Do you sell the clothes you don't wear?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by True2marie • Mar 5, 2014.

1. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    Kim Kardashian did it and so have many other people - selling the clothes they no longer wear. I normally donate my old skirts and pants to a local Goodwill. It's my way of helping others. Yet, I am considering posting items on eBay.

Do you sell the clothes you don't wear?

2. marmunmrhundun

marmunmrhundunBanned

Threads:
    I don't really sell any clothes really. Whenever I stop wearing something, I just throw it away. I know it seems like a waste, but it is hard to find someone who is willing to purchase clothing from you. Let along clothing that you already wore. That is one of the main reasons I don't sell clothes I already worn.

3. sarz

sarzActive Member

Threads:
    No I don't sell the clothes I don't wear I give them away sometimes swap with family or friends. Some of the time I just tell myself I will wear it one day and rarely ever do. The ones I dont think anyone will want I bin.

Just thought if you had trouble selling your clothes instead of binning them if they are in good condition you can give them to charity. I don't know where you reside but an organisation in the uk called cash for clothes gives £5 per 10kg bag if shoes, clothes, bedding, books and small electricals.

#3Mar 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2014
  4. caseyfacey

caseyfaceyActive Member

Threads:
    If they are nice clothes, I might try selling them to a store that buys used clothes, like Plato's Closet or Avalon Exchange. Overall though, I just donate them. I don't think most of worn, used clothes are worth much after I've already got some use out of them. I don't tend to buy a lot of name brand or high end clothing.

5. angelicagapit

angelicagapitActive Member

Threads:
    I've never sold any of my clothes. I don't have anything against that fact of selling personals, I just haven't actually thought of doing it.

However, I've been obsessed with trying to earn money online, so I'm actually considering posting some things on eBay or selling stuff online in other ways. However, I live in the Philippines and I don't want to deal with international shipping at the moment, so my market is only Filipinos for now. I will use a domestic site similar to eBay called Sulit, and I'll probably start off from there.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I usually just donate them. I rarely buy expensive clothing anyway since they go out of style fairly quickly, and if I ever sold them, I think the effort would be a lot more than what I would get in return in cash, so i just give it away and save myself some time and effort. If I do have some items of significant value, however, I will definitely consider selling them first before eventually deciding to give them away if ever I did. It's just practical, and it's very easy since there's already sites like Ebay.

7. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    I don't really like the idea of selling stuff, especially when it's used items. I normally don't let go of a clothing unless it's really worn out, so there's really not much of a good thing for me to sell anymore. In most cases, once it's time to let go of clothing, I will just throw it away because it's already too wornout that nobody would want to use it any further.

8. Mercvry

MercvryBanned

Threads:
    I try to sell the nice ones online on Ebay a lot.

9. Gmac9100

Gmac9100Active Member

Threads:
    No. I do not sell the clothes that i do not wear anymore. I usually take them to a local shelter, or give them to good will. That way i can help someone less fortunate then I. I can even get a tax write off for the items that i give away.

10. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    I've never sold my clothes. This is mainly because I'm still wearing the same clothes I bought a few years ago lol. I'm not into buying clothes and storing them, I always wear them until they are so worn they're not wearable anymore. When this happens, I'll either throw them away or cut them apart and use the cloths for knitting my torn clothes.

11. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    Personally I tend to donate them to people who have nothing to wear. I prefer that way because I feel like I am donating to a good course. Or simply let my younger brother have it especially if it is some good jackets, he loves them.

12. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    I sell the ones that I know are worth something. But I no longer use Craigslist and Ebay. I've figured out I can get the most with the least amount of work when I use a local consignment store near my house.

Right now, my best "re-sale" items are kids' clothes... the ones still in decent condition. Anything that looks really worn or has stains goes straight to Goodwill, but things like Easter/Christmas dresses, the rare outfit that only fit for a few weeks, and name brand clothing that really holds up more often than not pays me back at least a third of what I spent on it. It is truly how I justify my clothing budget and buying my kids brand new clothes every season. I'm able to keep my budget very low by shopping sales and when clothes are cheap I really don't worry as much about them getting worn out and stained.

13. Mafdet

MafdetMember

Threads:
    I only sold a pair of shoes once because they didn't fit me. But usually I give the clothes away if I don't wear them anymore. I would try to sell them though and see how it goes. Given the amount of money that I spend on clothes, it would be useful to get some back.

14. margarito

margaritoMember

Threads:
    I don't actually sell my old clothes but I donate them to the nearby orphanages. I feel this act more comfortable from my side and I suggest my friends too to do the same. The other thing is I live in a locality where none are willing to purchase old clothes even for a cheaper price.

15. Meowmie

MeowmieMember

Threads:
    I donate them to a thrift store that supports a good charitable foundation, one that has low overhead, uses all volunteer workers, so the money is used for the people that need the help.

16. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    There are many donation bins in my area so I donate them. I do try to make sure that I am donating quality used clothed though. Some of my older clothes are fine, but others are better suited to be dedicated to stuff to wear while painting or doing other dirty jobs. I have never considered selling my unused clothing - it never would cross my mind to do so.

17. costin

costinActive Member

Threads:
    I also donate them, since I`m not interested in them, maybe somebody who needs them would receive them.
    Donating clothes implies a minimal clean status, I can`t understand people who give up their dirty clothes, would they love to receive dirty things too?

18. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    I don't. I usually keep them forever, really, and wear them out. When I don't want them anymore, I donate them or trash them.

19. Oakster

OaksterActive Member

Threads:
    I've never sold my clothes, whenever I have clothes that I go it's entire season without wearing it (not wear a certain coat the entire winter) I'll donate it to charity.
    Usually I manage to donate an item or two after every season, there's no point in keeping that stuff around if I'm not going to wear it and at least it goes towards someone who needs it.

20. daniellemx

daniellemxNew Member

Threads:
    Yes, if I'm not wearing these clothes then why keep them? My town has an online garage sale page on facebook that everyone uses to sell their clothes/house items/etc. I shop on there and sell on there quite a bit, it's like a big community garage sale. I know of a great trick that will help you figure out which clothes to sell, too. Turn all of your clothes hangers backwards in your closet and as you wear them turn the hanger to the correct side and at the end of the year sell the ones that haven't been turned around. If you use a dresser you could just put your clothes in upside down. Of course for the clothes I can't sell I donate. It's nice to de-clutter and to make money on the things you no longer use.