Do you prefer butter or margarine?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by daimashin • Mar 17, 2014.

1. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    Both are similar as in both can be used for spreading on bread, use for cooking, and both can be used for baking. So which one do you prefer better in term of the taste? Personally, I prefer to use butter for all occasions because I like the taste of butter more. Although butter tends to burn easily when frying, it's still a better choice for me. As for margarine, I like it too but the taste isn't as strong as butter when I eat it.

2. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    I will often have both in the house. I prefer to use butter as I like the flavour a bit better, and I think the natural thing is better than many margarine products. If I use margarine, I like a better quality one but they tend to get pretty liquid like at room temperatures. I know my fats so I can at least try to select a better margarine. I don't use a lot of either, but when I run out, I suddenly need it.

3. Scottie

ScottieMember

Threads:
    Who doesn't prefer butter? However, we have used margarine for many years -- always the "light" kind or Benecol. Actually, we've been using it for so long now I am used to it.

4. khillis

khillisMember

Threads:
    I use butter more often, but olive the most often. I never use margarine; it may be considering healthier for your heart, but it is packed with chemicals.

5. Eagle910

Eagle910Active Member

Threads:
    Though they both share the term butter. I do not think you can compare the two. they are not substitutes for each other. This question is a little ridiculous.

6. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    I love to use margarine over anything. I like that I can just use it from the bucket that it comes in . I t much easier to melt and handle verses using the butter which you have to cut and wait on it to melt down. I think margarine over everything is great.

7. eagle22

eagle22Active Member

Threads:
    It's funny you ask this because I was just having this conversation with my brother. I know this sounds weird but I actually prefer margarine, for some reason I think it tastes a lot better!

8. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I avoid Margarine's due to the hydrogenated fats, though I do like some of the products such as Earth Balance, which are supposedly healthier. I will use Earth Balance if I am cooking for someone who is vegan, for example.

One option if you prefer butter, but are concerned about high cooking temperatures, is that you can simply clarify the butter. You just warm some butter in a pan, then skim the milk solids off the top and you will be left with the butter fat which can be cooked at higher temps without burning.

9. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    When I was younger I used to prefer margarine and never tried butter. Probably because margarine was cheaper than butter was in my town that time.

But nowadays I prefer butter more than margarine and I use it for cooking, baking, and also for my toast. I just love the taste so much and sometimes the more I spread on my toast the better it tastes for me.

10. SpaceGuy

SpaceGuyNew Member

Threads:
    I prefer butter because it tastes better and it leaves a nice crispy taste when you cook with it. Although I prefer margarine when it comes to spreading because trying to spread butter is ridiculous. The cold butter might as well be super glue because of what it does to my bread when I try butter it. If anyone has tips for this and how to make butter softer so that I can spread it on my bread, it would be greatly appreciated.

11. That'sDevo

That'sDevoActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer cooking with better, it tastes better and isn't quite as bad for you as margarine.

12. Jrh2

Jrh2Member

Threads:
    I usually use butter in cooking or baking and margarine on bread. No real reason but it's what I've grown up doing as that's what my parents would do. I don't really see that there is much difference in the two though. They both do the same jobs.

13. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    Butter by far, now I've switched I don't think that I'll ever go back. Margarine is just disgusting to me now. far too oily and creamy. the texture of butter is just heavenly, I actually make my own sometimes too. I don't get much saturated fat in my diet anyway, so butter is a good supplement for that.

14. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    I love butter hands down! Not Irish or clarified butter but the stuff that comes from USA. I used to eat margarine but now can't stand the taste of it. If I feel the need to cut back, I'd say Land O'Lakes has a decent alternative since they make butter also.

15. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Oh, definitely butter. Margarine is disgusting, in my opinion. Yes, it works the same way, but that's like asking me if I like Kraft American cheese slices....or real cheddar cheese. There's a huge difference!

16. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Margarine isn't even food and it's not good for your heart. Don't believe everything you read on a label lol geez. I don't use much butter anymore, but I wouldn't even consider buying margarine. Not even if butter didn't exist anymore lol.

17. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I honestly prefer margarine because I find the taste of butter to be extremely rich. If I am making toast or something simple like that I use margarine, but for baking and cooking I tend to use butter because most people I know prefer it.

18. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Margarine doesn't taste as good as butter in my opinion, and I think they are more greasy as compared to butter and a bit salty tasting. While butter on the other hand tastes just fine and they don't taste salty at all. So I would have to say hands down to butter.