Do You Prefer Buying New, Used, Or Certified Pre-owned Vehicles?

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by Diane Lane • Sep 27, 2015.

1. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I purchase expensive items that I expect to have for years, I tend to prefer brand new products, since they are made with all new parts, and come with a warranty.

I don't really feel that way about vehicles, though, since there is such a significant loss in value as soon as you drive them off the lot. As long as the vehicle looks good and is solid mechanically, I'm fine with buying a used vehicle. My choice would be to bring a mechanic with me, but that isn't always an option. When I bought my current vehicle, I purchased it used, and I also purchased an extended warranty.

I would definitely consider purchasing a certified pre-owned vehicle, because it's been reconditioned, thoroughly inspected, and is certified to be pretty much like new, but without the higher price tag.

Not everyone owns or buys vehicles, but if you do, which is your preference?

2. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    The next time I buy a vehicle it will more than likely be a used one, unless there is some serious discounts on a new model. There is no sense in paying for a "new" vehicle when it's really no longer considered "new" anymore within a year or so - and the only thing you're stuck with is paying several thousand dollars more for it.

My most recent truck was purchased used, but it was only a year old when I got it, so I saved quite a bit vs. had I bought it new. But prior to that I had purchased an SUV brand new, and I kid you not, someone tapped my back bumper as I was driving home from the dealership with. I almost lost my cool when I got out of the vehicle to check on the damage, but thankfully there wasn't any.

3. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    I feel much the same too - in that although I did at one time almost always buy new - this is now one area that I no longer do.

Especially when you consider that the only real advantage of buying new - is that you can get exactly what you want - not just in terms of color - but also in customizing the vehicle to your own specifications by having additional features or extras added at the time of manufacture - however much as that is nice - as the main disadvantages are not only that new vehicles depreciate in value extremely quickly but also - that you generally have to experience the annoying teething problems and sometimes even product recalls during the first year of ownership - which although dealt with under warranty - can be extremely frustrating and especially so - if the vehicle has to be in the workshop for several days

I now much prefer to buy almost new or least 18 month - 2 year old, low mileage vehicles from a reputable dealer - as not only are you getting an almost new vehicle for a better price than a new one - as it will have already depreciated in value - but more importantly it will have gone through its annoying teething stages - which as they also normally come with a 2 year warranty and a choice of renewal if required - I can't see much point in buying brand new - when in this instance - almost new is better value for money.

In fact - one of the best times to buy - if looking for a good deal on an almost new vehicle - is around the time when new registrations come out - as there are generally some seriously good bargains to be had around this time - particularly as dealers are usually keen to get rid of their trade-ins as quickly as possible.

4. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @ohiotom76@ohiotom76 Ouch, that would upset me, too. I'm glad there was no damage. When I got the car I have now, it was several years old, but had very low mileage, and looked almost new. I was anxious about keeping it that way, and really babied it. Thankfully, it had already gone through the teething issues mentioned by @gata montes@gata montes, because those truly can be a headache, especially if you don't have a lot of free time, or don't live close to a dealership.

You're right about the incentives, @ohiotom76@ohiotom76, sometimes there are some really good reasons to buy new, especially if the price difference is negligible once special prices and rebates are taken into consideration. In that case, I would consider purchasing a new vehicle, but otherwise, I tend to enjoy saving money on a model from a couple of years back, as @gata montes@gata montes mentioned.

Another thing to consider is car insurance. It might be a good idea to contact your insurance agent ahead of time, to determine how each purchase would affect your rate, especially if you're on a strict budget.

5. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I can't afford to buy a new vehicle so I've also but used, I mean old used but from someone that I trust. When my credit was good enough to get financing I still bought used. I often think about a new vehicle but like @Diane Lane@Diane Lane mentioned insurance sometimes can be as much as a car payment!?

6. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm currently looking into getting a car, but it will definitely NOT be brand spanking new as I can't afford it right now. Plus I'll be new to driving, and don't want to risk wrecking a very expensive 'item' LOL I don't know the distinction between used or certified pre-owned , but it'll be one of those. Maybe later on in life when I'm more of an experienced driver and I have money to burn, I'll buy one brand new.

7. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Our first 2 cars were not brand new. The first one is a Gemini which was 15 years old. You can guess that we had suffered so much with the breakdowns and needed repairs. Our second car is a 2-year old Honda Civic. Quite good when we had it in 1996. But in 2010, it started giving us problems. Our 3rd and 4th cars are both brand new when we bought in 2013. I would say it is better to get a brand new car than getting a big discount with used cars.

8. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    If I'm being honest, I prefer to buy new, because that means that it's going to be under warranty so you don't have to worry about anything going wrong on it. That being said, I am also very aware of the fact that brand new cars lose a huge chunk of their value as soon as you drive them away, so if you're trying to save money it might not be the best thing to do. But sometimes I need to do things a little bit reckless, and cars are of the things that I do this with, to be honest.

9. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have owned a new vehicle and an used vehicle and can safely say I prefer new ones. I had some trouble with my used vehicle, and exactly because you don't really know where it came from and what problems it had in the past, it gets tricky. With a new car you have warranty from the auto brand and rarely you have trouble with those in the first couple of years.

10. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Vehicles lose their value so fast I will only consider a pre owned certified vehicle. I have purchased brand new vehicles that were lemons with a big L. The only new car I would purchase would be a Jag or Mercedes.

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If I can afford it then I will certainly buy it brand new. Otherwise I would go for the 2nd hand ones, as long as it is not that used and abused and it still looks presentable.