Do You See A Performance Difference Between Pirated And Original Software?

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by sidney • Apr 30, 2015.

1. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Because if you ask me, most of the pirated cd's that I have has worked smoothly on my pc. Although I do remember having to exchange a game cd-rom (Medal Of Honor) because of "faulty pirating", the ones that were duplicated well ran smoothly on my pc. How about you? Do you notice a performance difference between original and pirated cd sofware?

2. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Negative, no, not really, since even if the crack is wrong, they will eventually fix it and release a working one. I do know about multiple cases where the pirated software actually worked better for the people who stole it than for legitimate customers though, sadly. Especially games, when Ubisoft and EA thought it's a great idea to enforce dumb DRM on their customers.

3. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I had always thought that people with pirated copies were more likely to run into problems. It was true when I had a pirated copy of Windows XP installed on my old desktop computer, and it that is still true for my older sister, who still struggles to dead with her pirated copy of Windows 7. I think that there are still cracks out there, in order to make it look like your copy of windows in genuine, even when it is not. It is just a matter of finding them, and not getting a virus lol.

4. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    This isn't like VHS where copying reduces quality, the digital copies are identical, and I've never known of a case where pirated software is inferior to its legitimate counterpart. I could be proved wrong though.

5. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't pirated that much but when I have the only difference is sometimes they don't supply the right passcodes/cracks and yes you do have to watch out for viruses. On the other hand I bought a pirated DVD not knowing it was pirated until I bought it and a lot of episodes were missing or didn't play right.

6. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    One of the main reasons why I don't pirate certain softwares and such, is because there are no cracks/correct serial numbers to install the software, and activate it after you've downloaded it, which sucks. On top of that - or what is worse than that - is that these pirated softwares are almost always riddles with viruses and malware. There was one instance where I pirated a game, and the developers has seen the pirating coming, and put certain restrictions on the pirated copies, which is pretty smart when you think about it lol.

7. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    I've never seen any difference at all, aside from the rarely problematic installation. All the programs I've used work flawlessly after I manage to make the exploit work.

8. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Pirated software runs exactly like the original software, assuming the copying and cracking have been performed properly. Any performance issues are often related to mistakes in the copying process or even safeguards by the original manufacturer to make pirated copies of software unusable. Companies fight back against piracy, and sometimes they have great methods for ensuring your pirated software runs like crap.

9. teabwoi

teabwoiActive Member

Threads:
    No but I do my best to stay away from it because to many times I have seen people have there computers destroyed by getting technology that way.

10. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not out here to promote piracy but since I admit I've used a few pirated software products in the past, it's hard to tell the difference between an original and a pirated software. Of course, that's only as far as games are concerned. It's better to install an original software for anti-virus because pirated anti-virus software is, for the most part, crappy. It's as if you haven't installed any protection at all. Sometimes, pirated programs carry a lot of viruses with them like Autorun and Trojan. To be safe, buy an original software.

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That is quite common in pirated dvd's, sometimes there is a bit of a defect in the playback, but the blue-ray discs that I bought were defect-free in terms of playback. So I think you should buy the blue-ray discs instead of dvd discs.

12. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't think there's much of a difference between them but non official downloads of the game might entail the user not being able to participate in online matches as well as use any of the downloadable content so even if you get to save a bit I think the experience wouldn't be as full so it might not be worth it. I've heard of some people downloading torrents first just to check out the game then they buy it if they think it's worth buying.

13. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    Recently, I took a college course on Word 2013 and we had to buy the Professional level software. The download I got through the instructor referral was through a third party with an optional back-up disk. Whenever I open this, it takes a long time to load and the simplest projects can take an hour or two.

14. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I try to be pretty vigilant and only get most of my pirated stuff from forums, where others have also downloaded the programs and checked them out for any suspicious stuff such as malware or trojans. I will wait a while before several people have commented on a thread before downloading the stuff being shared and installing it on my own computer. Even then, if it's something I'm still suspicious about, I will install it in a sandbox using Sandboxie.

Another good resource is VirusTotal.com, you can upload files to it, and it will scan them using 50+ different antivirus engines to tell you if anything was detected. The only caveat though is it can only scan files under 128mb. Another important thing to know is that if it's a password protected Zip or Rar file, it will not be able to scan the contents and will misleadingly report the file as "clean".

I have seen some performance issues though, even with "clean" pirated software. In some cases it's due to the program trying to "phone home" somehow but it's being blocked in some manner due to how the software was cracked/nulled. It will persistently keep trying at times, and constantly erroring out. Similarly, if it's trying to auto-update or check for updates, and those are blocked, the program can get into a stubborn endless loop of trying again and again.

15. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always scan the stuff that I downloaded before opening it, with the exception of mp3's and movies, and so far they have been harmless. I did experience opening a PDF file before, and AVG told me there was a virus in it. I never knew you can attach a virus to a PDF file. I will check out Virus Total, Spy Shelter prompts me to use it, but I just couldn't be bothered to upload the files.

16. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There can't be a performance difference between pirated and original software unless using the software requires some sort of authentication on the developers website before you can start using it. Those who "crack" the software can get around that but it means that unlike someone who has bought the software you won't get any updates that would fix bugs and stuff like that.

Otherwise I believe that pirated works as well as the legit copies.