Do you prefer Driving or flying

Discussion in Travel started by niceness8000 • Aug 29, 2012.

1. niceness8000

niceness8000Active Member

Threads:
    If you are traveling a long distance, say more than 500 miles or more, would you prefer to drive the distance or fly the distance. I don't actually mind long-distance driving provided we can move at our own speed. Now that we have a son, he doesn't show the patience to drive for really long distances, so now we fly most of the time. I think my limit is between 18 to 24 hours of driving before I am sick of being in the car. But anything shorter than this, I would opt to drive first.

2. SEA81

SEA81Active Member

Threads:
    I hate to fly, so definitely driving. I like being able to stop when I want to, and I like being able to have my own personal space. The only time I fly is when I have to be somewhere on a deadline, otherwise I am all for a roadtrip, especially when the scenery is nice!.

3. supergirl

supergirlMember

Threads:
    Driving is so long. I am from England and a three hour drive is a long one for us! I would always prefer to fly - being able to sit back, relax, get fed is something that I will always appreciate, rather than having to concentrate on the road. Especially in the horrible conditions we get over here...

4. Kaybee517

Kaybee517Active Member

Threads:
    If the drive was 500 miles or under I think I can handle driving, but if it's longer that that I'll be buying a plane ticket. Depending on where the drive is it's not too bad, especially freeway driving with no traffic lights. It's not too bad and you don't have to worry about being squished on a plane and eating airplane food.

5. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have a driver's license so somebody else would have to be driving. Since that's the case, it doesn't really matter whether I'm in a car or in a plane.

6. Pocs

PocsActive Member

Threads:
    I love to fly, but it isn't in my budget usually. Ocassiinally the hubby and I will find a great deal on a flight and as long as we don't need a rental car, into the air we go. We drive almost all the time, we both enjoy long car rides and love admiring scenery. Not to mention it's alittle more cost friendly than flying and less hassles. The airport is such a stressful place nowadays.

7. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    500 miles and more? I'd rather fly! I can only drive around town but going more than that amount of miles is gonna cause me some real muscle pain so I'd rather a flight :).

8. iRichard

iRichardMember

Threads:
    I live in Ohio so going trips to places like California. I would prefer to fly than drive, and I think flying is a lot faster than driving in a car and it's safer.

9. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer driving to flying. Traveling is my way of seeing the world but when I fly I don't see much of it. So I prefer to go by road. The advantage of driving is that we can stop where and when we want. A few years ago, I used to drive up from the Deep South in Thailand to Bangkok, 1200 kilometers away. Well, not alone. We used to stop along the way to taste some of the delicacies sold in various provinces.

10. niceness8000

niceness8000Active Member

Threads:
    Yes, I see there are a lot of differing opinions. COOL! Let me just add this: If you had one or more kids in the car with you, does that change your answer any?

11. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I prefer to drive. Twice a year, I do a 3000 mile round trip between Spain and the UK. I love the drive - we travel along the ordinary roads, rather than the toll roads, and stop off whenever we find somewhere we like. Normally, I travel in our motor home, but occasionally, we take the car and find some characterful B & Bs along the route. I hate flying, and I also hate the hanging around in the airport and the security stuff. It's so much easier on the ferries.

12. Zaturo

ZaturoMember

Threads:
    Road trips are always fun for me. I prefer that someone else drove just so that I could enjoy the view better. There's many things to see out on the road. It's a bit more difficult when on the plane. Not that I don't enjoy flying.

13. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    As far as the cost is concerned, I bet it comes out the same - and possibly flying is cheaper. Nonetheless, though, driving gives you the freedom of your own vehicle. However, there are car rentals and many people don't mind using public transport.

Right, a plane tends to fly over everything, not that seeing things from the air isn't spectacular, though. Anyway, in my own opinion, I like both, depending on my mood and/or circumstances.

14. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I am afraid to fly so I would definitely like to drive even if it is longer than 500 miles. I like to go on road trips and see different parts of the state or different parts of the country. There is so much beauty to see and interesting sites to explore. My children do not mind go on the road trips and are usually pretty good about being in the car. Of course, stopping to stretch our legs is always a must especially as I age.

15. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    I love to drive because we can have our own schedules, enjoying the nature on the way taking breaks as and when we like. During vacations, my dad is the one who drives us. I will sit in the back seat, relaxing, watching the surroundings, eating, sleeping, music and much more. I will be so thrilled.

16. Ani_m

Ani_mMember

Threads:
    If it’s more than 24 hours of driving and we can afford it, I’ll fly. We did the math once for a very long trip we were planning. And for the distance, we were going to pay more in gas, food and stops than a flight. It depends entirely on the situation. But if we can drive there we usually will You just have to keep in mind the distance and how much you’ll actually spend.

17. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    Its not much fun to fly somewhere these days and its very claustrophobic -also there are to many people coughing and spreading germs on you as well if you fly. You can leave your house on your own time and schedule, when you drive -so you can enjoy your stops along the way and even see some historic sites and other kinds of attractions.

18. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    Without thinking twice: flying! I mean... I love to fly (it's one of my favorite hobbies)! Plus, it's more safe and comfortable... So, I can't choose another option. :)

19. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    Honestly all of my journey so far done with either by road or train. I never tried out by air so far. But I won't mind either for going by air travelling. May be in future some times. lol.

I think it depends on time too. If someone need to reach to destination in less time then air travelling can take really less time. But if someone is no in hurry then they can go for anything. I love road travelling so I won't mind that too if I am not in hurry.

20. FergusMacLeod

FergusMacLeodMember

Threads:
    I don't like driving that much, so I would fly whenever I can. But I wouldn't mind traveling by car if it is less than 24 hours. If it is more that that, it's awful. I enjoy flying by plane and I don't get a chance to do it often so, that is another reason why.