Do You Recycle Makeup?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by ExpertAdvice • Jun 23, 2015.

1. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    So, I've been noticing a strong trend among women who use makeup and are concerned about playing their part in preserving the environment, rather than adding to its destruction.

It's called "recycling makeup"...

Now, I decided to do a little research into it, because at first glance, this whole concept struck me as possibly unsafe, as I thought to myself, "Hmmm...does that mean that they're going to be using makeup that other people have already used?!"

Well, it doesn't appear to be that way, as far as I can see.

What it seems to be is that users of makeup who have exhausted their use of their makeup and do not wish to just throw the old containers away, thoroughly clean out the containers and contact their makeup provider to see if they "refill" them.

I find this concept to be a positive idea, and I think it could not only save the environment, but save money, because I'm sure that by doing this, it means you're not paying as much as you would have for the same makeup, if you had bought it "brand new".

So, do you or anyone you know, practice this? Is it an effective way to save?

[​IMG]

2. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I’ve never thought of this. I know certain brands have programs where you bring in your empty containers, they’ll recycle them for you and you can get free stuff in return, but I wasn’t aware you could possibly have your old containers refilled. That’s pretty awesome. I always feel kind of weird about throwing containers out, so perhaps this is something I’ll take advantage of.

3. danielle davidson

danielle davidsonActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I had never thought about doing this either. I'm sure that it would be a good thing to do though, and it would be much better than just throwing the whole container in the trash. Plus, it would be a lot better than just going out and buying a whole bottle on makeup. I might have to look into this and see if there is a place where I can get this done around me.

4. CoolCat

CoolCatMember

Threads:
    I hadn't heard of it before. While I do wear makeup, I don't wear very much and I'm not sure I've ever actually run out of anything. (Aside from mascara, everything I use is powder. I am more likely to decide to try something new before I'm halfway through a container than to actually use it all up.)

Are there any manufacturers that are doing this, or are people just trying to get a grassroots movement going? Honestly, I'm not sure that the environmental impact of trucking the containers back across the country to the plant, cleaning and sanitizing them, and refilling them is any better than just throwing them out, especially since some of the containers sent back are likely to be damaged slightly and not suitable for refill.

5. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I don't really use makeup except on grand occasions like weddings and formal gatherings. But my sister is adept in that department. She actually asks for old makeups brought by our visiting relatives from abroad and her reason was those relatives have money to buy and it is their honor that my sister would covet their used makeup. It is a gimmick that would always give us laughter.

6. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Wow, that sounds like a fab idea, one I didn't even know existed. This would be a good way to do my little bit towards saving the planet. But the only snag I can see is if there's postage to be paid each time you sent your containers to be re-filled :(

7. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    That is a good way that helps the company and the consumer. It cuts back on packaging while the company can use contact information to send promotional products. Does anyone know offhand which companies do this?

8. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also really like the concept and would be interested to see which companies actually do this, because if they are a reputable company and have any products I can use I'd be more than willing to do my little bit for the environment. Well, as long as the products are not over the top expensive!

9. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm pretty sure that the Body Shop used to do something similar to this years back but I couldn't say whether they still do. It's a good idea in principle but it wouldn't be very profitable for the companies concerned so I doubt we'll see many of these schemes at all.

10. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Having worked for several companies this wouldn't work for many reasons. The Body Shop used to do this, but refilling plastic bottles can be dangerous due to contamination. Basically people can sue for reactions and if a container has not been sterilized then a company will not be liable.

Even when people used to ask for a sample and they bring their own jar to the counter, it is refused because if the jar is contaminated, then it may affect the product and thus the company may be blamed.

What they could do is give a discount for containers that are brought back to be recycled, but people should be doing that anyhow. Instead, companies have loyalty clubs where they offer samples instead which people prefer.