Do you prefer qwerty/keypad phones or touchscreen phones?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by sidney • Sep 20, 2013.

1. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you ask me, even if touch screen phones are the norm nowadays, I would still prefer smartphones that have a keypad/keyboard. I type quite slow on a touch screen phone, and I make a lot of accidental typos too because of accidentally pressing another key as compared to a phone with a keypad, so I definitely prefer phones with a keypad for heavy typing and texting activity. It takes forever in my case to type a sentence in a touch screen phone, but with keypad phones it takes more or less a few minutes. How about you, which one do you prefer?

2. RomanAnthonysMama

RomanAnthonysMamaMember

Threads:
    I prefer qwerty keyboards, unless it's an iPhone. I'm actually not big on iOS in general, but their touchscreen keyboard is the only one I've used that is extremely fast and accurate. Android touchscreens always seem to lag, and are built for people with twig fingers. Even when I was five foot seven and 117 lbs, my fingers were still too big for the keys. So I'd go with the iPhone's touchscreen first, then a qwerty after that.

3. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    keypad>QWERTY>touchscreen

Even though i use a touchscreen phone know, i still have problems with typing because i don't have the physical feedback i have when pressing keys.

4. danealegana

danealeganaActive Member

Threads:
    Its the same for me.
    Touchscreen or not, qwerty or basic keypad, I typed so slow using mobile phones thats why I never send SMS but rather call people because its easier.
    I dont know why but since mobile phones came out, typing on it is so much hassle for me.

5. fishbowl

fishbowlNew Member

Threads:
    QWERTY keyboards are my preference. I've become so used to the locations of all the letters. In tandem with my phone's system of completing the words in the middle of typing, and I end up with very good spelling and grammar in my messages.

Touchscreen phones are really annoying to type on. I frequently find myself mis-spelling easy words, and the process of correcting it is a pain. My buddy always sends these half-indecipherable messages, expecting me to understand what he is talking about. He uses a touchscreen keyboard, and he doesn't bother to ameliorate his errors. It's like fi someoene type asd sloppily as this senteanace; it can hbefocme ver y annoying.

6. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Absolutely, 100% a qwerty girl! I loooooathe touch screens. It slows me down, I make a million stupid typos and its gross lol.

7. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I had to switch from BlackBerry when they changed the keyboards. Everyone else loves them, but I hated it and I couldn't see myself buying a new phone with one, so I moved to Android. SwiftKey makes typing on a touchscreen incredibly easy, so it's no big deal to me.

8. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I have a touchscreen and I dislike it, I have fat fingers and often press the wrong keys and a lot of times I don't even realise until I have sent what I have written.

9. 10theMCEE

10theMCEENew Member

Threads:
    I totally agree. The iPhone's touchscreen keyboard is the only one I like using so far. My family members and friends use different kinds of phones and I have gotten the chance to use the other types of touchscreen keyboards. I think it is a good idea for smart phone companies to actually capitalize on this concern of cellphone users.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've never heard of that app yet, and since I'm planning to get an Android phone this coming December, I'd check that one out.

11. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I switched from Blackberry to Android as well and I'm the opposite. I miss my BB SOOOOOOOO much lol. It was so much easier to type on. Although, my mother had a different BB than I do and I hated typing on hers. I had the Torch. the best typing out of all my phones.

12. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I preferred phones with physical keypads before. However, when I spent significant time on a touch screen device, I no longer want to go back to a phone with a physical keyboard. I have now learned how to type quickly on touch screen smartphones. To help you in typing, I suggest that you use "Swype" keyboard. It lets you simply slide your fingers across the screen in order to type.

13. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I can do with both I really don't have a a favorite from the two. But currently I use touch screen and I do pretty good with it.

14. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I feel like at this point I would prefer a ouch screen as my number one always. There is just something about not having to press a button which really helps me types much quicker.
    I do gun joy the keyboard on my laptop though but then again I wouldn't mind it if everything suddenly became touchscreen.

15. mareebaybay

mareebaybayActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer a phone with a touchscreen nowadays. I have gotten so accustomed to using phones such as the iPhone. I honestly cannot see myself using a phone unless it has a touchscreen of some sort.

16. Jaxter

JaxterNew Member

Threads:
    I definitely prefer a qwerty keyboard and unfortunately in today's market it seems like something of the past. I now have a touch screen on my S4 and I am still trying to master the keyboard. I came from a Blackberry Torch with the full qwerty keyboard and I was able to type much faster and more accurately than what I do now. I also just like getting the feedback from the "clicks" whenever i press a letter.

On my touchscreen keyboard now I mainly use Swype which I find pretty responsive and accurate as well for a touch screen. It allows me to just swipe over the letters I am using instead of punching in the letters one by one.

I'm not complaining though since my touch screen phone is so much better than my old phone in every other aspect.

17. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    One thing I hate about the QWERTY physical keyboard in most cellphones is that the keys are just too small. It's very easy to press two or more keys simultaneously. I find it easier to input words using a touch screen because of the swipe feature and predictive text function.

18. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I had the original Motorola Droid with the slide out keyboard when it first came out a few years ago. I almost never used the keyboard because it was so awful. Plus it just bulked up the phone and made it heavier. I very seldom type anything on my phone to begin with, so I found no use for a dedicated physical keyboard. Plus there are a variety of on screen keyboards to choose from nowadays, to find the one that best fits you. The slightest differences in spacing and margins between keys can make a pretty big difference in how easily you can type on it.

19. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I made the switch to a smartphone, I got one with a physical keyboard. I really like it. I have gotten used to the touch keyboard. It's definitely an art. I text a lot so I will stick with the qwerty keyboard. The thickness of the phone doesn't bother me.

20. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I wish that the qwerty types of phones would become popular again, because they're really decreasing in number as time passes. Nowadays all models are mostly touch screen phones. But to be fair, their specs are much faster as compared to older phones, like for more or less $150 you get a 1 ghz processor.