Do You Spend A Lot On Perfumes?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by sidney • Mar 21, 2015.

1. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm wondering if you go all out in buying perfumes, because they aren't exactly cheap and they cost almost $50, and those are the cheapest ones that I know of, like CK One. Or you're content with just buying body mists or cheap cologne?

As for me, I personally don't want to waste money buying perfume, since it feels like I'm "spraying" my money into thin air and it just vanished without a trace. :D I prefer to go all out when it comes to electronic items and other stuff. How about you? Do you like to buy expensive perfumes? If yes, which brands? Or you like to keep it cheap, or you don't buy perfumes or colognes at all?

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to work on a perfume counter so I still have plenty of bottles (we had testers free), but there is a limit on what is reasonable. I like nice fragrances, but use then only when I go somewhere special. I used to use it each day, but you can get a build up on your clothes and hair. I have a few favorites like DKNY and Bulgari, but I used to work for CK and I can't bear to look at those anymore.

3. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh I love perfumes! and I have to buy the absolute best, because I just love to smell good when I'm out and about. I pay top dollar for mine, and I don't have a signature scent. I prefer to switch it up all the time, depending on the mood and situation.

I currently have the following:

** for when I'm out and about, doing nothing special*

Tommy Hilfiger (Tommy Girl)
    Cacharel (Anais Anais)

** A step up from being casual lol**

DKNY Be Delicious (apple)
    Nina Ricci (the red bottle)
    Estee Lauder Pleasures
    Marc Jacobs x 3 different ones

D&G L'Imperatrice ** for very, very special occasions**

But now that I'm broke I can't add to my stash, and I'm thinking of experimenting with scented oils.

My dream perfume which I wish I could afford to make into my signature scents is Miss Dior by Christian Dior :) One day!

4. ABC123

ABC123Member

Threads:
    Think it is funny how you worded that you feel like you are spraying your money in the air. I use to buy perfume often, before I was married. Then I got married and my husband had issues with the scents, even though he bought me one while we were dating. I had another guy give an expensive perfume that really did not smell good. I gave it away to a student as a prize. That student probably had not idea the expense they had in their hand. When I did buy perfume I bought from a store where I was able to make my own scent from the variety of scents. I combined coconut and honeysuckle. It smells amazing. I miss it. The store is no longer around too. I wonder if there any stores online that will mix scents. Anyway I know the cost was like $14.99. I thought it was worth it for an 8 oz. bottle that would last for about two months if I wore it each day. Yeah, it seems like the more expensive it is the worse it smells. I find that with the cheaper stuff too. Its the price that is in between that is best. I also got perfume from Victoria Secret that was priced well like $20.00-$30.00 and it lasted and smelled nice too.

5. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    ABC123, I have to agree with you on price not always translating into the best smelling fragrance! The two that readily come to mind are Opium by Yves Saint Laurent and Calvin Klein's Obsession. I actually find it hard to believe that those two fashion house giants created those scents!! Wow, to me they really are FOUL. I'm not saying all hideously expensive perfume is horrible, but you do need to be careful.

I agree too, that mid- range perfume works great for me. My husband once bought me a very expensive Hugo Boss perfume that I loved the smell of, but for some reason, It didn't seem to last as I could never smell it on me! I like subtle, but not that subtle!

6. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I love perfumes but they are all given to me. When my friends especially those who are in abroad asks me what I want, I always told them I would love to have a perfume. I don't tell them what kind of perfume I want, I am not choosy anyway. I don't use perfumes on a daily basis especially the expensive ones, they are reserved for special occassions only.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's a costly collection! I'm sure your friends and relatives know by now what to give you when your birthday or Christmas comes! :)

It does feel that way for me, I guess I'm just not fond of them. I do like to accumulate and collect other things, but perfume is not one of them. ;) I did buy a fake Cool Water Woman many years ago since it was being offered to me along with a bunch of other fakes, and the quality was awful! I never thought that the mid-range ones smell the best. I would be happy to pass that info to anyone who's into buying perfumes.

