Do You Remember When Mtv Was About Music?

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by jneanz • Sep 1, 2015.

1. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    I'm old but I like some of today's music but hate the pop-tart politics and culture that has permeated the media. It's like a wet rub made with only vinegar and burnt garlic. Anyway, I want to see the 2015 Awards show but I'm really turned off by the soap opera antics of these so-called performers.

I can remember many years ago when Prince showed his butt cheeks in those pants and Marilyn Manson did something similar years later. Though it was for show, there were still decent performances. However, it feels funny to not see the Beastie Boys for years now (RIP MCA).

2. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree with your observation that mtv is not a bit different unlike when they first came about on tv. The olden mtvs were all about the song that normally features the singer or peforming band. But now, mtv is getting to be a means of expression. It is okay if the expression is on the positive but it is more on the negative of it like what you mentioned about Prince's butt.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I loved MTV, but back then there was no internet and to keep going they had to develop other shows. These days people can create their own shows with YouTube, so these performers are looking for ways to get extra publicity whether it's what they wear, who they kiss or anything else that will make the headlines.

That's the industry, people look for the gossip and scandal. Sad really, but it's human nature.

4. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Remember their first video ever? Video Killed the Radio Star! :)

This is the intro.. the play list of first videos follows.

5. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    Yes!! I remember getting up early in the morning just to watch the music videos. It was a nice way to spend my morning workout on the treadmill because it made time go by so fast! But unfortunately now it's all reality TV shows (which sucks). Rumors have it MTV actually still play music videos but it's usually in the dead of night or super super early in the morning.

6. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah I agree. I don't really like a lot of today's music but still it's good to have the music on the channel provided there is variety. I appreciate the variety of choices we have in music because it means something to someone. I suppose if people want those reality shows (to each their own) then they could have them on but as a low priority. If I turn onto a channel that stands for Music Television, I expect to see music videos or shows. Maybe they could switch and have those reality shows on late at night.

I feel like the award shows aren't what they used to be. Personally I did not mind Miley even when she had that unappealing weird thing about weed at the end but they really didn't give that many awards out. Some of the awards they showed briefly in the preshow but some they did not have at all. Also I know that some people like her and that's fine but does Taylor really have to be given two or three awards in one show? It's even more stupid considering she makes that surprised face every time. I just wish that there was more variety like I said in my earlier paragraph. It's always the same people winning which makes you wonder if it's true that they rig those things. I got enjoyment out of the Kanye rant because my mom and I had it muted so we went spent however long it was making fun of him. You should try watching people like Kanye with no sound sometime. It's a hilarious party. Even though I got enjoyment out of it, that's obviously not what the award show is for. They did show him more than they needed to. I'm sure he wasn't supposed to talk that long but they let him anyway.

7. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    I sure do! I even remember having the VCR ready to tape the video's I liked.
    But I understand why they changed their format.
    You can get all the music and videos you want from the internet, it's really hard to compete with that.
    Plus some cable providers give you a tonne of just music channels.
    I think they had to do something different or risk going out of business.

8. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've given up on mtv a long time ago. I just got tired of all that homogenized chitchat and the banality of it all. These days I don't watch any music programs at all anymore. In fact, I don't watch television or shows on the internet either. No, that's not quite true, I do occasionally watch old re-runs of some of my favorite old sketch shows. But that's about it.

9. shoptodrop

shoptodropActive Member

Threads:
    I remember that and I grew up in the 90's. It didn't stay that way for very long sadly. And they played all the good classic music and had TRL. I loved that show. But now it's all fake "reality" shows and all this other stuff, and a milion commercials. I haven't watched MTV in so long because they have the worst shows. Horrible for the youth and anybody really. Like Jersey Shore, etc. I find TV in general as filth so I got rid of cable a couple of years ago. I might use Netflix here and there, but that's about it. And even on there I don't like watching TV shows. Why pay for cable when all their shows are terrible anyway? I'm glad I got rid of it. I barely have time to watch TV if I even wanted to anyway.

10. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If it weren't in demand, they'd air less trash and more music again. Since music is available everywhere, it's more profitable to give the people what they can't get wherever they turn (aside from their own dramatic lives they're completely bored with lol). Times have changed drastically.. people are all about the drama.