Do You Sell Your Old Computers For Parts?

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by Colebra • Feb 11, 2015.

1. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    Been wondering about doing this for a bit...
    Even opened two computers up, and got all the parts...
    But then I got bored.

Maybe those computers are two old, and no one will be interested...
    And setting up photos for each individual part... That's boring as hell.

Do you think I'll have any luck if try to sell all that stuff in bulk?

Thanks in advance guys!

2. teabwoi

teabwoiActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah I sell anything of mine that is old for parts once I really have no use for them. I think that if you can find people and you are able to sell some of the parts separate then I think you should do that and you really should not worry about selling anything in bulk.

3. MrSuperCoolPenguin

MrSuperCoolPenguinNew Member

Threads:
    I usually sell some of the more important parts, such as ram, hard drives, graphics cards, and monitors. I have a couple a tips for you if you decide to do this.

Firstly, make sure you nuke your hard drive before you send in your computer to be sold. You don't want criminals digging up your files and making you have a hard time. 7 Time file nukes I think are the current military grade standard and there is a 0% chance anyone will be able to recover files after you do this.

Second, make you sure you make your pictures appealing and sell on good sites like ebay. Everyone wants a computer that looks nice, and aesthetic appeal is a big part of this.

I wish you great luck on your endeavor!

4. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah I think you can sell some parts but you have to make sure that they're not crazy old and you don't hike up the price. I think you can sell really old parts to someone on eBay or Craigslist for whatever reason. It's tedious yes, but I'd rather spend a few days getting that old computer sold rather than having it sit and collect dust for another year.

5. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks everybody!

I'm going to get off my lazy ass and do it. Just for the sake of selling something online...
    Maybe they are a bit on the crazy old, but we'll should have to clean them up really nice :p
    And what the hell is nuking a hard drive? :eek:
    Dude I'm super paranoid about that hacker stuff... That hard drive is going to get smashed. Know that... :D

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I personally don't see much value in selling my old computer parts just because by the time I stop using them they are almost a decade old and I doubt parts would bring in much money especially since they are already very much used. I'm sure a lot of other people who have faster turnovers are able to take advantage of this system but I just prefer to keep everything intact for when I want to start it up again someday.

7. Radix24

Radix24Active Member

Threads:
    Most of the computers I have are laptops. I have upgraded twice since I was in College, and I am sure that the parts are already obsolete. It no longer makes sense to break it open and salvage for parts to sell. Unless of course I know someone who is an avid hobbyist. Old parts can be re-purposed or hacked by them...to make new things. As of now, I feel the market is non-existent. I will keep my computers intact for now.

8. Goat of Departure

Goat of DepartureActive Member

Threads:
    If it's really old then you're going to have a hard time selling it fast not unless somebody actually orders it to you or you see an ad about it specifically. If your computer is still pretty much up to date, like maybe a computer from 3-5 years ago then it would still go up but of course within a reasonable price range.

9. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No one is going to buy bulk, I can tell you that much. People do buy old parts separately though, I did that before.

10. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    I know this is dumb because only 3 days have gone by, but I'm thinking I won't go through with it...
    Computers are more than 5 years old :D
    And since I would have to insert every item separately....

Stil...l'm glad I learned about this stuf, even if it really bugs me out. o_O
    What equipment do I need for this?

Thanks a bunch people! ;)

11. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    5 years does sound like it's pretty old but I think you can still wreck a few hits with it. I would suggest you just try and sell the hard drive, the DVD drive, the motherboard (if you think it's still okay) and probably the CPU.

12. TommyVercetti

TommyVercettiActive Member

Threads:
    If I could sell my old parts, I would. The problem is no one seems to be interested, and for the most part, my old parts are plagued with problems. Maybe you could sell the case, or the monitor if it isn't a CRT. I doubt someone will be looking for 5 year old RAM.

13. rightct

rightctActive Member

Threads:
    Many people I know usually simply throw away their old computers without even trying to find customers for the parts, mentioning that they're already old and that no one nowadays still wants to have this in their house. Hah, really? Who said everyone was rich, or that they could even afford a computer upfront? If you sold you computer for $300, and initially bought it for $800, say, in 2004, it's a great deal, but most people don't want to put that much effort for such trivial amounts of money, and preffer to simply forget they even had that respective computers. If I were them, I would even start a small business out of this. :)

14. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    By the time you're ready to get rid of a laptop, the parts have often devalued as technology has improved since you originally acquired it. Only higher end processors and internal hardware will be worth anything, unless you're selling a machine only a few months after it has been released. I'll sell what I can and then recycle the rest.

15. LilAnn

LilAnnActive Member

Threads:
    My husband keeps all of that stuff. We have boxes full of spare parts. To his credit, though, the box has saved our computers more than once. I actually witnessed my son wanted his own computer to play on. My husband pulls out the box, throws one together, and gives it to him. It wasn't a very good computer, but it was just right for what my son needed at the time.

16. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Some people may opt to keep some parts of the old computer so they can use them to build a new computer if they have the expertise and intend to build their computer. Whilst selling does seem like a good idea, I don't think I'll be selling [old] computer parts any time soon. There'd be too much work involved [trying to find a customer].

17. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    I used to sell a lot of junk online including car, bike and computer parts.
    Huge hassle, 75% of the people I had to deal with were deadbeats.
    It's nice to make the extra few bucks and get some space cleared up, but be prepared to deal with societyies worst.
    One time I had a guy offer me a payment plan to buy $50 worth of MTG cards. So many people want you to deliver it and then will low ball you in hopes you drove all the way you don't want to go home without a deal.

18. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I thought of selling our old monitors, web cams, keyboards, and motherboards but I honestly don't know where to sell them. I'm kind of wary I might not be paid an amount commensurate to the spare parts' overall actual value. There are so many shady stores around the locality. I'm thinking of giving this selling thing another shot but I hope the results will be favorable.

19. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I’ve never sold my old computers for parts. It occurred to me but from some of the responses in this thread, it sounds like too much of a hassle for not much of a return, especially considering I’ve used laptops exclusively for over ten years. My two old ones are still sitting around, I have to admit. I don’t think we have a good electronics recycling program in my area, otherwise I’d utilize that.

20. bonzer

bonzerActive Member

Threads:
    Selling for parts is a good idea. A computer as a unit does not fetch you much as today's configuration is outdated tomorrow. But Rams, hard disks, monitors, optical mice are going to fetch you some money, if not a fortune.