#7Mar 22, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  8. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never buy perfume because I don't need to. There are days where I just don't wear it. I've been given some as a gift and my mom had a lot of perfume she gave to me and didn't want. I don't think I'll ever get through all of it. A lot of them are cheap but I don't mind because I haven't come across any that has an awful scent.

9. wahmee

wahmeeMember

Threads:
    I love perfumes. Their a certain guilty shopping nessecity of mine. Why shouldnt you smell good. I tend to buy cheaper ones that still smell good ie Elizabeth Arden for daytime and non special occasions and my husband buys me the more expensive ones on occasions like birthdays and anniversaries. I think their the perfect accessories to everything.

10. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am a smell person lol. My nose is very sensitive, and few things are as attractive to me as someone who I already like, who also smells good. *gets weak in the knees and drools*

Having said that, I tend to try to be what it is that I am interested in myself. That means I love to smell good. However, you do not have to spend a lot of money on perfumes in order to smell great. I do not spend over £10 for a bottle of perfume.

11. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I only ever receive perfume as a gift. However, there are two large department stores near me and I'll often call in and try one out. Often, you're given a sample too, which is always a bonus. So I manage to try out a lot of different scents for free.

My favourite is Viktor & Rolf's Flowerbomb but it's really expensive. I'm currently using Tommy Girl for daytime/casual and Jean Paul Gaultier Classique for nights out etc.

12. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Nope. Altho I obviously use deodorants and/or prefumes, I don't really spend too much on them, I don't care enough for some kind of prestige or.. what. I just buy whatever smells nice to me. :)

13. blues

bluesMember

Threads:
    I don't use perfumes that much. I think I've only bought perfume once to realize I'm not really the type to care about how nice I smell (past not stinking) unless it's for a special occasion. I've been given some perfumes as gifts from friends/relatives and I still have never finished a bottle yet... The only one I really like using is the Chanel N5, or whatever it's called, that my mom gave me. Even then, I've still had the same bottle thing for a few years sooo.

14. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    They don't seem to expire, don't they? I have 2 bottles of perfumes from Bahrain that were given as a gift that's still here, and they're around 3 to 4 years old already, since I am still using the body mist that was given to me, and I haven't finished it yet. Although I discovered a long forgotten perfume in my closet which I think was given as a gift last 2002 and it smells different now. I guess that's what happens to perfumes that were not used for more than a decade.

15. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I use branded perfumes, but only mostly because I get gifted a lot of them during Christmas and on my birthday. I think most of my family just started assuming I liked getting those as a gift and since it's easy enough to buy they just use it as a go-to when they are lost on what to get me. I have too much in my collection now though so I'm thinking of selling off some, although I'm thinking twice because I don't think I could sell them for that much.

16. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a perfume intolerance. Anytime I am around people who've applied perfumes I feel sick. Literally. I don't know if this is something common but though it makes it hard for me to hang around perfume users, it at least saves me a bit of cash.

17. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I much prefer to spend money on colognes rather than on perfumes. A bottle of branded and internationally famous perfume would already cost you hundreds of dollars. I'm not yet at a point in my life where I can invest a lot of money just to smell good. Colognes work well with me so I think I'll stick with them

18. Flowerpower

FlowerpowerMember

Threads:
    I like perfumes, but my nose is sensitive and some scents make me sneeze and my eyes water so it's a delicate balance. I never go out of my way to buy expensive or brand perfumes,so if it smells good, doesn't make me sneeze and is within my budget. You can bet It's going into my shopping basket.

19. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    I would say that I'm close to having a perfume fetish. I adore the stuff. I don't buy expensive perfumes like I used to because I'm not financially able to, but when I can buy, I do.
    I usually buy my perfumes from places like TJ Maxx because certain scents are cheaper there. But some of the scents that I like, you can't get there.

I like expensive stuff, but I'll buy the cheap $1.00 perfume at the dollar store as well. As long as it smells good to me, then I'll buy it. I like body sprays too...#Victoria's Secret:).

20. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    I am not really into buying expensive perfumes and fragrances. I just stick to something that smells good but the scent is not too strong, and I also go for the much cheaper ones. I love Victoria's Secret anyway.