Do you prefer battery of a phone to be build-in or removable?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by pandandesign • Jan 8, 2014.

1. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    I remember when I used to work for Verizon Wireless as a tech, I got many people asked if I would prefer the battery of a phone to be build-in or removable. I told them that I would prefer having a removable battery because most smartphones have a few thousand times to charge the battery before the battery becomes less and less efficient. I like how I am able to remove that battery from a smartphone so that I can put a new one in if the battery begins to drain. I don't see the reason having a build-in battery in a phone will be a good idea for power user like me. Well, that's just a personal preference. Do you prefer battery of a phone to be build-in or removable?

2. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    I also prefer rechargeable batteries that are removable. This way, we can always change it whenever it dies without having to change the whole phone. Most people will say though that the modern batteries can actually last longer than the other components in your smartphone so it doesn't really matter. Besides, the trend of how people buy new phones every few months really make having removable rechargeables redundant.

3. Carles

CarlesMember

Threads:
    I like a removable battery because you never know when your battery is going to go bad. Also, in the case of my phone, sometimes it stops working and I have to take the battery out and put it back in to get it working again.

4. delusional

delusionalActive Member

Threads:
    I don't really have a preference. I have owned mostly removable battery phones. But now I own a Nexus 4 with a non-removable battery and I like it as much as any other phone I have owned.
    I have also never bought a new battery.

5. brian101

brian101New Member

Threads:
    I've never really thought too much about it but a removable battery would be better suited for me because having a smart phone thats also a touch screen drains a lot of battery and sooner or later after a few hundred charges it becomes less efficient and your going to need a spare. Most phones I would go for a touch screen anyway so a removable battery would be a must unless they start making batteries that last a lot longer.

6. Eagle910

Eagle910Active Member

Threads:
    I agree. There is no point in having a built in battery. That would cause overheating issues. It would also make it extremely hard to repair the device without a professional technician. The most obvious reason not to want a built in battery is the fact that once you use all of your batteries charge allotments. Your phone is going to be useless, and that is the reason why there are very few phones with built in batteries.

7. crucider

cruciderNew Member

Threads:
    I prefer removable batteries over the built-in batteries because if your battery goes bad (no battery lives on forever) you'll have to send it in to the manufacturer or you have to get your phone replaced. Plus it's nice to have a backup of a battery in case you can't charge it where you are.

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I prefer built in batteries. My reasoning behind this is that the hardware just feels more solid when it is built this way, and it's not like I constantly take out the batteries anyway since I never really bought spare batteries for my gadgets even when they are the replaceable battery type. Plus, nowadays, you can just buy a powerbank as a spare portable charger instead of needing to replace the battery itself, and in case you do eventually need to replace the battery due to permanent damage, you can just take it to a service center which presumably would only happen once a year or two, which to me is not that impractical.

9. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I always prefer removable. If the battery goes bad, I can always just buy a new one rather than having to send my phone back to the manufacturer and have them replace it again, its a hassle. But the downside for removable batteries is that your phone can feel a bit heavier that those with built in batteries. Also, phones with built in batteries are more compact and feels more sturdy, you don't have to worry about the battery flying off when you accidentally drop your phone or something. But the best thing about removable batteries is that you can bring an extra battery with you if you're in the middle of the road and your phone decided to just doze off.

10. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    Personally I would go for removable battery. These days the batteries get spoiled so easily so it will be much easier if such a thing happens, you can just go and replace it in a snap. For non removable you will need the help of a technician to change it which means spending more money. Well that is not something that you want.

11. FatesWing

FatesWingActive Member

Threads:
    I absolutely prefer a removable battery. I was eagerly awaiting the release of the HTC One at one point but when I found out it didn't have a removable battery I changed my mind. The benefit of a removable battery is that it is easier to replace should your battery begin to malfunction or lack holding a charge the way it should. I find too, that if for some reason the charger port becomes damaged, the only way around this issue is to have a backup battery to switch out when necessary.

12. eagle22

eagle22Active Member

Threads:
    After having experience with both I much prefer the battery to be removable. I hated the built in battery actually. One of my favorite accessories to get for phones is a back up batter and I couldn't do that with the built in battery. Honestly I don't see a point to having the battery built in.

13. Sly14Cat

Sly14CatActive Member

Threads:
    I don't see why anyone wouldn't want a removable battery. The advantages are numerous as you can replace it to get a longer use time when you're on the go, or you can replace the battery for $50 once your phone gets old instead of having to buy a new one for hundreds of dollars. It's like having a desktop computer, you can replace parts whenever you need to.

14. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    I hate that all the new phones now doesn't let you take off the back of the phone. I understand that it's to prevent people from buying new phones online and just switching SIM cards instead of buying from the "official" retailers. I prefer to be able to take the batteries out of a phone, because sometimes smartphone can freeze up just like a computer can, and there's no way to restart the phone except to pull out the battery. So with these new phones, once it's frozen, it's frozen until it's battery dies. Which sucks butts honestly.

15. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    While I would prefer one that is removable, many phones nowadays have them built in instead.

The major downside is not being able to replace them easily when they start dying.

16. robin2508

robin2508New Member

Threads:
    I prefer removable battery, it is very frustrating when your running out of juice and there is no place for you to charge. Once I was visiting a friend, on my way there I battery almost die. It was the first time I visit his city, if the battery had die that day, I don't know what I can do, no google maps, no phone calls, no text, I will get lost 100%. Removable battery can avoid situations like this.

17. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It would be easier carrying a spare battery than a charger, so I also prefer removable batteries. And you can just simply change the battery yourself instead of going to a technician if you have a removable batt type of phone. My phone's batt also must be removed if it hangs.

18. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer having phones or gadgets with removable battery. I have used phones with non-removable batteries such as the Nokia Lumia phones. I hated the fact that I could not buy a longer lasting replacement battery.
    Unibody phones should have batteries with a capacity less than 3,000 mAh. This is not the case with most built-in batteries, therefore consumers end up buying battery packs. I eventually sold that phone and got myself an Android with 2,750 mAh battery with an option to replace its battery upon order. Usually extra batteries do not cost more than $30.

19. robinegg

robineggMember

Threads:
    Definitely removable. Sometimes phones run into problems and the only way to shut it down may be to remove the battery. Also if you need to replace the battery, it will be MUCH easier to deal with it yourself, and you won't need to take it in for repair or what-have-you.