Do You Prefer A Lawn Or A Garden?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by ExpertAdvice • Jan 22, 2015.

1. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    Have you ever thought of this concept?

If you had only one choice...between having a lawn or a garden...which would you choose?

When I refer here to a "lawn", I mean a nice, well-manicured green area at the front of your home (and in some rare cases, at the back), but for the most part, it's left "untouched", in that, it's just the grass that is the showpiece.

On the other hand, I bring before you the garden...y'know, that place, either at the front or the back of your home, and it's filled with either your best ornamental plants and/or fruit trees.

So, which one is it? Which would you choose if you had to?

Lawn or garden?

GO!

lawn or garden.

2. selina

selinaMember

Threads:
    I think whatever you choose can become better idea when you can take care or maintain your garden area or lawn. That's fine if you go for natural appearances and making garden green is always good idea but lawn is best option for me because I have to consider about my kids also and they can mess some my garden area.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'd choose a lawn any time. That's probably because I tend to spend a lot of time outdoors, doing some light reading, drawing stuff, etc. One wouldn't be able to do that in a garden so since I'll find a lawn more useful to me [for my other hobbies] I'd have to do without a [flower] garden.

4. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm sorry ExpertAdvice, I just couldn't choose! I much prefer a mix of both LOL -and wow, that a pretty garden you posted :) I like a beautiful manicured lawn, but it's always nice to have a splash of colour, too. I'm not really into gardening, so I'd have to get someone in to do all the work!

5. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    Almost every house that I have lived at, I leave the front intact with a lawn and the back with a small garden. I and my family do this setup to avoid neighbors and their pets from damaging or stealing things off our garden. The value difference between a lawn and garden is huge, because a lawn has less uses than a garden does for me.

6. blueeyes

blueeyesActive Member

Threads:
    Its impossible to choose because I love both although I did take a patch of lawn out of my side yard to make a bigger garden. Love the photo you posted :)

7. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    Very good points. I definitely have to agree with you when you say that if you choose either of the two areas, you have the capacity to make it "the better option". It really does all boil down to how you care for the area(s) you have chosen, and the special respect that you ensure is placed in regard to that area.
    It really does require that you let all guests and family members know that the garden or the lawn isn't an area that should be trampled on, peed on, or any other thing that will destroy its life and overall appearance!
    I also take your point that having a garden and having kids can be quite a hassle to maintain, because at some "playground point", it's likely that they'll get their hands, their soccer ball, their doll or something else lodged somewhere in your precious plants and flowers.
    Thank you for your help!

8. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    It would be more work in the long run, but if I have to make a choice and I'm stuck with it, I'm going with the garden. There are some super cool ways you can landscape a garden to be even better looking than a lawn. And they are sustainable. And maybe you can eat what you grow.

Lawns are boring.