Do you rent or buy video games ?

Discussion in Mobile Apps & Games started by Scottie • Mar 20, 2014.

1. Scottie

ScottieMember

Threads:
    I was thinking about this and realized that it's best to rent video games as opposed to buying them. Why ? Well first of all, once you beat a game you already know the story and whatnot, and it can get really boring, it will most likely collect dust afterwards, and you'll never play it again. At least that's the case for me. The only exception I can think of is sports games or really fun online games like GTA IV. The game always changes and there always something new to discover online. However besides that, most action games can get repetitive.

Do you rent games or buy them or do both ?

2. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    I only buy them because there's no way to rent PC games but it would be nice too. I used to rent games all the time when I played N64 and that was when Blockbuster was still around. I would save a lot of money if I rented games first instead of buying them because I thought it would be good.

3. tinyfang

tinyfangMember

Threads:
    The last time I rented a video game was for my Super Nintendo back in the early 1990's. So since then, I always bought my games. Also, I make sure the games I buy has replay value or if not, they are cheap enough to justify the cost of a one-time play.

4. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I buy all my games, never rented. With all the sales we get these days I see no point in renting and if I'm not paying the full price I can afford to open my wallet. It's not like I can't see how the game plays with all the Youtube videos and gaming outlets. Sure, I have to wait a few days to take a good look at the game but it's worth it, saved me a lot of money. But for short games that you'd try but don't want to buy, I agree, renting is the way to go.

5. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    I used to only buy or preorder new games, but I only buy preowned games these days. I like to invest in some things I buy, but games aren't partiularly good at retaining their value. Only certain games such as black ops and modern warefare do, and some other MMO games.

I have an xbox360 and the games have devalued a lot sine the Xbox one came out. The good news for me is I can get some really great preowned games for the 360 very cheap now. Also, places like game tend to clean the discs before reselling them, taking out most scratches from the disc if they have any, or you can get them done yourself for as little as £1 each.

6. Fdot

FdotNew Member

Threads:
    I really should rent more games. With me, the case with most games is that I buy them and play them for about 2 months before getting bored. The game then just sits there in my room gathering dust... If I were to rent them then this wouldn't be an issue, however I've always liked the option of being able to come back to the game at any time. With renting you can't do this, but is definitely a much cheaper alternative.

7. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I buy used games because in some cases you can get a game used for almost as cheap as renting it, depending on how old/popular the game is. I collect video games and consoles. I've gotten rid of all my other collections on ebay, like some of my music stuff. Video games are the one thing I actually want to keep collecting and playing as a hobby.

8. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    There is no renting service here where I live so I have no choice but to buy them. What I do to get back some money is to sell off the games that I don't want to keep to my friends or other people. Another way to save money is that I'll wait for the game to get old so that the price drops before buying the game. Game prices drop quite rapidly so usually it's only a couple of months.

9. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    I use to rent video games but was so long ago when the market for that was a lot better. But there is no place near me that I know of where you can rent anything anymore due to the access of entertainment media over the internet which has relatively killed the rental business. Thus, I just buy my games now and even if I do complete the games and find that I wish not to play them anymore or have no more use for them, I can always have them sold. I'm also more of a person that likes to own things instead of borrow them, anyway.

10. mikerossuk

mikerossukNew Member

Threads:
    I don't do either funnily enough. I like to play free MMO games such as Entropia Universe. I think that it's fantastic, if you don't want to deposit money you can play and earn money in game to use but if you do it opens up more doors more quickly and quite honestly I think more games are going to be going that way in the future such as apps are doing now.

11. pahagwl

pahagwlActive Member

Threads:
    For me, it depends upon the quality of the game. If a game has gotten very good reviews, I try to save up for it and buy it. But if the reviews are not so good, I end up mostly renting it. This is due to the reason that I try to get the most value for my money.

12. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    I like to rent my son games from game fly, It more convenient for me and all he has to do is go on the website and put in his list and they send them out by 5 and he has to do is put them in prepaid letter and send them back and shipping if free.

13. starfox64

starfox64Active Member

Threads:
    I don't buy a game anymore unless I rented it first on either Gamefly or Redbox. There really isn't much of a point of buying an expensive game anymore, unless you know you are going to love it. Consumers just have too many options to try out games. I know that Gamestop tries to give an incentive to pre-order, but for me, I am not going to buy a game unless I've played it a bit.

14. Oakster

OaksterActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on the game, if it's something that you play through once and never touch again, then it's best to rent the games, but if it's something that you keep playing, either over and over or through online multiplayer, the best choice is buying them.

15. dorkz

dorkzNew Member

Threads:
    i prefer rent because its cheap. If yo buy a game its more expensive and the cd is useless after installing .
    Buy game when its have a big size file :D

16. amynichole318

amynichole318Active Member

Threads:
    Right now, I only buy them. However, I am considering joining GameFly during the summer when my kids will have a lot more time to play them. That way, when they get bored, we can just switch them out. I haven't tried it yet so I am not sure if it is as great as I have heard, but I do think my kids will love it.

17. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Some games are only worth renting some games are so well made art that is worth your every penny. As for me, I only rent games that I have little confidence in, for example, when Haze came out I thought it would be an awesome game, tuned out its crap, those games are just for rent, whoever, games like Bioshock Infinite and Uncharted, well, I'd love to be able to show my friends that I own a copy of one the best games in existence.

18. DjoBoy

DjoBoyNew Member

Threads:
    I always buy videogames, I never rented them, because it's currently not possible where I live. If I want to try a videogame, I just download a free demo and play. I also borrow some videogames from my neighbour, so I buy them later if I like them.

19. eagle22

eagle22Active Member

Threads:
    I feel like I am one of the few people that still actually rents video games. I will rent them before I buy them just because I want to make sure they are actually fun before I make the purchase.

20. thephantom638

thephantom638New Member

Threads:
    I prefer to buy my videogames, but sometimes I will tend to rent videogames in order to "have a taste" of what I'm getting into so I know whether or not its a good idea to commit to a certain purchase. That said, the reason why I buy my videogames is mainly so that I can play them whenever I want without having the pressures of a time limit or a deadline, whilst also being able to replay it at will (if there is a New Game+ or DLC released).