Do you prefer coffee maker coffee or the single use K cups?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by justusforus • Nov 13, 2013.

1. justusforus

justusforusActive Member

Threads:
    I have both a Mr. Coffee and a Keurig Brewer. Mr Coffee is great if you have a lot of coffee drinkers. Keurig is good for single or a couple cups use. I have recently heard from a friend that they can tell, using the same brand coffee, which is brewed by the pot or by the cup. Which do you prefer or can you tell any difference at all?

2. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer brewing my own. The keurig et al is just wasteful.

3. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'm a fan of instant coffee, provided it's a brand I like. If I'm in the mood, I will opt for brewed coffee. I rarely drink coffee nowadays anymore anyway, I'm more interested in tea now to be honest. :D

4. erronousRogue

erronousRogueMember

Threads:
    Iced/instant coffee for me unless it's something for something really fancy or I have people over. I'm unable to see the difference between types of brewed coffee though, for me it just doesn't matter.

5. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    I have a Mr. Coffee coffee maker and I love it. There is nothing that can substitute the flavor of a fresh, recently-made coffee, particularly if you have a selection of gourmet beans.

6. jbepp

jbeppMember

Threads:
    I love my Mr. Coffee coffee maker.
    I don't like how instant coffee tastes, and I like making my own coffee.

7. dazzlingblue

dazzlingblueMember

Threads:
    I do have a really nice keurig machine; I actually won it in a contest at my work. I can't believe how much I love it, but I don't buy the pre-made pods since using pods really is what makes using that machine so expensive. I use reusable pods, but not the one that comes with the machine since it requires you to pretty much take apart the keurig every time.

Melitta makes one called the javajig---which I prefer since I get to use their filters (a special sized one for the javajig). The whole thing is maybe $5, and I just buy their pack of 75 filters for even less than that. There's also another reusable one I like called ekobrew. There's no filter to deal with. You can also fill it with tea leaves, and it'll brew your tea.

I never thought I'd like the keurig machine, but the convenience is truly awesome. And since I also drink a lot of tea, it's great to have hot water on demand.

8. themarting

themartingActive Member

Threads:
    i like the kcups for convenience, but i used to think they only had weak coffee. Found out about green mountain Dark Magic K cups and have been using those ever since.

9. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I'm glad we are mostly on the same page concerning those K-cups. They are immensely wasteful. The power you are using to brew one cup as well as the packaging you are getting rid of each time you want a cup and having to buy each cup individually??? God forbid you're a two cup coffee or tea drinker in the morning. Nonsense.

10. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    While single use capsules have their own use and are good for when you have to make coffee for a lot of people or just are in a hurry. But if you want to drink some good coffee, i think you are better just brewing it yourself.

11. rossonomous

rossonomousActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer making my own. Coffee makers tend to give more of a bland taste I find, whereas when I do my own I can do it perfectly.

12. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like to smell the coffee brewing when I use the coffee maker. The Kcups are expensive to use and convenient but the flavors they offer is more interesting than the coffee maker.

13. Dolson910

Dolson910Member

Threads:
    I love my Keurig! It seems like the single cup servings come out with a stronger coffee flavor and the coffee is hotter than a cup of coffee from a pot. I love the variety of coffees you can get in the K-cups too. You also can't beat the clean up process for a Keurig! It is so much easier than a standard coffee maker. Yes, the K-cups are a bit more expensive, but for me, I find that I make coffee at home a lot more often now, instead of making so many trips to coffee shops!

14. downloadsincomplete

downloadsincompleteMember

Threads:
    Those K-Cups are very, very expensive. Pound for pound, they end up being like $50 USD. I supposed it is cheaper than going to Starbucks every day, but if that is what you are comparing it to then your cost-savings analysis is going to be very skewed. It is so much cheaper to brew your own the old fashioned way.

15. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Originally I scoffed at the idea of single cup coffee makers when I first saw them on the market. Then my workplace was remodeling and they temporarily took out our coffee station, so HR set up a makeshift one with a Keurig and a big rack of different coffee pods. I was really surprised at how good the coffee was from them. I read somewhere that they inject some kind of gas into the pods when sealing them which keeps the coffee grounds fresh. I think that's one of the main differences, by the time you get to the bottom of a can of coffee, it's kind of gotten stale which is not really the case with the pods.

Yes they are wasteful, and yes the price per pound is much more. However if you only want a cup or two once in a while, I could see where they might possibly save you money too depending on how often you're drinking coffee. I never know exactly how much coffee I am in the mood for and would often brew a whole pot then never end up finishing it, and dumping it out. That's not the case with Keurigs.