Do You Re-use Tea Bags?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Diane Lane • Apr 14, 2015.

1. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I know this is a hot button issue for some. I never thought I would re-use teabags, but I do sometimes. For me, it's not so much about cost, although, of course, that's always a factor these days, but it's more about the level of caffeine, and how strong I like my tea.

I drink my tea lighter than I used to, so it's not as strong, and is less acidic. I dip it briefly, then pull it out and set it aside. I drink several cups a day, so it's not as if the bag sits for days or weeks. I re-use it the same day, and I've found the decreased acidity and caffeine are better for my stomach and health issues.

I do buy decaffeinated tea most of the time (naturally decaf, not chemically decaffeinated), but there is still some caffeine in it, which I try to avoid nowadays, so the first cup always has more caffeine, then the 2nd and/or 3rd, which I'm drinking later in the day, and closer to bedtime, have less.

2. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do reuse teabags because some tea is kind of expensive and I hate to waste anything. I don't especially set out to make weaker tea, I'm just trying to get one more cup out of that bag before I toss it.

3. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I don't. However I mainly just make iced tea, with my electric iced tea maker. Since I can get like 6 gallons of tea out of one box, which is only about $1.50 at the dollar stores, I don't really see much benefit in hanging on to those three tea bags I use to brew each pitcher.

I tried re-brewing the tea twice through the teabags, but did not like the resulting flavor at all. The problem was, I had a Hamilton Beach tea maker which would sometimes brew the tea really weak (it was really picky about how you placed the teabags in the basket) so I poured the brewed tea back into the machine and brewed it back through the teabags a second time, whenever it was really weak. It very noticeably changed the flavor of the tea though, giving it a chalky bitter taste and a cloudy appearance.

When I used to work as a server though, many guests would ask to keep their tea bags though, instead of paying for another cup of tea each time - which we had to charge them for. In that case I could see where it would make sense to re-use the tea bag.

4. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I reuse them all the time. All. The. Time. I don't just use a used tea bag however. I usually just add one that I used before to a new one. Hoping to maximize the flavour. I can't say it works as well as I believe it to work but it's become habit.

5. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I re-use tea bags two more times after the first use. I do this simply because it's economical. Besides, I'm more of a coffee and soda person so I don't regularly drink traditional tea unless I'm in the mood for it. If you boil the tea bags on your next use, they would be just as effective the first time around.

6. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    I do re use the tea bags, but only once or twice. It starts to lose potency after the third re-dip.

7. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I will re-use herbal tea bags, and that is it? The onyl reason that I drink herbal teas, in the first place, is because of health issues. They taste absolutely bland and if it were not for the packaging, I would think that they were all the same flavor. having said that, when I am ill, I like to drink and drink and drink them. This uses up a lot of the tea bags, and so I tend to get at least two to three cups out of one tea bag.

8. TommyVercetti

TommyVercettiActive Member

Threads:
    Yes. For more tea, and also for other things like cleaning the fridge, my brass decorations, and so on. My wife uses used teabags for her eye bags. If I use it for more tea, I can get a few more cups out of it, without its flavors being diluted.

9. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I’m pretty much the same. I want to get the most out of my tea bags, especially when my European friends send me tea. I never know if I’ll get to drink certain flavors again. Also, it’s a good way for me to ensure I’m drinking enough fluids daily. Plus sometimes I'll keep certain tea bags like chamomile to place over my eyes once they've cooled off.

10. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I usually just use two tea bags and try and drink around 3 mugs so this way the last one wouldn't be too weak and I still get around 1.5 use of each bag as opposed to just throwing it out after one use. If I don't feel like drinking too much tea I'd just use one and use it two times because most of the time I'm just after the warmth rather than the flavor anyway.

11. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:

You take your tea like my mum-in-law! No, I don't re-use tea-babes because I really like my tea very strong and milky. I pour in the water and let it stew for a good two-three minutes. This is the reason why I hate other people making me a cuppa because it usually comes out looking and tasting like dishwater LOL My husband seems to be the only person who makes just right, maybe because he likes it that way too. I only have it in the early evening, to unwind after a long day.

12. tipoywizard

tipoywizardActive Member

Threads:
    I do reuse teabags. Nowadays the price of my favorite brand of tea has gone high so I think It is just economical to reuse teabags as long as they are kept in a clean and safe environment.

13. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to put milk in my tea, too. I grew up watching my Nana add milk, then she'd slosh some of the tea into her saucer and drink it. I'm smiling, just picturing her doing that. I think the companies are putting less tea or less potent tea in the bags, so I don't usually add the milk nowadays, but next time I get a particularly strong cup, I might add some :).

14. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Sometimes I do.

If I make multiple cups of tea within the same day while at work and don't immediately throw out the bag, then I may use it again.

I have re-used the same set when making pitchers of iced tea back to back, too.

I'm not the type to save and refrigerate the bags in order to extend their life across multiple days, though. That's just not for me.

15. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love your username. I'm more of a Trevor Phillips fan myself but I appreciate the Grand Theft Auto reference. Tommy Vercetti would probably shoot up the whole store and take ALL the teabags, rather than reuse a teabag.

16. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I used to add almond milk to my tea. When I'm in a place where I'm stretching my dollars I try to avoid that move. Let the water do the work that it was meant to. However, I just can't avoid it when it comes to Chai. Must...use...almond...milk...

17. TommyVercetti

TommyVercettiActive Member

Threads:
    I'm a pc guy so I probably won't meet mr. Phillips himself for another couple of days. Downloading a digital copy on my barely decent connection is an exercise in suffering. Can you believe how big the game is? Almost 100GB, sheesh...

18. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    I've never even thought about re-using teabags. Maybe I'm missing a trick. For me it's always been the type of thing that you use once and 'should' throw away. That said, I did used to keep teabags and re-use to put on my puffy eyes. It was actually very good. I'm not sure whether I will re-use for drinking purposes but maybe instead for cosmetic health purposes.

19. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You know Diane Lane, I'm inclined to agree with you there! I absolutely believe that these companies are doing exactly that. One such example is rooibos (redbush) tea, which used to be one of my favourites. It used to be so strong and lovely, now it just tastes like coloured water, I can barely taste any flavour. It also used to have a gorgeous aroma, now there's none whatsoever! They're obviously cutting corners!

20. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I do re-use my tea bags. Well, at least some of the time. I only drink the herbal teas. Caffeine is not necessary for me to have plenty of energy to get me started in the morning or on through the day. The herbal teas are often not all that strong in flavor to start with, though, so when I re-use I usually re-use two bags at once. And only one time.
    I prefer, though, to use my own herbs (mint especially) in loose form so I rarely have anything to re-use unless I'm drinking chamomile. Occasionally, too, I like the rooibos tea that Lushlala mentioned. It has a really good flavor and, as far as I can tell, quite a lot of it. I can't say I've noticed any decrease in the flavor or aroma, but I don't get it all that often so maybe I wouldn't notice.