Do you shop for the week, or for the day?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Colebra • Aug 25, 2014.

1. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    I shop for the day.
    At this point, I really can't be bothered with making lists and thinking too much about what I'm going to eat tomorrow.
    Of course most people have different responsabilities, but still...

Do you shop for the whole week?

2. tzbt827

tzbt827Member

Threads:
    I only ever shop for the whole week as it can save me a lot of money in petrol travelling to a store only once a week instead of multiple times in a week. It's also a great thing for me as I have a very busy schedule and do not have the time needed to go to the shop every single day when I need a few extra items.

3. jdwriter

jdwriterActive Member

Threads:
    In the US, I would not easily be able to shop for a single day and do it with fresh ingredients anyway, which would be my main reason for doing so in a country like France or Italy. We shop for the week, but end up making a few extra trips for odds and ends that we run out of during the week.

4. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Usually I would shop for the week to get the things I need in the hous so that I do not have to keep running out to pick up things, I like to plan in advance my needs. For the next couple of weeks I will be shopping for the day picking up things I need as I pass the store. If I do not pass the store in my traveles I will not get the item, no special trips.

5. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    In general, I purchase food based on three to five days worth of eats. This way, I don't end up buying items that go to waste. In the past, I used to buy a month's worth of edibles. But, it took too much planning and I still ran to the store anyway before the 30th.

6. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I will do a shop at a large supermarket perhaps every month or so, and there I will stock up on things like dried foods and other items that will stay fresh for a long time. I will also shop for the very fresh food for one week. After that, I will use my local stores for things like vegetables whenever I need them, because they're cheaper than the supermarkets and I like to support local business where I can. I use a lot of frozen veg, so when I go shopping, I usually know that it's something that I'm not going to have to do for a little while. If I went to the shops every day I know that I would overspend.

7. CoolCat

CoolCatMember

Threads:
    I usually shop for the week, and also only cook real meals on the weekends. My husband doesn't eat leftovers, and it's just the two of us any way, so if I cook dinner on Saturday and Sunday I usually have enough leftovers to get me through the rest of the week. (My husband prefers frozen meals. :p)

I should probably clarify, that I will sometimes shop on both Saturday and Sunday if I haven't planned both days out at once, and I get the rest of my lunch supplies while I'm shopping for dinner food. I was receiving a bi-weekly produce delivery, but I have put that on hold and I will likely cancel it completely. That's likely to be replaced with a weekly trip to the farmer's market.

8. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I do all my shopping just once a week, it's much easier for me to organize myself when I have the time to make a shopping list and follow it once I get to the store.
    Not only that, going to the supermarket just once a week let's me save not only quite some money on gas, but also a lot of time, I just don't have the time to go shopping every day, just on weekends.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I do both. I often shop for the week then allow myself to go out and shop for the day for in case I missed anything or if I just suddenly need something else that pops up during the week. The grocery store is very near my house so I don't really mind that much having to drive out again to buy new things. The only problem is the effort as I'm sometimes lazy but I kind of enjoy the trip most of the time.

10. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    I usually shop for the week. My routine consists of going to the supermarket on Saturday and then making most of the meals on Sunday. That way I have food stored and ready to microwave for the rest of the week. I live alone and don't really mind eating re-heated food though, I know a lot of people like their food hot off the stove. I myself love to eat food as soon as it's prepared, but I have so little time or energy throughout the week that it's easier just heating something up.

11. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    My favorite supermarket is not close to my home so I shop for the week - traveling daily a few miles to buy an item or two would be a waste of precious time. Not to mention that by shopping at the supermarket I save some cash, shops near my home I rather expensive. If the supermarket was near my home I can see myself shopping daily, a walk is great exercise.

12. jdjosh123-8

jdjosh123-8New Member

Threads:
    i no what u mean am alyays like that best thing to do i find is shop every three days but just get what u need a big shop to most people is buy everything what u need and might like but if u do it every three days u will save money

#12Aug 28, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  13. kitchencatlover

kitchencatloverMember

Threads:
    We try to shop for our canned foods and non perishables about once of twice a month. We save a lot of money and time this way by planning everything out and saving gas of course. Then we tend to buy bread, milk, eggs, veggies and so forth when we need them.

14. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I usually go to the supermarket two or three times a week, so I would say I usually shop for half of the week... I love going to the supermarket, so I would have no problem to buy for the day. However, as I work full-time and live by myself, I don't have an excuse to go every single day. Also, I find that if you go everything money on necessary things. Going two or three times a week works perfectly for me.

15. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    I go grocery shopping once a week. I do a bigger purchase on the last week of the month and then for the next 3 weeks I make smaller purchases. The things I buy on the big purchase are those that don't spoil, so canned food, rice, etc, and those that are cheaper to buy in large quantities like chicken breasts. The ones I buy on the smaller purchases are things that spoil like fruits and vegetables.

16. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I normally buy what I need in bulk so when I'm shopping for food, I'll always buy enough to last a week or at times a fortnight. I live a little way out of town and since I hardly have any business to attend to daily [in town], popping into town every day for grocery shopping would demand that I waste gas. To avoid that, I find it more convenient [and better for my wallet] to buy what I need once a week and if it lasts longer, it's even much better.

17. Mochaisis

MochaisisNew Member

Threads:
    I don't normally shop for a full week, but I try to get at least enough to get me through a few days. I'll try to stock up for at least the first part of my work week, but after that, I'll buy little things to supplement for the weekend, like bags of salad and other healthy snacks. I normally tend to make meals that last a few days at least, so shopping every day would be unnecessary, and a bit costly gas-wise.

18. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I envy people who can shop for the month and not be at the grocery store every other day. So I guess that answers your question, I shop every couple of days mainly because I can't seem to find a way to shop weekly or monthly. I probably need to be doing menus more to get my food shopping more under control.

19. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I've gone both ways for various reasons. I used to be very disciplined in shopping only once every two weeks, when I got my paychecks. I would buy pretty much the same items, and spend a little over $100 or so. Then as the years went on, and I moved into bigger places with larger kitchens, and started getting hooked on all the Food Network shows, I started doing a lot more elaborate cooking with more expensive ingredients, and consequently started spending a lot more at the grocery stores each month.

Initially I justified it by saying that I was wasting too much food shopping only once every two weeks, because I would buy some things, but never been in the mood to eat them, and they would get thrown out. So instead, I started going to the grocery store just about every day right after work to get exactly what I needed to prepare what I planned to eat that evening. I felt like I would be wasting less, and as a result saving money, but in truth, I was spending too much for ingredients for each of these meals. I would get suckered into buying specialty fresh herbs, or some kind of specialty cheeses, oils and other stuff, then walk out blowing like $30 or more for stuff just to make one meal.

I am trying to get to the point now where I at least only go once a week, not several times a week.

20. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I usually buy food for about two or three days. I like things fresh. There have been times when I lived far away from any centre, and that's when I used to buy in bulk. But since I have moved back to the city, there are even days when I don't bother to shop for food at all, but go eating out, as it is cheap and affordable where I am currently staying.