Do You "sample Surf" As Supermarkets?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Penny • Jun 30, 2015.

1. Penny

PennyActive Member

Threads:
    I must admit I know all the best days for getting free food samples at the local supermarkets. You can end up having a decent meal if you cruise all the stands, the only problem is resisting actually buying everything. But the odd occasion when I give in and buy the product does mean I am not a complete freeloader! Wholefoods, while being the most expensive to shop at, has the best samples--large and as many as 15 different stands at the same time.

2. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    My friend would often do this at Zoup, it's a soup restaurant that gives out seemingly endless samples of their soups while you are waiting in line - she would have several samples of soup then just order something cheap when she got to the register, lol.

I most often try out the samples when I am at Costco or Sam's Club, because they often give out some pretty big size samples of good stuff. But I try to make sure I walk around before going to the next sample station, so I don't look too greedy, lol.

I used to be a big sucker for the Bourbon Chicken they pass out at Asian Chao in the mall food courts, but I've managed to stay away from the malls lately, and so I'm not tempted to blow money there any more.

3. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I remember doing this when I was younger. It seems like the supermarkets around me have largely stopped offering free samples, though. Maybe they suspected people were trying to get free meals out of the sample stands, haha. I miss it, though. It’s always nice to be able to try before you possibly buy.

4. kjonesm1

kjonesm1Active Member

Threads:
    I dont think anybody in their right mind could hate free samples :D. As a matter of fact just last Sunday my sister was babysitting my kids and admitted they made a lunch out of the free food taste booths. My daughter's were both very excited and even told me they had two different kind of desserts. I like the samples as well because it's a great way to discover new foods I might not have otherwise tried.

5. rightct

rightctActive Member

Threads:
    I've always done that. Every time I'd take a free sample I would take another taste saying to that lady who was presenting me the offer: "Yeah, I must make sure it's indeed good.". I remember that once my stomach turned all around because I ate way too much, haha.

6. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I did this a lot growing up. We would always make sure to get all the samples at Costco anytime we went there. Where I live there are no stores like this and places like Costco ate too far away and not cost effective for a single person. I miss getting samples though, at the same time I often feel bad for taking a sample of something I know in advance I won't buy because it's too expensive even on sale.

7. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sometimes I will try the samples if I think that it is something that i am actually interested in buying and want to see if it is good or not. Otherwise, I just walk on by.
    Of course, some stores put out samples of cheese on toothpicks, and I always have a piece of that, just because I love cheese.
    It might be a flavor/brand that I have not tried before, and I might discover a new cheese that I really like.

8. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Friday is sample day at the local Wegman's. You can go to the store on Friday and stop at all the samples along the way and have a good time sampling all the good things. I have experienced some different and interesting foods by surfing all the samples.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I do it when the store I'm in is a reputable one because for the smaller ones I don't trust them as much with sanitation. I know I'm more likely just being overly paranoid but I'm not too curious anyway so I can just pass them over without much thought. The only things I like to get samples of in stores is coffee or sliced up pastries but for other things like meat products and cheese I tend not to be as trusting.