Do you smoke?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Aurora • Nov 1, 2014.

1. Aurora

AuroraMember

Threads:
    The modern medicine proves that smoking is hazardous to our health and can cause lung cancer. It can shorten your expected lifespan. Given these disadvantages, do you smoke? Why don't you stop smoking? Personally I do not smoke but is curious why people do not stop smoking. Is it so addictive that giving up smoking is out of your consideration?

2. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I don't smoke because it is so unhealthy. I have tried it a couple of times and don't find it relaxing or enjoyable. I'm glad I never got into it because as you said, it's bad for your lungs, skin, teeth, etc. It really takes a toll after prolonged usage.

3. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I do not smoke, I never have. I've never even tried once, honestly, it just never appealed to me. Not only do we all of the medical evidence of how dangerous it is, not to mention second and even third hand smoke and the hazards of it, but to me it's just always seemed like a really gross habit. I don't understand it being a stress relief thing, and I've just never understood the appeal.

4. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I really don't understand how anyone under the age of 40 even starts smoking, much less continues to do it. But, I also don't understand drunk driving either. It's like the two most obvious ways to die are the things that people consistently want to test out to see if they are impervious to smoking and drunk driving.

5. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    No. I do not like the smell, and I am very much aware of the health effects of smoking. My grandfathers both had complications due to smoking. Though they were cured, their health didn't really bounce back anymore. Also, instead of wasting my money on something that will just kill me, I would rather spend my money on more enjoyable things.

6. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I have never smoked till now but I would like to try it once. I always want to try it out and know how it feels. I have not tried it till now just because I am scared that I will get addicted. My family has never smoked till now but I still would like to try it out.

7. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    No, never. I hate the smell of cigarette smoke. My dad was a heavy smoker and it's part of what killed him. I've never understood why people decide to smoke in the first place when everyone have pretty much been educated on how bad smoking is for you.

8. Tellyv

TellyvMember

Threads:
    I used to smoke when I was in high school but stopped after a few months because I was scared of my parents and I also got tired of smelling like smoke all the time. Unfortunately for me I got asthma and that's such a difficult thing to deal with, especially because I was 8 months pregnant when I found out. I'm glad that I stopped when I did but it still affected me years later. I'm lucky that I just have asthma and nothing much more serious. I would never smoke nowadays because the commercials show exactly what can happen and that would be a huge turn off. I'm not sure how anyone could smoke knowing all of the risks involved. I don't like the fact that the media and movies glorify the idea of smoking like it's cool.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I still smoke and I haven't really put in that much effort to quit but I am planning to. Also I just try and limit myself to a few sticks everyday while I muster up enough strength to quit. I am addicted to it and I have Grown accustomed to having it together with certain activities like drinking which makes it hard to quit but at least I am able to limit myself for now.

10. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    I'm a non-smoker. Both my parents smoke and I remember when I was a kid, I swore to myself that I will never smoke because I simply hate them. Good thing none of my friends were heavy smokers. Nobody influenced me. My dad no longer smokes but he struggled several times before being able to successfully quit. My mom, on the other hand, is really stubborn. She doesn't even try to quit.

11. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't smoke - never have, never will. Besides the well-publicized hazardous effects of smoking, the mere smell of smoke makes me feel nauseous. I'd prefer to stay a hundred meters away from anyone who's puffing it. Come to think of it, second-hand smoke destroys your lungs faster than it destroys the lungs of the person who does the smoking. It's a sad fact. People smoke for a number of reasons including social acceptance, lack of emotional outlet and stress just to name a few. Nicotine, a key ingredient in cigarettes, is a minor drug. Thus, smoking in excess leads to addiction.

12. LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08Active Member

Threads:
    I have been smoking since high school. My mother was a smoker and most of my family so I grew up around it which made it easier for me to pick up the habit. I have tried quitting so many times but every time I get upset or mad, I pick up a cig. It sort of calms my nerves. I am planning on trying to quit again because my husband and I are talking about having a baby. I believe with motivation and great support, I will be able to quit the habit.

13. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    I currently do but I plan on quitting soon just because my boyfriend is and it will be better for our health. His father recently got gangrene which was caused by his long term smoking and diabetes and I don't want to see that happen to either of us

14. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiersActive Member

Threads:
    I have been a smoker since I was thirteen and as much as i would love to quit -- I dont see that being an attainable goal for me right now with all the stress I am under. I recently had my daughter -- and while i was pregnant I had cut back to smoking maybe two or three cigarettes a day down from a pack and a half -- and I still smoke less than i was ( mostly because it is winter and both of us have agreed that it is best to smoke outside because of the baby.) Hopefully one day I will be able to make the decision to quit and stick with it.

15. asereht1970

asereht1970Member

Threads:
    I don't and I will never smoke. I hate the smell of smoke and cigarettes. Even if a smoker takes a bath everyday, it seems that the smell of cigarettes is already glued in his body. Also, I read all about the bad effects of smoking all the time in the internet, in health books, and in magazine. So why would I put myself in danger?

16. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I hold my hands up, I also smoke but it's not something I'm proud of. I've tried twice before to quit, but failed miserably both times :( However, I'm seriously looking to quit, because I really want to start a family soon. I'd like to be in good shape and healthy before I get pregnant, and also for when the kids come along. I wouldn't want to smoke around them and set a bad example.

17. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I don't smoke but I've tried smoking during my college days. I was influenced by my friends and we did it almost every night. I think it lasted for about two weeks and I finally decided to stop smoking regardless of what my friends had to say about me. I did not like the smell of tobacco on my hands, it is so overwhelming that it stays even after you wash your hands. The tastes seems to linger in my mouth and no matter how hard I brushed my teeth, no matter how many bottles of listerine I used just to get off that smell, it just won't go. So glad that I stopped smoking and never got addicted to it.

18. happyshopper

happyshopperActive Member

Threads:
    No I don't smoke right now but in the past I did a few times. When I smoked it was sometimes like over the weekend when I hung out with my female friend on a Friday night so it wasn't all the time. It was wrong of me to smoke during times of stress in my personal life because there are other more healthier ways to get rid of stress like yoga and dancing plus other fun activities. It was easy for me to stop smoking since I wasn't highly addicted to it and I don't have any plans to start up again.

19. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't smoke neither I have ever tried, so it's not hard for me to abstain from it. I just feel that it's really cool for me to be not smoking. And honestly those who smoke, I look down on them. Okay, fine I have friends who do really smoke, and I respect them for their decision because it's a self-made choice, but what I hate is when they smoke in front of me like I hate other people's second-hand smoke for me to get inhaled. It's just so annoying that because of other people, I'm getting myself to serious trouble. I'm not sure how true this is, but I have heard that when second-hand smoke is worse than the first hand-smoke to be inhaled.

20. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    I used to smoke but ever since the start of 2015, I haven't smoked a cigarette yet. I hope that I can continue to restrain myself from smoking because as you mentioned, smoking has a lot of negative side effects on our health. I'm also not sure why I couldn't stop myself from smoking before. Maybe it's because smoking gives me the chance to be rebellious. I guess in some way, it helps me release all the pent-up frustrations that I have within me.