Do You Sell Things On Ebay?

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by Sunshine • Feb 4, 2015.

1. Sunshine

SunshineActive Member

Threads:
    Do you successfully sell things on eBay? What kinds of things do you sell? Has it been a good way for you to make money, or get rid of old things? Or have you found trying to sell things on eBay is a waste of your time?

2. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    The only thing I have sold on eBay is a domain name. I have tried to sell pillows, to no avail. I don't consider it a waste of time, but if you want to be successful, it requires more research than I put in. I heard some guy made lots of money selling underwear. It is said that if you log in,"best selling products", this will give you some indication.

3. steph7h

steph7hActive Member

Threads:
    I do sell on ebay periodically. Sometimes I get burned out on it, so I'll stop for awhile. It helps to have a focus area with a product you are familiar with so you know whether you can make some money on it or not, and that usually comes by trial an error. I've sold a variety of things, but my best profit % came from a used North Face kid's zip up fleece. I made about $40 on it when I only paid a couple dollars for it at Goodwill. If you know what you're looking for, you can make a profit. I have certain books or brands I look for, and if I find them cheap, I know I can make a profit so I will buy them. I don't do it full-time by any means, but as occasional "extra" money, it's not too bad.

4. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    I've tried in the past to sell some reproduction Chinese tobacco posters that I found in a market but there were no takers. But I know that it's a very untapped space. Something I need to fully get my head around is the selling domains space, as I've got a couple I want to offload but couldn't work out how to do it on Ebay. I've gone to Sedo instead, but Ebay probably has a broader base to work with.

5. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've been selling on eBay on and off for a few years. I've made money but I'm not really successful at it.
    There are pickers who make a good living on eBay because they do tons of research and know what the items they buy at yard sales for resale are worth.

6. AlexanderGoodman

AlexanderGoodmanNew Member

Threads:
    I have tried selling stuff on eBay before, and it never really went the way I wanted. I would get people who were looking, then you’d have people who were actually messaging you trying to see if they could get everything a little cheaper. It just became frustrating and then I just decided to give up.

7. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have sold on ebay but it has not been as successful as I would like for it to be. Posting the items with good keywords is one of the keys to selling more products on ebay. I know there are lots of people that make more than 6 figures on ebay.

8. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    [QUOveteran
    The veteran eBay sellers I've seen on Facebook would probably tell you to stick to your asking price and not play ball with the people telling you to go lower. One guy who had a rare toy worth $300 kept getting email offers for $75. Just politely decline the low ball offers and tell them your prices are set.

9. Sunshine

SunshineActive Member

Threads:
    Of those people making 6 figures, do you think they are business owners versed in sales, or do you mean some poeple just click with it and find success?

I guess what I am asking is those 6 figure people - are they just business people, or regular users whose selling ideas took off?

10. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    No. I haven't sold anything on EBay yet. But I know a few friends who already did, and they actually have some good transactions through this marketplace, pretty successful I think.

11. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    I sold on Ebay in the past. I found it to be somewhat of a hassle at the time. First there was shipping that I had to constantly go to the post office. Then there were the fees that seem to pop up everywhere.

Now of course shipping has been made easier since now the post office will pick up packages to be shipped if there is more then one. Also, there are methods of drop shipping that is offered online from different programs. I know someone who is involved in such a program. Yes, they deal with fees and other issues but have made some money. As they put it doing Ebay is a numbers game, the more listings you have the more sells you will make.

12. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are regular people who make a lot of money on eBay because they research what items are worth, then buy them at a thrift store and flip them for more money. So they'll buy a discontinued toy at Goodwill for $2 and sell it for $90 on eBay because it's an in demand toy that they looked up on the internet.
    Some people at Goodwill have their phones out to check the eBay prices of items that they have in their shopping cart.

13. Happy247

Happy247Member

Threads:
    I just got into this ebay selling about a month ago and have already made $300. I'm always on youtube looking at videos and learning what sells and what doesn't. I'm having so much fun with it. Its like a game to me. I want to spend the least amount possible and see how much profit will be made. Last week I went to a thrift store and found a brand new wii game, still in the packaging for $1.91. It sold within a couple of days for $35. And yes there are the fees from ebay and paypal but its still a profit for me. I'm a stay at home mom. If there's anyway for me to make money and still be able to care for my kids at home I'm willing to try. So far, its going great.
    There are also people who dumpster dive to get their items to sell. No out of pocket cost there. I thought about doing that but I got nervous. Is that against the law?

14. Brenda Barnousky

Brenda BarnouskyActive Member

Threads:
    I have tried to sell many things on ebay. The only things I've ever been able to sell are videogames, and they sell very quickly. I have posted a lot of really nice items on there and had no luck whatsoever. I don't
    understand how anyone can make a significant amount of money at it.

15. Brenda Barnousky

Brenda BarnouskyActive Member

Threads:
    There are also people who dumpster dive to get their items to sell. No out of pocket cost there. I thought about doing that but I got nervous. Is that against the law?[/QUOTE]

I think it depends on where you live whether it's illegal or not.I would check the local ordinances first.

16. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Around here, the best stores have trash compactors, so dumpster diving is difficult.
    I think there are laws against it because I've heard of store employees calling the cops on dumpster divers.
    I see a guy around the apartment building dumpsters who picks up some nice items when people move out.
    You can sell big items like furniture on Craigslist.

17. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have gotten things from dumpsters at apartment buildings, cleaned them up and kept them for my own use. I have seen post on facebook of people who dumpster dive and are getting some good products to resell free.

18. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I just posted a couple of items for sale on eBay after not selling anything on there for a couple of years. I have a few items that I do not want anymore, but they are still brand new and did not just want to donate them. We will see how my sales will go. I am not putting a lot of hope into selling these things, but I was able to list them quickly using my smartphone so it was not a huge time investment on my end. I have never been able to go out and find things that I can flip on eBay. Some people just have an eye for that sort of thing.

19. Sunshine703

Sunshine703Active Member

Threads:
    Yes I found selling on eBay quite successful because I got rid of useless household items and received better prices for them then I would if I sold it at a garage sale. I'm normally selling the items lying around my home that I don't use or need anymore. And I'm not making a fortune but I'm making a surprisingly good amount of money getting rid of my clutter so no I wouldn't say it's a waste of time. It's a win win situations because you declutter and make good money at the same time. I'm just a casual seller so I don't actually sell on eBay full-time or anything.