Do You Review The Products You Buy?

Discussion in Online Shopping started by beasleym1989 • Mar 2, 2016.

1. beasleym1989

beasleym1989Member

Threads:
    I am just curious to see how people decide what to review. Do you review everything you buy online? Do you just review the products that you were disappointed or in or just the products that you absolutely loved?

I try to review whatever I can, even if I didn't feel very strongly about an item one way or the other. I like to think that my review is helping someone else make their final decision.

2. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I don't generally review, unless I have a particularly strong view on the product. Sometimes I will review on websites where you get loyalty points for each review, but otherwise I will not for most items.

3. beasleym1989

beasleym1989Member

Threads:
    I didn't realize that there were websites that offered loyalty points for reviewing. Do you have any specific ones off the top of your head that you could list? I wonder if it's any of the sites that I already shop with. Are you rewarded by gift cards or entered into drawings of some sort? Thanks in advance for the tip!

4. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have left a review for a product that it was very bad or very good and I would like to spread the word to help other people make an informed decision on whether or not they want to spend money on the item.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most people will write reviews when they don't like something they bought. I'm part of that group, embarrassing though it is to 'fess up. If I like a product then instead of writing a review I'll buy more things from the seller or that store but if I'm dissatisfied with whatever I bought I'll express my dissatisfaction on numerous sites.

IMHO negative reviews are more helpful to buyers since some merchants actually pay people to write positive reviews. They buyers will at least know a product isn't worth buying.

6. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It depends. Half of the time, once I have received the product that I have ordered, I don't write reviews right away. I tend to use the product for at least a month first, to see how it performs over time. I think the mistake that a lot of reviewers make is that they get the product, try it out, and then the product is perfect in their minds and in the review.

7. beasleym1989

beasleym1989Member

Threads:
    That's true. It sometimes take several months of usage before you start to see the flaws in a product and at the point, the idea of reviewing might not even come to your mind anymore. I suppose someone could go back in and edit their initial review, but I doubt a lot of people even think to do that.

8. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    Typically, I do not review any product. I never really think about it. However, if I purchase online and the website sends me a notice to review the product that I purchased, I will review it. Any other time I do not. I will tell my friends or family if I like something or not.

9. DreekLass

Threads:
    I agree, but the sellers might think differently. They would much rather think that the wear and tear of a you using it for a few months is the cause of the product's flaws, when in reality the product just wasn't made to last, or made to keep up optimum performance. I think if someone is dissatisfied enough, the y may go back and write a review. But I know I don't. I usually just want to forget about it, unless I spent a lot of money.

10. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    You only receive emails from sellers if you give them your email address which is something that I don't tend to do often. Businesses that I frequent send me emails a few weeks afterward for a review of the product and I respond at that time. Amazon though not only asks for a review they also send inquiries from others about the products this I don't like. I think that my review should have been enough and those inquiries should be directed to the seller.

11. beasleym1989

beasleym1989Member

Threads:
    None of that is required though. Those are actually automated messages sent from Amazon businesses. They appreciate that you leave a review. Sometimes people ask questions about products to get a customer's perspective as opposed to the seller. The seller wants to sell their product and their replies may be skewed so I like that if I ask a question, it gets sent to people who have actually used the product.

12. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I review everything that I buy from Amazon, because their review system is easy to use, and it doesn't take me very much time to do so. I always make sure that I leave an honest review, too, as this means that people who want to buy the product in the future have a better chance of getting a genuine idea of what they're buying. So yes, I will try to review whenever I can, and I think it is important that people choose to do this.

13. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    That's understandable but shouldn't Amazon asks if would be okay to direct inquiries to you so that you can say no.

14. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm very much like you, @

. I too review most of the stuff I buy, whether I'm crazy about them or not. I also review every single eBook I read, good or bad. I believe it's good to put all reviews out there, to help fellow consumers. I'm actually a member of a couple of non-paying discussions forums that focus on reviewing products, and I learn so much from being on both because these are genuine reviews as none of us being paid. I actually tend to read more of the negative reviews than just the positives, and sometimes even the neutral ones if I want to get a very good feel of people's thoughts on the products.

15. DreekLass

Threads:
    I have only had to contact a seller on Amazon once as of yet, unfortunately. I had to go back and forth with an ebay seller once too, and that was via email, which was quite sly of them thinking back on it. They orchestrated it so that we were corresponding via personal email and not via ebay messages, which get seen and recorded by the Ebay Team. That would have been much safer for me as the customer. Either way I don't mind, as they were very accommodating with the order,

16. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't but I know I should. I've gotten some bad products before and I thought I would leave a review but I spent too much time debating customer service to take my item back that by the end of it I didn't feel much like leaving a review anymore as I was just glad I am getting my money back and that I can move on. I know I really should be leaving more reviews though but I tend to buy things in groups so I'd have to seek out each product and it just makes me feel lazy thinking about it most of the time.

17. DreekLass

Threads:
    I recently had an issue with a product that I ordered from ebay, and the seller ended up sending out the components of the product that were missing after I messaged them about it. They said that they would send the last item when it became available to them again because they were currently out of stock, so I will wait until that shows up to give feedback. If it does not arrive soon though, I will rate them negatively along with giving them a bad review.

18. beasleym1989

beasleym1989Member

Threads:
    If you go to your account settings and then into the message center there is actually an option to turn off notifications such as these. I believe that it will stop sending you requests to answer questions, but I can't be absolutely sure. It might be worth a try if you find them to be a nuisance.

19. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    I have reviewed products that I believe I had not received value for my money or for which the service surrounding its acquisition was poor. I see it as a duty to alert would be buyers of goods and services on the possible difficulties they may face because I have also relied on reviews of other persons in helping to make a decision if whether or not to purchase an item or a service.

20. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I only usually review products that are a bit expensive like cellphones before buying them so that I am assured that I won't waste my money on the item. If the products are cheap then I usually don't bother reviewing them, I just buy them immediately.