Do You Shop For Groceries Online? What Site Do You Use?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by crackerjack9 • Jan 22, 2015.

1. crackerjack9

crackerjack9New Member

Threads:
    I have been doing more and more of my shopping online. I work full time and recently, my car died, so it's been hard for me to get around. I started getting my cleaning products online and I like it so far. I like getting free shipping, I love having everything delivered to my door. No more lugging home laundry detergent, floor cleaners, cat litter...etc. Now I'm thinking about trying my grocery shopping online. I'm a little hesitant because I want to be sure I'm going to get Fresh Produce and meats and I also am particular about some brands that I use. Has anyone used any of these online grocery shopping/delivery services? Is it worth the money and is the food fresh?

2. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have shopped for groceries online in the past. Having all the heavier goods delivered to your door is so convenient, particularly if you are without a car. I have never ordered fruit, vegetables or meat this way though - I prefer to see these things for myself before I buy them.

3. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I haven't tried shopping for groceries online for the reason that I haven't really thought about it. Now that you mentioned it, I might as well try it. I think this is so much convenient, you don't need to carry all those heavy stuffs.

By the way, is the delivery free? Or do you need to pay a minimal amount to have your groceries delivered at your door?

4. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    No, I don't shop for groceries online. I don't really see the point unless there is a significant reduction in costs. I would much rather just head down to the local grocery store or to Whole Foods and get my shopping out the way rather than pay for shipping costs and such. Just makes more sense to me.

5. Juno

JunoActive Member

Threads:
    I have bought a few things like a spices online. I have mainly tried Amazon. One time I ordered online from Von's and got a home delivery. But, I really don't feel comfortable buying food online because I want to be able to pick out my fruits and vegetables and I worry about where the food is really coming from. I am tempted to try out Amazon Fresh. They have a new food delivery service on Amazon.

6. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't shopped for groceries before today, however, I injured my foot and I can't keep ordering from GrubHub. So, I just ordered something using FreshDirect and we'll see how the delivery goes tomorrow.

Fortunately, I got free shipping on it, so I don't have to pay that. However, I live in the city and the shipping wouldn't be that much more than it would be for me to get to and fro the store.

Most of the prices are in line with what I'd be paying going to the store myself, so other than the tip, I think this may work out for me.

7. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    In my town (which isn't huge) it is the individual grocery store chains that have online shopping. Harris Teeter and Lowe's Foods (maybe regional) both have programs that require a fee (or a membership which saves money in the long run) to order groceries online and then pick them up and stay in your car.

I love it. I don't do it for all my shopping but I probably use it every 3 shopping trips or so. As a mother of 4 kids, it saves tons of time and hassle. But if I ever go back to work, it would become a necessity. Grocery shopping is a chore, no doubt, and not one that I loathe, but that is only because I currently have the time to do it. I cannot stand shopping on the weekends, so online shopping would quickly become my go-to if necessary.

8. Jannnnjan

JannnnjanActive Member

Threads:
    In the UK Tesco have an on line grocery shopping option as well as do other leading supermarkets. I have used Tesco home delivery many times and have found it convenient and cheaper to do so. The delivery charge is cheaper than fuel costs in the UK and you can have the groceries delivered up to 10pm at night.
    However, Sometimes you can make errors and select things on line you did not mean to. For example I once clicked on pasta but discovered that I had ordered a massive catering pack! It took some time to use that up!
    Also, if they do not have what you wanted in store they give you an alternative which you can accept or refuse. Usually they give you a better alternative for the same price so I have always accepted it.
    Overall I would recommend trying out online grocery shopping.

9. yesterdaysmiles

yesterdaysmilesNew Member

Threads:
    Online shopping is the only time I enjoy doing business with Walmart. The times I have done it, I've bought enough so that shipping was free. If you are familiar with the products you are buying, it's much better than walking through that huge barn of a store for an hour, then standing in line for 20 minutes. In many ways, I miss the old days when we had the smaller supermarkets or a corner store, but when it comes to shopping Walmart, online is the way to go :) I remember when Walmart was a much smaller store, itself. Ah...those were the days!

