Do you shop at Goodwill / Consignment Stores? Have you found any great deals?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by joyful728 • Oct 30, 2014.

1. joyful728

joyful728Active Member

Threads:
    Do you shop at used clothing stores? Do you think they are worth it?

I have bought some used kids clothes at a franchise used clothing store (for-profit, not like goodwill), I'll be honest, the price is not extremely great, and for the wear and tear and not having the "Brand New Look' I'm not sure if it is worth it.

However, perhaps with stores such as Goodwill I can find better deals?

2. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I shop at Goodwill's any chance I get. I like every sort of consignment shop, or re-sale store as well. However, I have found that it depends on the area where you are. For example, there is a high end tourist area in the north of the state where I live. Tourists do a lot of shopping at the malls for the summer and I think they must clean out their closest when they leave and then drop them off at the Goodwill's. So this particular Goodwill store usually has really high quality items as compared to other towns where the people who drop of the clothes might have used them longer. I have heard through the grapevine that Goodwill store's are trying to do better at distributing clothing across the country so there is more equal distribution of the better clothing. So maybe this won't be a problem in the future. But at the moment, Goodwill is about as good as its location.

3. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I can't do it. First of all, I hate going to stores that don't have a distinct rhyme or reason, that's why it's always been hard to even shop at Marshall's. But, the main thing is that I just don't believe I can ever get the clothes clean enough, the stores have a distinct smell for a reason and I just can't do it.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It depends on the areas you are in as you can get some good designer clothes that are brand new. In London, many celebrities donate their clothes to charity and goodwill stores and you can find some rare items that they were given as freebies.

I got a Max Mara coat for $40 in beige and they are usually $800, it was used of course, but was in good condition and I have bought a few leather jackets that were nicely worn in too.

I shop around and some stores have good donations and others are very basic items you can buy anywhere else.

5. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I only shop at Thrift and Consignment stores for clothes. I have found many good deals. If it wasn't for these stores I would seriously struggle to have clothes at all at this point. I am rather disgusted with the cost of new clothes. I feel I can find something with 80% or more of the life left in it for 10% or less of the original cost if I buy it at a thrift store. Consignment store also often have clearance racks when things haven't sold really quickly, so I can get some amazing bargains if I look around long enough.

6. Gin0710

Gin0710Active Member

Threads:
    Sometimes. I usually buy things like dishes and silverware at thrift shops, but I don't normally buy clothes there. I often find that you get better deals with clothes at Penny's or Old Navy than at consignment stores. I think it's ridiculous how much people charge for something that was worn already. I remember finding an outfit for my 18 month old at the time and it was $14.00 at the consignment store and an outfit at Penny's was only $7.00. I couldn't believe it! You bet I went for the sale at Penny's.