Do You Prefer To Travel On Your Own Or With Others?

Discussion in Travel started by DonnaIReilly • May 19, 2014.

1. DonnaIReilly

DonnaIReillyActive Member

Threads:
    I am just wondering if you prefer to travel on your own or with friends.

2. malia

maliaMember

Threads:
    I definitely prefer to travel with friends. Friends make the "going" part of the trip a lot faster and a lot less boring! Also, there nothing to be scared of because if you get lost, at least your lost with a friend! :)

3. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    I never used to travel with others apart from my husband in the past or on my own.

But today I don't have any choice. Whenever I'm travelling I will be going with two other people and they are my husband and my baby girl :D

4. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer to travel with other people be it friends or family. I think a trip is much more enjoyable when there are people to enjoy it with you. For starters, we can look out for each other's back. If something happens there will be others with you that can help. I used to think that travelling alone is better but I found out that it's actually quite boring. Not to say that alone is bad or anything, both have their pros and cons, it's just that for me travelling in groups is better.

5. nailadmoh

nailadmohNew Member

Threads:
    I don't travel alone,,, because it seems to me that I am lonely when I traveled alone. I love going to places and adventures with friends Because their fun and happiness when your with friends.. I agree with you malia... :rolleyes:

6. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    When I was younger I used to travel all alone. As I grew older, and people got cars, I found that it's a lot cheaper to take a group of friends, split the gas cost and travel together. If you're traveling with good people the whole experience is more fun! Sure, there are instances when I wish I was traveling alone - that one time when my friends insisted to bring the dog with them comes to mind. That experience was awful.

7. kingusama92

kingusama92Active Member

Threads:
    There is a sense of adventure when it comes to travelling alone, but that can fade away really quickly. I would rather go with someone or a group of people in order to enjoy the experience a little bit better.

It is different when you have someone to enjoy the moment with. You are able to get more out of the entire experience that might not be possible when you are alone. BUT, being alone also has its perks such as you can do whatever you want.

8. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    It will depend on the type of journey. But generally I would love to travel with friends so that I do not get bored on the way. Sometimes it is good to have a friend who you can talk about anything rather than someone who you just met and you are trying to have some small talk.

9. Gusten

GustenNew Member

Threads:
    For me it depends entirely on where you're heading! If you're just gonna spend a few days in a big city, I find being alone works just as well as being with friends. However, if I'm off to some exotic location where I'll spend two weeks tanning and swimming in the ocean I find that it is far more enjoyable with at least one more person to accompany you.

10. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I travel with both, depending on my mood. I enjoy both. Traveling alone is different when traveling with friends. Travelling alone is like finding again yourself. I get to think a lot when I do this, come up with realizations and the better me. It's like a retreat. When I travel with my friends, that's a real time for fun.

11. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A long time ago when I was young and thought that my friends liked me because I was a good friend, I used to travel with friends and had a lot of fun together. But when I had to quit my job and as a result started making less money, the friends began to drift away. Soon no one was calling anymore and I realized they thought I'd want to borrow money from them. If you were me, and you'd gradually worked your way up, would you want such friends [who abandoned you when you needed them most] around you?

It's for that reason these days, I care not for friends and would rather do all my stuff alone. When I travel I do it alone.

12. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    I would prefer traveling with a very close companion such as my spouse and my children. Traveling out of the country is something I don't experience often and so I want someone to enjoy seeing other locations with me. If the destination is an exotic location, I choose to travel with a close friend or spouse for safety.

If I can only choose between traveling alone and going with people whom I'm not very acquainted with, I would rather travel alone and write about my own adventures. Lone travel has its own appeal; but it's more for personal enlightenment and I would only travel alone if it's a place I've been to before.

13. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    Sometimes I like travelling with friends, but I also like to absolute freedom that comes with travelling alone. There is no argument about what to do or where to go, you can just explore on your own. The company is certainly a bonus, and I find the best of both worlds is where you travel in a very small group or as a couple.

14. Jrh2

Jrh2Member

Threads:
    I would never feel comfortable travelling alone as it would be an unknown place and a little scary if you don't know your way around and don't have anyone to help or talk to whilst on travels. Whenever I go away with my mum she won't even go away with just the two of us as she feels safer with three of us going so my anty always comes too.

15. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    I've traveled so many times in the past on my own and I really enjoyed it. I enjoyed the adventure of discovering a new place by yourself and not having someone to rely on. Of course, you feel lonely at time, especially when you see big groups of travelers, but I find it so peaceful when I do travel alone. The experience is totally different and you get to do what you like to do, without following other people's schedule.

16. bmatth1045

bmatth1045New Member

Threads:
    I actually like traveling alone. other people traveling alone are more likely to to sit and chat with you. when I was in belize I had a lady who latched on to me and we enjoyed several afternoons together but I was free to do what I wanted the rest of the time. that the main reason I like to go alone is you can see and do what ever you want. I was married for 32 years and my wife could go to all these gorgous places and lay in a chair for days.

17. davbopol13

davbopol13Active Member

Threads:
    It is so difficult to travel with others! My husband and I are considering maybe joining up with other couples when we begin Rv'ing. They say that is the best way so you don't get as bored with the camp grounds, we may try it.

18. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think I'm able to enjoy both, but I'd much prefer travelling with friends. It's much more enjoyable to have someone to make plans with and to have someone to talk to at night when in your hotel room. Also, it allows for more varieties to order at restaurants because you would have someone to share with so you won't end up having to limit your orders to just the amount one person can finish. That said, travelling alone also has its advantages, such as not having to confirm with anybody concerning every minor detail of your plan, and I find that when you don't bring your friends with you then you are more forcefully taken out of your comfort zone and therefore more able to take in the new environment and culture.

19. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I've never traveled my myself but I know of many people who have and I say if they're up for it then more power to them. Personally I would be worried about safety and being lonely but it may not be so bad if I was going on a singles cruise or something. Plus I'm more introverted and I may be more reluctant to buddy up to strangers while traveling but if I were more outgoing than may be more up to traveling alone.

20. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Absolutely travel with friends and family. Almost any time I travel, it's to go on some sort of vacation and that wouldn't be nearly as fun without having people I have a good time with around. Also, it's just better to travel with someone to watch out for you, for safety purposes and split up the driving costs, etc. It would be sort of interesting to try traveling alone and seeing what that experience would be like.