Do you prefer to cook rather than eat out?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by sarz • Mar 5, 2014.

?

Do you prefer to cook or eat out?

1. Eat Out

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. Cook

7 vote(s)
    87.5%
  1. sarz

sarzActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer to cook than to eat out because I think there is nothing better than a home cooked meal. It's also usually healthier. However when I am on my own, The House is all tidy and the sink is dish free. I often feel like theres no point in going through all that effort and making all that mess just for one person.

Not only that but sometimes I find its more expensive for me to go out and buy all the ingredients for a nice meal then it is to order one.
    I then end up opting for a take away and stuffing my face for the most part full of rubbish. Cheaper it may be heathier it is not. After a while the junk takes effect and I feel like rubbish and my skin suffers so I go back to healthy eating and have a steam.

Do you prefer to cook, if not why and when you have too much junk like me do you feel the affects?

Or do you have no junk at all, how did you manage to cut it out of ypur diet and how do you resist temptation?

2. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    I enjoy eating out once in a while. It is like a treat, something different, but that is all it is. It shouldn't be an everyday thing because it is generally unhealthy, huge in portions, and expensive. I can easily make 2-3 meals with what me and my husband would pay for one dish at a sit down restaurant. We have some junk, again, as a treat. 6 days out of the week we eat protein, healthy carbs (oatmeal/beans/brown rice), and veggies. During that last day we may eat pizza, or hamburgers, or have a candy bar or donut, a nice treat for our hard work.

3. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I eat out every day because my dad hates it when people use the kitchen. I live with him as I am his carer and he doesn't mind me using the kitchen to make his food, but he moans, grumbles and complains if I make something myself so I pretty much live on takeaways. I would say I have no idea why he is like this as I do the cleaning and washing up as he is in a wheelchair, but I'm afraid I do. 25 years ago I burnt some toast and he has not let me forget it, my dad knows how to hold a grudge!

4. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I prefer eating out because these says there's so many choices here in my area that I can eat out everyday without getting tired of any particular one because I can go weeks without repeating the same restaurant or orders. Also, as much as I enjoy cooking, it is very tiring and having to do a lot of dishes afterwards doesn't help the cause either. On top of all that, I don't have to spend that much to buy food from restaurants either because prices are all fair so considering I am saving on gas, oil, soap, and effort, I think it's a fair trade off.

5. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I enjoy cooking a lot, so I don't really consider it much of a chore or a tedious task at all. If there are things I can make at home and better, then almost always I will opt to cook it myself vs. going out for food. But if I am craving something that would either be too expensive to make at home, or I cannot seem to make well myself, or if it requires some equipment I don't have, then I will go out for food.

I don't have a deep fryer for example, and wouldn't want to be bothered buying all the oil to use it, so when I am craving something like a basket of battered and fried vegetables, I will order them at a restaurant instead. Same would go for some slow smoked BBQ meats, if I want the real deal, I will get it from a restaurant that specializes in it. Even Chinese food, by the time I go out and buy all the sauces and other ingredients to make something like a kung pao shrimp, I could easily blow like $30+, vs. just ordering it takeout for like $7.

6. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer to cook my meals. I lovvvve cooking. I don't trust restaurants and will never know 100% what's in my food or if it's even clean or fresh, so I just can't eat out anymore unless we're out and unable to get home for whatever reason. We have a big trip coming up and I'll have to eat on the road for at least a week.. not looking forward to it lol.

I cut all junk out of my diet (by junk, I mean obvious junk.. but also all highly processed foods). It's hard for everyone because they give up. They don't allow their taste buds to change and they believe they're depriving themselves (eating the typical diet is what is actually restrictive and depriving you). Also, "cheat days" aren't cheat days, they're sabotage days. Taste buds will never change at that rate, nor will your mindset. If you think you're depriving yourself, it's going to be torture and it will never stick. If people would just learn to appreciate real food and what the other stuff is ACTUALLY doing to their bodies.. if they gave their taste buds enough time, it becomes easy. When you're no longer addicted, it's like breathing again.

7. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I prefer to cook than eat out. I love to cook so cooking isn't a chore for me, I find it really enjoyable. I spend my free time looking up recipes. I find cooking at home is healthier and money saving. I'm a fairly good cook so I know I can almost make restaurant quality food for my family. I have a hard time justifying paying $100 for a meal out that I can make at home for under $20. I'm always looking for inexpensive budget friendly family meals. My kids don't mind and when we do go out it's a real treat for the whole family.

8. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love both cooking and eating out. Eating out is fun, cooking is generally cheaper and allows you to be creative. So, it is one of the things that I do enjoy. I am usually just cooking for me, so it is sometimes more practical to eat out. However, I know that I can cook if I need to, so it is a win win for me. It is also fun to try restaurant copy cat dishes at home, so you can get some of the same eating out tastes at home.

9. TheLovingLeah

TheLovingLeahActive Member

Threads:
    I love both of them! But I do prefer cooking over eating out. It is SO fun to cook stuff. I love doing it; it makes me happy to do it. I don't like to just throw stuff in the microwave. I LOVE to cook. I love to also see what my family thinks of it. But I do eat out as well; sometimes I crave some fast food. I prefer cooking over any other method though.

10. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I enjoy both, but I just happen to cook more because it's more economical to make some burgers than to spend $14 for two burger combo meals at a fast food place. Plus, at home I am sure that my burger is 100% free of fast food employee spit.

11. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    Eating out is something that I prefer more just because it is easier. All I need to do is pay for the food and then sit down for a good meal. Cooking at home is a great option only if you have the time. Most of the time if I am eating at home then it is from something I bought.

12. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I want both - cooking at home and eating out. Once a week, at the least, we eat out or order for delivery. It is not really a matter of spending or saving, our priority is to eat what we want. Like the pizza, we never bake pizza and our only choice is to order or dine out. But with native foods particularly vegetable dishes, it is better to cook for we are assured of the freshness. But I admit that sometimes we dine out because of the discount coupons that we have.

13. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I suppose the reason why some people like eating out is because they can't cook a delicious meal but anyone can be a good cook. The more you do it the better you get to be.

I like cooking and I happen to a really good cook so I always prefer to make most of my meals. Only occasionally when I don't feel like cooking [it rarely happens] that's when I'll eat out. It could be once in like say three months.

14. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do not know how to cook, so I just buy food. I know buying food is more costly than eating out, but as of now that's the only choice I have.

15. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like a mix of both, but I lean more towards cooking at home. It's a hassle sometimes, but at least this way i'm saving my precious money and I know exactly what's gone in my food. It's especially important to me, because the older I get, the more seriously I'm taking what goes into my body. I don't think it's healthy to rely too heavily on take out. It's nice to do it as a treat, once in a while. So we tend to go out eating with friends maybe one or twice a month, and the same goes for getting take out for just us at home.

16. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    Eating out on occasion is nice, mostly because then I do not have to wash the dishes afterwards! (I really despise washing the dishes.) I also like to go out to eat for a change of pace, a change of scenery, and I can relax easier while eating out because I do not have to worry about putting the leftovers away or cleaning the kitchen afterwards. I feel less rushed while going out to eat.

Having said all of that, in order to save money, I prefer to cook at home. I really enjoy cooking, just not the clean up part! Cooking at home can be healthier than eating out, and you can usually make the same meal you would order out for a fraction of the price it costs at a restaurant. I also love the challenge of coming up with new recipes to try, and meal planning for the week to include frugal meal items but making sure it's something everyone in the family will enjoy eating. Being a home cook really can be rewarding! Seeing other people enjoy the meal you created can be a really great experience.

17. atlmom5

atlmom5Active Member

Threads:
    I like both, but I really enjoy cooking and baking at home. There's nothing like a good home cooked meal and not to mention it saves you lots of money in the long run, however, sometimes I want to treat myself and the family to a great meal out.

18. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer to cook, because it is much cheaper than eating out. Although I do like to eat out sometimes as a special treat, it is always much more sensible option to cook whenever you can, as it means that you will save a lot of money. If you will eat out though, make sure you find somewhere that is reasonably priced, and always do your best to find discounts for places that you eat out at a lot. This is something that will be very helpful indeed for you in the future!