10. barkingsquirrel

barkingsquirrelMember

Threads:
    Where I live, there is a Hannaford Supermarket that offers the option to shop online. You can get really specific about what you want with the produce and meat and what you don't want. When the employee shops you list, they shop your produce and meat as close as possible to your list. When you make your list, you're given a timeframe in which to pick up your groceries. Just pull up with your car, and the employee does the rest (including deduct your coupons!). It's free the first time you try the service and $5 thereafter. I've done it a couple of times and loved it. I would do it more, but there are better deals with double coupons at another store in my town that doesn't offer this service.

11. Peachdejour

PeachdejourMember

Threads:
    I like to use amazon pantry and the shipping is a flat six dollars for whatever fits in the box. I don't have a place that delivers produce, but I have a farmers market I like to go to for that and some organic products. It does help me out a lot to have some heavier products deliver because I have lifting restrictions. Amazon also has coupons and subscription options that can save money on products you buy all the time.

12. RapidRaven

RapidRavenMember

Threads:
    Nope, I don't shop for food online for a few reasons. The primary reason is that I cannot inspect the product before purchasing it. The description given online may be lieing, and I'll receive a product that's not up to be expectations. For example, the product is somewhat stale instead the freshness advertised online. This is not even counting the possibility of the seller selling lower quality groceries to cut costs, or worse yet, sell food that has some bacteria or fungus.

13. kaylahambrick

kaylahambrickMember

Threads:
    I love shopping online in any way!
    One of the best products that I get online is through the Amazon prescription program. You get dollars chopped off of what it would originally be and it renews every few months( you choose how often) I do this with things such as toilet paper and paper towels. I love it! A great frozen food delivery service is Schwanns. They are a little bit pricey, but the food is fantastic. I've never ordered meat from them before, but I'm almost positive that you can. And they are high quality stuff, so ordering from them is a must!!

14. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Not yet for groceries but I had tried food delivery using online ordering system. It's practically the same as call for order or text for order. Well, this online grocery shopping looks exciting to me. I would probably try it if and when it is available here in our place.

15. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have previously shopped for grocery online before, at Walmart and Safeway. That was when I did not have a car and going out for grocery was quite hard. Now that I have a car, I don't really shop online for grocery anymore. However, I do recommend both Walmart and Safeway. They are very straightforward, easy, and efficient when it comes to online grocery shopping.

16. bodiesstretch

bodiesstretchNew Member

Threads:
    I just recently started shopping for groceries online. Fruits, veggies, and dairy mostly. Not from big supermarket sites though. There are a few farmers in my area who had basic websites set up. They blog about their day, post pictures of their animals, all in all, they love what they do and it shows.
    Their prices are a bit higher, but I honestly think it's worth it.

17. S.O. Price

S.O. PriceActive Member

Threads:
    Wow, that is really cool. I have purchased dry grocery goods at sites like Amazon.com but I just assumed that things like fresh fruits and vegetables wouldn't work out so well online. I think it's great that local farmers are utilizing technology to reach out to customers. I'll have to see what's in my area. :)

18. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Here where I live online shopping for groceries is not common, as you don't have to go out to get your fruit and vegetables. There are constantly vendors driving up and down the street, advertising their products. There is a corner shop in every street. And each shop specializes in various products. It's a very different type of economy here than in first world countries. The only time when I shop online is when I want things that are hard to get in this country, such as cashew nuts, buckwheat flour, coconut oil, and a lot more.

19. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Wow, online shopping seems like the ultimate luxury and convenience. I have looked at a few of the sites that offer online shopping and delivery however, and their prices seem really pretty high, so I would rule it out for myself. I do use sites like Amazon.com though that you can grocery shop on and have your groceries delivered to you. That is one good benefit from the site.

20. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I buy the majority of my pet supplies, household goods, and non-perishables online, usually at Walmart.com. The pet supplies alone bring the amount up enough so that I get free shipping, so that isn't a concern. I don't particularly care to individually select the bottle of vinegar or bag of rice, etc., so it doesn't bother me to buy those items online. If I had the option to add in produce and dairy, I might do that. I'm not sure about meat, but, if I tried it out with the produce and was happy, I might consider having the perishable groceries picked out at the store and delivered. I always use Ebates when I shop online, so will usually get a little money back, as well.