Do You Recommend Wooden Or Plastic Clothes Pins?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Diane Lane • Jun 9, 2015.

1. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Growing up, we often used a clothes line, even though we eventually got a dryer. I want to start using a clothes line out back, instead of using my dryer, to save a little money, but I need to buy clothes pins first. I figured this would be a good place to ask opinions on whether wooden or plastic (or something else?) clothes pins are better for the clothes, and sturdier. I don't want to keep having to replace them, so I'd prefer to ask first, and then buy whichever is preferred by the majority.

2. kristin

kristinNew Member

Threads:
    I think the main issue would be that they are stored properly. I have seen many people leave the clothespins out in the elements which is really bad for them. I would choose wood. Ideally clothes will be in the sun and the sun is really bad for plastic. It will crack and break them. Wood of course does not do well with a lot of water but obviously clothes will not be on the clothesline in the rain. Cheers to using your clothesline. I wish I had one. It will not only save on the energy not used by the dryer but your place will be cooler too. I do not like heating my house in the summer when I dry clothes.

3. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I prefer plastic because I don't like the fact that wood absorbs water so I would worry about them taking in germs. I just don't like that it gets damp each time i use it and I would rather just use something that easily dries off. I know it's just me overthinking but since plastic is available already I just choose to go with that instead.

4. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always left my clothespins out on the clothesline because it was much handier that way when you go to hang up the clothes. I have had both the plastic ones and the plain wooden ones. The plastic will eventually break as they get brittle; but they withstand the rain fine, and actually, they last a good long time.
    I think the wooden ones might be cheaper; but the last ones that I got were from the dollar store, and they were super flimsy , plus they just fell apart very easy. You can actually put them back together again when they come apart, but it is not easy to do, andit is a real nuisance.
    I think that clothespins are cheap enough that you can just get whichever ones you prefer, and not worry about having to replace them when you need to do so. Just make sure that they look sturdy enought hat they won't come apart all the time when you pin them, like mine did.

5. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer the wooden ones, though I rarely use any clothes pins. I find that either way they leave grip marks on my clothes, so I just hang them over the line about the middle of the garment and the fold mark seems to hang out much better when I hang them up.

The dollar store ones are not too hard to put back together if you look at another one and figure out how the pieces go.

6. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I’ve used both and it sort of depends. Wood is great when the weather’s dry, but humidity calls for plastic. Problem is, I’ve found that plastic clothespins tend to break much easier. So I suppose I lean slightly toward wood.

7. Diane Lane

Threads:
    Thanks, Y'all, what a great amount of feedback! I also tend to favor wood, since that's what I grew up using, although I've used a few plastic ones, also. It is humid here, so the wood ones might not last as long, but I think I'd just prefer to use those. If the fabric is particularly delicate, or the garment is extra nice, I might do as @DancingLady@DancingLady recommended, and simply hang the item over the clothesline.

I think I might actually buy a new clothesline, too, because the sisal might be too thick, and might also have an odor, which I remembered from when I was repairing the cat scratchers. Some sisal has a stronger (petroleum-type) odor, but I'm sure I can find a cheap clothesline somewhere, and I'll leave the sisal line up for the bird feeders, since the birds don't seem to mind the smell.

8. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use a mix of mix, although i'd say the plastic ones have an edge. They seem to last longer for me, but both of them work as well as each other. I think because sometimes it gets humid here, the wooden ones just fall apart and the wood deteriorates :(

9. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    From past experiences, I use both plastic pins for lighter fabrics and wooden pins for the heavier fabrics. As others have stated keeping both in a weather resistant bag or container helps them last longer.

I bought my wooden clothes pins at an estate sale and still have them. The plastic pins are a different story I stopped using them on heavier fabrics because they would always break apart.

I use plastic hangers as well for blouses and shirts. They save space and dry faster.

10. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I do not use clothes pins as they were intended. We like to put up string in my daughter's room on the ceiling and then use the pins to hang her artwork. I like to use good old fashioned wooden pins. They are great for crafting with as well.

11. Diane Lane

Threads:
    @MrsJones@MrsJones That's a good point, I need to set aside some hangers and put them downstairs in the laundry room for that purpose. I just donated a ton of them, but hopefully have some empty ones leftover.

@Rosyrain@Rosyrain That's so sweet, do you use the ones that just slide over, or the ones that actually clip? You just gave me an idea of how to hang my items if I participate in a craft fair. I think I'll look for some of the tiny-small plastic clips for hanging my jewelry at fairs. I don't currently participate in the fairs, but have discussed pairing up with a friend to do some in the future.

12. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I love using my clothesline though we're getting so much rain where I'm at right now that I've not been able to very much in awhile. And clothespins are a sore subject with me sometimes. It just irritates me that so many things that used to be good and last a long time don't anymore. Clothespins are one of those things. The plastic ones are the worst for breaking and the wooden ones aren't well made anymore either.
    Either way they seem to be good for only one season. I have decided not to buy plastic anymore, though. I will stick with the poorly made wooden ones. They may come apart, but at least they don't crumble.
    And, thankfully, neither option costs much.

13. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Plastic ones are better for the climate I am in (UK) as it will always rain! These days plastic ones are cheaper and easy to replace, though they can break but very rarely. Wooden ones can sometimes leave a dent in fine fabrics so I do avoid them, plus I get splinters from them.

Of course once upon a time, there were only wooden ones and the rain would make them moldy, so you would have to dry them out, where plastic ones can dry off easily.

14. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    I use sturdy plastic clothespins. I prefer them for when I may need to rinse them or wipe them clean, it is easier. For me, they are more sensible for during the rainy season. Of course, I try to beat the rain, but the plastic doesn't get waterlogged if they get caught in the rain.

15. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a mixture of both which I have acquired over the years. Someone has already said that what really matters is taking care of the pegs and I'm inclined to agree. They soon break if left out in extreme temperatures or rain, so I always collect them up in a bag (just a plastic carrier bag) after use.

16. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It wood be more economical if manufacturers start producing clothes pins made from tin can or polymer. Plastic clothes pins tend to break easily especially when they're frequently exposed to the sun. On one hand, while wooden clothes pins look more sturdy, they attract termites and other wood-boring insects. We've never used wooden clothes pins before and I certainly would like to try a sturdier product in the future.

17. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Over here, in the UK, we tend to call what you guys refer to as clothes pins pegs. I was playing a find the hidden objects games the other day and I just couldn't seem to find this pesky clothes pin until I used the hint, and it was revealed to me that it was actually just a clothes peg. Either way, I don't mind whether they are wooden or plastic. As long as they get the job done.

But let me add, that - as it is really hot and summery over here at the moment - I was pegging some clothes out on the line just yesterday, and I have actually noticed over the years that wooden pegs do tend to be a lot more sturdy than the plastic ones, depending on what quality plastic ones you buy. The only thing that will really break down the wooden ones is if they get soaked being rained on it seems.

#17Jun 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2015
  18. E.Mil

E.MilMember

Threads:
    When I was growing up we sometimes let our clothes hang on the clothes line. I would have to say wooden clothes pins because that's what I'm used to, my parents never used the plastic ones. The wooden clothes pins also seem to have a good grip to hold onto the clothes.

19. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    As far as both the wooden and plastic ones breaking, I'd say that the plastic ones can be a little bit more hazardous, especially in the cold whether. Something seems to happen to the plastic of the peg, and it seems more likely to snap when you are removing the pegs. The wooden ones can give you splinters. But don't seem nearly as dangerous as the plastic ones.

20. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I grew up helping my mother with the clothes in the clothes line. It was always the wooden clothes pin. But when I had my own family, it seems like the wooden type became extinct. Now it's all plastic clothes pin that I see. Those were the days.