Do you shop for gifts at garage sales?

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by H.C. Heartland • Jun 30, 2014.

1. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    Last anniversary, I bought my brother and his wife a puzzle that was unopened and still in the packaging at a garage sale as a gift. It was an unusual 3D puzzle and so I thought it worthy of being a gift. What do you think? Do you shop for gifts at a garage sale? If so, what is your limit? I am in fear that I have become desensitized as to what might be deemed 'gross' by others as a gift from a resale type shop or sale. :cool:

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A gift, IMO, doesn't need to new or expensive as long as you know the recipient will like it. I haven't yet bought gifts at a garage sale but should I ever find something which I think would make a great gift for any of the kids who visit me then I definitely would get it. Maybe for older people it might be different but I don't buy gifts for grown-ups so I wouldn't know how they'd feel about getting something that has been used as a gift.

3. Ridge

RidgeMember

Threads:
    I've only done this for things that can't really be bought new. Like really old video games for example.

4. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    I have bought gifts from yard sale. One man's trash is another man's treasure. This is a great saying for any garage sale. I once bought a couple the most beautiful silver picture frame. I cleaned the tarnish off and inserted a photo of them in it. They loved it. Plus, I did spend $100 on it.

I don't think gifts need to be expensive to be great. It is the thought that counts. Now, I would never buy a gift that looks ratty, cheap, or stained up. But something easily fixed, still in the box, or brand new makes a perfect gift.

5. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'd buy a gift from anywhere as long as it's unique enough for me to have a good reason to pick it instead of getting a gift from somewhere more traditional. If it's an item that could only be found at a discount store or at a garage sale and it's in good condition, I'd strongly consider buying it as a gift, but if it already looks rugged then I'd more likely just pass on it and opt to buy something more conventional. As for the price, I don't mind paying a low price as long as the item's value is substantial enough despite the price tag.

6. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Not on purpose. But if I visit a garage sale and find something that I think a friend might like, I buy and hold onto it until I can gift. As long as the item you buy is not worn out badly, I don't see why you couldn't transform it into a gift. In the end everyone will be happy - you saved some precious cash and the friend receives a nice gift. And he or she doesn't have to know you got it from a garage sale ;)

7. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    Garage sales can be a source of really nice treasures. I would not mind buying something I'd seen in a garage sale and give it as a gift to someone who I know would appreciate it. I can give gifts without any occasion or reason. When I feel like giving something, I give. If I chance upon a great find, why not? If the person who I shop with implies that he or she adores it, I will buy it for him or her right there and then if I can afford it even if it's a used item from a garage sale.

8. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    No, I've never bought a gift at a garage sale. I usually don't shop at garage sales although I do like to at second hand stores. I've found a number of nice things (mainly clothes) at second hand stores. If I found something worthy of a gift at a garage sale I would consider giving it as a gift.

9. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    No, I don't buy gifts at garage sales. I normally go to these events for myself. I rather get presents at a regular store, even a discounted one, to avoid the possibility of picking up something that's missing instructions or a piece that makes it work. No, this isn't always the case at garage sales, you can get some good stuff. I am just leery though that this might happen and I'll be really embarrassed about it.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never tried shopping for gifts in garage sales, because it's rare that I see one in our place, but for sure I will take advantage of the bargain if ever I stumble upon one in our place. I think that as long as the item looks new, then I will not be ashamed in giving it to the person as a gift.