficult to find or are busy. I think it's very rare I get the situation I want. Either I'm happy to left alone and am bothered, or I want assistance and there is none to be found.

6. Cara18

Cara18Member

Threads:
    From my experience in retail it seems like most people would prefer to come up to you. I've had a mix of both but majority of people just tell me they're just looking. They seem grateful that I offered my help and am polite. I have had customers who hurry up and walk away when they see me approaching them. But I don't think people should just come up to you giving you all kinds of information and following you. They're probably on commission.

7. Mafdet

MafdetMember

Threads:
    I don't like for them to come and offer their help unless I request it. I understand they are trying to be helpful and make you feel important, and maybe trying to push a sell, but I like to take my time when browsing and I really don't like to be bothered while I do.

8. sarz

sarzActive Member

Threads:
    I worked in retail for a long time so I see both sides of the coin. As a consumer I find it annoying when you have barely got your foot across the shop door and the assistant is in your face promoting offers and asking what you know yourself.

On the flip side I have found that due to targets and kpi's that I have been reluctantly forced to do just this in order to keep my job. I remember at a well known department store I had to stand at the door greet customers. I did not mind this as it is nice to be acknowledged. But then I had to force a catalogue on them promote the store card and all before they had even got in the door. x-(

9. cookiemonsterv16

cookiemonsterv16Member

Threads:
    I don't mind that employees come up to you to offer help, but when they do follow you around it does make me feel uncomfortable. My Husband and I were at the mall the other day and we went to a T-shirt shop and as soon as we walked in they asked if they could help and we replied no we were just looking for now, the shop is small as it is so its hard not to notice the employee following us around & it just made us feel so uncomfortable & discourages us from wanting to make a purchase.

10. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Hi, I have had very similar experiences where the staff got impatient with me for not making a decision. So I decided that I have had more than enough of that annoying behaviour (I don't know whether they get percentages from every sale they make) and acquired a very firm attitude. These days when I walk into a shop and see a store assistant heading my way, I already shout out from a distance: " Thank you, I am fine, and if I need you, I'll find you." It works every time, as often they are just happy to stay behind the counter and carry on texting...

11. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    Personally, I dislike having the salesperson coming up to me offering to help. I much prefer to see things myself without being disturbed. Although, I don't like it I don't blame them because it's their responsibility to entertain customers. Usually when this happens, I'll tell them to get back to their work and I'll ask for them when I need to.

12. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    I strongly oppose sales people coming up to me when I am browsing. I know they are there to help me when I need it, there is no need for them to remind me of that. I get it at a car dealership where I may not be able to open the door and hop inside without keys or something. Usually I am looking at electronics or shopping for clothes when this happens.

I don't respond well to the upselling that goes on at many electronics places and the sales people at the clothing places don't know what I want to wear - although they probably have a better sense of fashion than I do.

If I am out of my element, I will let the sales person know. Shopping at an organic cosmetics place when I want to be anywhere but there - sure help me choose something so I can get out of there.

I will politely decline the assistance until I need it unless, of course, I am in one of those places where all the sales people disappear the moment you need them.

13. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    Normally I prefer to ask the questions and get all the answers. That way you will not waste a lot of time going through the history lessons. I think it is much easier that way. I also do not like all those boring history lessons about a product.

14. angelicagapit

angelicagapitActive Member

Threads:
    I definitely prefer asking for help rather than someone approaching me. If I needed help, I would go to them, so I find it uncomfortable when an employee confronts me when I want to have my alone time looking at products in the store.

I guess you could say I'm an introvert, so talking to strangers isn't always my thing if I'm not in the mood. I do understand it is helpful when they confront me and they're just doing their job, but I just prefer to just get help when I need it.

15. lavenderblue

lavenderblueMember

Threads:
    I definitely prefer to go to them for help rather than be approached almost immediately after entering the store. I usually just end up saying that I'm just looking before I've even had the opportunity to look! I understand why it's this way though and employees are often urged by upper management to be zealous in assisting customers, so I don't get irritated by the employee unless they're way too pushy.

16. costin

costinActive Member

Threads:
    Well, employees in stores are taught to come and greet the potential customer, in order to start a profitable communication, so I don`t get angry when somebody forces me to get in touch, after all they are also forced to do it.
    Ideally, I like to spend my time discovering the products, if I don`t understand something, I search for an employee in the store.

17. BlacKnight1090

BlacKnight1090Member

Threads:
    That's exactly what I go through. When you don't want the assistance they will stalk you hoping that you make eye contact with them again for a second so they can approach you again. Let me need actual help and they're half way across the store. I was once in the electronics section of Walmart and the people that normally carry the keys for the see through windows were just in random spots around me. I figured "Alright, I'll ask for help in a few minutes when I figure out what I want." Then I know EXACTLY what I want to purchase and everyone just disappeared. Lol. I have no luck with employees. Sometimes I feel they're looking through the cameras after they run away from me just to laugh. o.o

As for those looking for a commission...I understand when they're desperate, but of course it's annoying and I wonder if they realize that (or just don't care). I'm not rude to anyone if they're really trying to provide help. I just politely tell the employee "I will make sure to come to you once I need help, but thanks," without sounding like a jerk. Hard to do sometimes.

18. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would rather go to an associate when I need help than have one follow me around the the store. Sometimes I'm just there to browse or comparison shop and I don't want sales pressure. Every item I buy is a planned purchase and I check reviews online and compare prices, so I don't need someone trying to push into buying on the spot.

19. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It really depends on what I am looking for and in what mood I am in. It also depends on the assistant. If the staff is eager to make a sale, I quickly tell them that I don't need their services. I don't like to be pushed.
    If I know beforehand that I could do with some good advice before purchasing a certain item, I always look for a senior assistant who usually tends to have more common sense than the younger ones straight out of school. But, I don't want to be judgemental, I have also received wonderful service from young new employees. It really all depends on the shop, the product, the staff... and the general mood.

20. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't like salesmen at all. When I walk into a store in search for something, the last thing I need is some smarmy salesman trying to convince to buy something. That's their job I know but if I haven't asked for any kind of assistance then I'll make my desire to be left alone known.

IMO, if a salesman approaches a potential customer and his help is tacitly rejected, they should just let go.